Thoughts? Daughter's pain while Running (Read 101 times)

MtnClimber

Hello - interested in any brief thoughts / ideas to pursue - regarding mystery below.

Daughter just wants to be able to run pain-free.

I have a daughter (age 15, 5ft5in, 115 lbs) that is experiencing med-moderate sharp pain in/on left side.

Yes, :-)   - I know what the easy-run-to answer is - "side stitch".  However, she is dancer type, fairly lean, ran XC this past Fall, so generally well-conditioned and fit.  I am doubtful of the easy side-stitch answer.

The pain consistently occurs (98%) within 100-400 yards of starting running - whether at a light jog, moderate or fast pace.  Pain is a level 2-4, sharp enough to cause stoppage, although she often will try to tough thru it.

We have thoroughly reviewed and practiced various running/preparatory techniques to minimize / eliminate a side stitch occurrence (e.g., breathing, diet, etc) with no discernible effect/improvement.  Daughter - no allergies, has hypothyroidism (Father same) and takes Levothyroxine daily.

Daughter taken for standard blood workup - normal except for:  thyroid levels, and possible indication that daughter had had mono at some point prior 12-18 months indicated by slight enlargement of spleen.  However, subsequent follow-up showed spleen returning within normal, and no other abnormality (infection or otherwise) detected.  Daughter also taken for x-ray/sonogram - no abnormalities detected.  We have had her Pediatric Doctor (Children's Mercy) engaged on this, but unable to crack mystery.

Thoughts / ideas that I can further research?  - so very much appreciated.

Thanks!

David

mikeymike

Side stitch.

How long has it been going on? Did it happen one time somewhat suddenly then has happened pretty much every run since? Yeah, side stitch.

Runners run

GinnyinPA

Has she tried doing a walking warmup, then very slow start?

kilkee

runktrun

I had a friend who experienced "side stitches" when racing for years regardless of fitness level, training, speed, and eating habits.  She, however, was able to run at an easy pace without pain.  A chiropractor who was trained in ART (active release technique) finally figured it was related to muscle tightness and scar tissue and I believe the solution was soft tissue manipulation of her psoas and and illiacus.  I don't know all the details, but my anecdote backs up your suspicion that it is not just a "side stitch."  Try seeing someone experienced in sports medicine or a PT familiar with runners and at least explain your situation.  The spleen may still be a contributing factor even though it appears to be back to normal.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.