Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

Text originally by Econo but she asked someone to take over the thread.

Come on -- I know you're out there, hoping to run a sub-4 this year....

This is the year to go sub-4. 

OK?  OK.

If you want to join, all you have to do is post the date and location of your goal marathon in this thread.  You should also join the Training Group here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/4hr/

Hopefuls listed here:

Name............................................Date................Race Location

runnerclay....................................Jan 16.............Bermuda...................no

katiehaugland.............................Jan 30.............Houston....................no, 4:39

Fenderfan.....................................Jan 30............Houston....................no, 4:53

runnerclay.....................................Jan 30............Callaway Gardens...YES; 3:57:56

mcanyon.......................................Feb 13............Mercedes..................no, 4:22

PittMonster....................................Feb 19............Myrtle Beach............no, 4:17

runnerclay.....................................Feb 26............Thrill in The Hills (Trail).....no, 4:40:20

mrcrumpton.................................March 20........Georgia............real close, 4:04

sandyice74..................................March 20..........Georgia

Chris Duckworth.........................March 26.........National (DC).........YES; 3:52:11

jons3116...........................................March 26.........National (DC).......YES; 3:56:01

JML...............................................March 26.........National (DC) .... Switched to 1/2 and did awesome 1:47

Chris Duckworth..........................March 26.........National (DC)

MMEsq.........................................March 26.........National (DC)......No; 4:00:06 (close enough in my book)

Tim Hardy....................................March 26.........Shamrock

pace2race....................................April 10..............St. Louis

gen76...........................................April 16...............?

pukekura.......................................April 30.............Rotorua (New Zealand)......No; 4:18:42

mrcrumption..............................April 30.............Country Music (Nashville) .....YES; 3:56:23

NJPhil........................................May 1...............New Jersey....No; 4:26

Federale........................................May 1...............New Jersey

AXes..............................................May 1...............Flying Pig Cincinnati ... YES; 3:48:00

workn2bfaster.............................May 1...............Vancouver .... YES; 3:57:24

rundmc.........................................May 1................Vancouver

LedLincoln..................................May 1.................Lincoln .... YES; 3:56:35

JenRosie......................................May 14..............Lake Wobegon Trail

rubhadubh.....................................May 22..........Bluenose (Halifax Nova Scotia)

vendoo............................................June 5............San Diego

zonykel............................................June 5............San Diego ..... No; 4:24:57

sbpdx..............................................June 5.............North Olympic Discovery .... YES; 3:56:00

tmcna.............................................June 18...........Grandma's......No; 4:06:04

DanB..............................................June 18...........Grandma's

Turbolegs......................................July 3...............Gold Coast.......No; 4:26:45

althaea35......................................July 3...............Gold Coast.......YES; 3:52:00

Buzz 63...........................................July 24.............Light At The End of The Tunnel

empty1971....................................July 31............San Francisco

runnerclay......................................Sept 18............Fox Valley

Jill_B..............................................Oct 1................St George

mcanyon........................................Oct 9...............Detroit Free Press

mjbrown2001...............................Oct 9...............Chicago

bigbunny........................................Oct 9...............Chicago

JML.................................................Oct 9................Chicago

HankAchieve................................Oct 9...............Melbourne

Buckeye.........................................Oct 16.............Columbus

runohio...........................................Oct 16............Columbus

danyelli...........................................Oct 16............Columbus

CfKid...............................................Oct 16.............Columbus

mattg42..........................................Oct 16..............Baystate

runlarryrun.....................................Oct 16.............Mount Desert Island

Rozzie............................................Oct 17.............Atlantic City

nonoruns.......................................Oct 17..............Atlantic City

TWTIGER03...................................Oct 29.............Sphinx Marathon (Greenville, SC)

chilidogbeagle..............................Oct 30..............Marine Corps

MMEsq.........................................Oct 30..............Marine Corps

vinodrinker....................................Oct 30..............Auckland

SimonR...........................................Nov 4.............Hamilton Road2Hope

Tea Olive........................................Nov 5..............Savannah

Mister O..........................................Nov 6..............NYC

zonykel...........................................Nov 6..............Santa Clarita

theyapper66..................................Nov 12............Thunder Road (Charlotte NC)

shellabree.....................................Nov 20..............Philidelphia

skyedog.........................................Nov 27............Seattle

Mr Play...........................................Dec 4..............White Rock (Dallas)

maddog95835................................Dec 4..............CIM (Sacramento)

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

xor

Copied and pasted from the other thread...

====

Just a note on why the old thread is named the way it is...  The 2010 thread had the common "goal of 4:00" name.  And lots of people previously unknown to the thread would pop in after the fact to say "I ran a 3-something!" and that's it.  Whereas the original point was to create a community of folks who would pick a race in the future for an attempt, discuss how stuff was going, get some good luck mojo going as various race weekends approached, and report back after. So the thread's name changed to be more explicit.

This thread is a lot more fun if people plan ahead (and post about that) than if people just randomly post that they've run a 3-something.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

GA Thrill in the Hills--Feb 26( Sub 4 on a trail)

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Yay, Big Boy! Thanks for putting this new thread up!

Thanks Big Boy,  As cheesy as it sounds, committing on this thread is a big motivator for me, otherwise I'd have give up on running a marathon in the summer.  

After my run today, I am gaining confidence that I can do this at grandfather, did not fall apart on my little rolling course, and got 5 more months to add to my hill running ability.  

Thanks Big Boy! Smile

Right off the bat this year, I shocked myself silly and PR'd Goofy.  So right now I am all about base building for AC in Oct.  Trying to get to a point where my body does not explode with 50 mpw.   Oh yeah, and laying awake at night wondering what my new BQ time will be.

Nanorunner

Hi Big Boy.

Please put me down for Columbus on October 16.  This will be my first marathon, assuming I don't break down with an injury again, so I don't know about the time, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks.

fake it till you make it

Thanks for doing this Big Boy!

I'll bite.  TCM last year was my first and only and I ran a 3:56 which I was quite pleased with.  Next up is Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon (not really a trail run, its a rails to paved trail deal) on 5/14.  My way-over-my-head goal is a 3:40-3:45, but really I just want to finish having fun and hopefully under 4:00 again in hopes that the first time wasn't a fluke.

Oh yeah, and laying awake at night wondering what my new BQ time will be.

And, this too.   

DataJunkie

Going for sub-4 at Rock n Roll San Diego, June 5th.

AXes

mcanyon is up this week.  Good luck in Alabama!

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

Thank you.  I went to the doctor on Saturday to have my knee looked at, and I have severe tendonitis.  At first it started to cause me problems after about 12 miles.  Then it became a struggle to complete 3 miles.  Now, it is painful to walk.  I do have a week to rest it, ice it, and take ibuprophin.  I am a little worried that I might not be able to run, especially since I am traveling from Michigan to Alabama.  

We will see, and I will keep you posted.

Please add me!

Vancouver Marathon - May 1, 2011

Thanks!

Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30

Thread is updated.

Are they really changing the BQ times or is it just speculation at this point?

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

xor

Just speculation at this point.... stay tuned.

yeah I heard that too.  Geez, make it easier, make it easier!  Approve