Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It is not a paying gig.

Yeah, we appreciate what you're doing.

Thanks Big Boy!

Keeping the thread up to date is an endurance event in itself.

Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
        +3 Thanks Big Boy Hope the rising waters didn't cause too much problems. Some of my friends lived on Mud Island. Not a pretty site right now.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Everything is fine here, nervous executives ended up being the worst of my worries.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Big Boy,

I am shooting for under 4hrs at the Spinx Marathon in Greenville, SC on 10/29/11. I debated on whether to join this thread because Im not sure if I'll be able to make it. However, thats what this is for right? Might as well give it a shot. Thanks

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

Sure.  At this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it either, but it won't be for lack of trying.

You're in.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

It's good to at least commit in this thread.  Seriously, it will always be in the back of your mind.  When I ran my first and only last December, I had committed to sub-4 on here.  When I started cramping up a little past mile 20 and the 4 hour pacer passed me at 21, the first thing I thought about was this thread and how I had to come back and post my fail. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sure.  At this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it either, but it won't be for lack of trying.

You're in.

More miles, boys, more miles.

Like me, Mister O, you need to start running!

Both of us have empty logs.....

I have loaded a few of my runs, my actual training plan starts 2nd week in June, so just trying to stay active till then

2011 Goals

Half Marathon: sub 2 hr

Marathon: sub 4hr

4 miles: sub 32 mins

10k: sub 60 mins

sbpdx

Ugh - had my last long run (20 miles) prior to the marathon and I felt completely wiped at the end. My heart rate felt way too high for the last 3rd or so of the run and another 6 would have been awful (if not flat out impossible) today.

I haven't felt entirely right all week, not exactly sick but not exactly 100% either. It was also a bit warmer than I've been generally training with, so perhaps that was a factor. I've got my fingers crossed for race day that I'll be feeling better.

Aaaand I am done with the whining. An hour after the run and I am feeling pretty good, definitely sore & tired but in a "good" way.

Had a big glass of water, glass of chocolate milk, banana and a bagel w/ pb right after the run. Also just finished with stretching and a foam roller and I am off to the showers...

Ugh - had my last long run (20 miles) prior to the marathon and I felt completely wiped at the end. My heart rate felt way too high for the last 3rd or so of the run and another 6 would have been awful (if not flat out impossible) today.

I haven't felt entirely right all week, not exactly sick but not exactly 100% either. It was also a bit warmer than I've been generally training with, so perhaps that was a factor. I've got my fingers crossed for race day that I'll be feeling better.

Aaaand I am done with the whining. An hour after the run and I am feeling pretty good, definitely sore & tired but in a "good" way.

Had a big glass of water, glass of chocolate milk, banana and a bagel w/ pb right after the run. Also just finished with stretching and a foam roller and I am off to the showers...

Hopefully the taper will get that body back to feeling close to 100% before race day.  Good luck.

zonykel

Had my long run today (21 miles) and slowed down (unintentionally) in the last couple of miles. We were shooting for a 9:45 pace, but those last couple of miles were well over 10 minute miles, and it would have been hard to will myself to go faster.

I was hoping during the marathon I would have been able to do 9-minute miles. I can certainly hold that pace for a half marathon. Should I rethink my approach and go slower in the first few miles (say, 10-minute miles) before dropping down gradually to 9-minute miles?

I'll also need to carbo-load the week prior to the race (June 5) and get lots of sleep. I certainly didn't do that this week, but I'm not sure if it was a factor. I thought I refueled well during the run today, so I don't think that was an issue.

I did feel that my limiting factor was "pain" or "soreness" around both ankles, and less so on both knees. I don't think it was the leg muscles that were tired.

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll also need to carbo-load the week prior to the race (June 5) and get lots of sleep. I certainly didn't do that this week, but I'm not sure if it was a factor. I thought I refueled well during the run today, so I don't think that was an issue.

Don't forget to get some protein in you too.  I found that eating good carbs with plenty of protein during the week does the trick.  I think too many people overlook getting the protein in their system.  I had salmon twice during my marathon week...it's good for your mood too wihich you definitely need for the stress and that damn taper.

More miles, boys, more miles.

Well right now I am just trying "more time".  When I did the HM this spring, I was racking up as many miles as I could handle, and I came close to falling apart before the race.  I got extremely tired and my training got very inconsistent.  I ran a good race, but it tore me up.  I just now feel like I am recovered.

So for now I am just going to build up to running 6-7 hours per week consistently again.   I have decided that for Chicago I am going to do the Benji Durden plan.  In the past the hard/easy theory has worked very well for me, and the Durden plan kind of takes it to the extreme, so I'd like to see how that works out.  It's kind of opposite of what I was doing for the half which was Keith Livingstone/Lyrdiard inspired, racking up a good distance each day consistently without much workload modulation.

I have got to cut the cycling out though.  Been doing it much more than running the last two months and it's not going to help for the marathon.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Turbolegs

I ran a HM on Saturday evening (28th) at the Sundown Marathon here in Singapore. Finished with a decent effort and chipped at 1:55:59. Weather was on the more humid side, as this was run close to open waters but with no breeze. My target going in to the race was to go below 2 hours (for the first time) and the stretch was to run a 1:53 (if for no other reason than to be in line with McMillan predictions for a Sub 4 FM). Pretty satisfied with the effort.

Gold Coast Marathon is in 32 days. The Sub 4 question just got bigger for me ..

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.