Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

hmm.  i don't think that big boy is playing any longer?

steph  

Gene Rocha

I will be running my first marathon on October 16th (Toronto Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon)  I am targetting a sub 4:00 as my gold medal goal for this race.  My PR in my only half marathon is 1:53:05.  I have been doing my last few long runs at 5:30KM pace and have felt pretty good.  I did a 24K in 2:11:40 on a cold, windy day last week.  My longest run in training was 33K but I also had to 30K in there.  All in all a sub 4:00 would be a dream but I will be happy with a smiling, healthy finish!  That being said I am going to give it all I've got.  I have 1 in 110 people counting on me (autism prevalance rate in the world) Especially my family!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

hmm.  i don't think that big boy is playing any longer?

Last I noticed, he's still moderating this, though he had to drop the sub-4 goal.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Last I noticed, he's still moderating this, though he had to drop the sub-4 goal.

i don't think that he has updated since july.  

steph  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

i don't think that he has updated since july.  

You're right.  Apparently, last I noticed was in July.

Mr Play

Today's tune-up 10k went pretty well.  I finished in 45:30 (unofficial) which was a 10k PR by 1:20 or so.  The best part is, I paced a 13-yr old kid to 3rd place overall and it was a 10-minute PR for him.  I slowed down a little to help him do his best, but honestly it was about as fast as I could have run the distance too.

Anyway, Macmillan shows just under 3:34 off of that 10k time.  The goals I'm kicking around are either taking a half hour off of last year's time (ie 3:36 this year) or rounding it up to 3:40, which would be a minute per mile faster than last year's time.

Thoughts on what my goal should be?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Today's tune-up 10k went pretty well.  I finished in 45:30 (unofficial) which was a 10k PR by 1:20 or so.  The best part is, I paced a 13-yr old kid to 3rd place overall and it was a 10-minute PR for him.  I slowed down a little to help him do his best, but honestly it was about as fast as I could have run the distance too.

Anyway, Macmillan shows just under 3:34 off of that 10k time.  The goals I'm kicking around are either taking a half hour off of last year's time (ie 3:36 this year) or rounding it up to 3:40, which would be a minute per mile faster than last year's time.

Thoughts on what my goal should be?

3:40 looks doable on fresh legs.What plan are you using? Your training plan appears a little suspect. Two 20 miles within 4 (4 / 2)weeks of the marathon.Last 20 miler should probable be 3 weeks out.Taper for 3 weeks. With the training plan you have <4 maybe a  problem.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Mr Play

I'm using Pfitzinger's 12/55 plan, plus two weeks at the beginning.  I have split custody of my kids, so I did a lot of shifting to work around when I have my boys.  I moved those two 20 milers up one day to Monday instead of Sunday since those are my weekends with the kids.  I figured moving those runs one day wouldn't hurt anything, but I can readjust if I need to.  Moving the Mon 11/14 20-miler back to Sun 11/13 would put it at exactly 3 weeks out.

Nanorunner

Tomorrow's the day I was supposed to try my first marathon and shoot for <4:00.  Unfortunately, a ham string injury in June that doesn't want to improve will cause me to put that off till next year.  You can mark me as a "miss".

Mariposai

Well, I did commit to a sub four

I did it in July

and now I am Boston bound!!!

If a slow poke can do it!!!

so can you!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sept 18** 3:37:38

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I ran the Detroit Free Press Marathon and did 21 minutes better than my first marathon in February, but still finished short.  4hrs 1min 15sec.  I somehow managed to put on 20 lbs. between my first and second marathons.  I am sure that extra weight cost me more than 2 minutes.

Maybe next time.  I am running the Glass City Marathon in April.

10/16/11 - Baystate Marathon

3:49:29

Destroyed 4hrs. Took almost 30 minutes off my PR.

Turbolegs

Destroyed indeed !! Fantastic result man. I think you should now through your hat in the 3:30 thread for 2012. Awesome!!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

danyelli

I did it!  Time for Columbus Marathon (10/16) was 3:50:09, woo hoo!  This was my 4th marathon and my second sub-4 with a PR by 8 minutes 23 seconds! :-)

But it was SO hard, I'm not sure if I actually had any fun running it.  Feels great to pull in an awesome time but marathons seem to be getting harder not easier when you really go for a time goal.  BTW, as a Chicagoan I must say that we really are flat and other places are not.  Everyone kept saying that Columbus is a flat course.  It may be true that it's not hilly but my legs were crying with every incline throughout it.

Good luck to everyone who still has 2011 races to go.