Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

Turbolegs

I did it!  Time for Columbus Marathon (10/16) was 3:50:09, woo hoo!  This was my 4th marathon and my second sub-4 with a PR by 8 minutes 23 seconds! :-)

But it was SO hard, I'm not sure if I actually had any fun running it.  Feels great to pull in an awesome time but marathons seem to be getting harder not easier when you really go for a time goal.  BTW, as a Chicagoan I must say that we really are flat and other places are not.  Everyone kept saying that Columbus is a flat course.  It may be true that it's not hilly but my legs were crying with every incline throughout it.

Good luck to everyone who still has 2011 races to go. 

CONGRATS !!! Keep it going!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

uncontrollable

Congrats!  I hear ya - running a marathon & even 'running it well' is such a different experience than racing a marathon & obtaining a goal like you did ... there is no 'in the zone' moments for me when I've done it - I just feel intense focus & pressure & even a consistent crankiness for a mood the whole time: no smiling - being silly for spectators - high fiving little kids - or giving out encouragement to other runners: it is such a hyper vigilant state for me so that I don't slip off pace.  It is WICKED hard.  I am attempting a challenging goal for myself at Philly next month so think of me please!

peace

oops, logged in under wrong name.

3:55:18.  Atlantic City.

No PRs, no BQs.  Training cycle took a big hit.  Dad passed away, we opened a new restaurant.  So I was happy to escape with what I did.  Especially since I hit my first wall ever at mile 25--and it was ROUGH!  Lost my cookies too on the beach afterward.  Hopefully by Jan I can step up training and start the new year out with a sub 3:50 at Disney.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

3:55:18.  Atlantic City.

No PRs, no BQs.  Training cycle took a big hit.  Dad passed away, we opened a new restaurant.  So I was happy to escape with what I did.  Especially since I hit my first wall ever at mile 25--and it was ROUGH!  Lost my cookies too on the beach afterward.  Hopefully by Jan I can step up training and start the new year out with a sub 3:50 at Disney.

Deepest condolences. You made the <4. Congrats.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Terrible training in July & August lead to not being able to attempt 4hrs. Going into marathon I was hoping to break 5hrs. My 20miler felt awful and took everything to just finish, (took exactly 4hrs). So, I knew I would be luck to get under 5hr in the marathon.

Thanks to a great pacer, I was able to finish in 4:34:36. This was my second marathon and about a1hr45min. faster than my first one 4 years ago. So....I was still very excited about my time and couldn't be happier.

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

First Marathon 3:52:54 on a very warm day.  Had written a plan to go close to 3:40 but just wasn't gonna happen on the day.  Still reasonably happy but I know i can go faster

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

First Marathon 3:52:54 on a very warm day.  Had written a plan to go close to 3:40 but just wasn't gonna happen on the day.  Still reasonably happy but I know i can go faster

Congrats on completing your first.  Heat stinks. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats

TWTIGER03 

vinodrinker

Go  GA TECH Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thanks RunnerClay. What is this GA TECH you speak of? I had a traumatic experience Saturday night and do not recall anything that happened between 8pm-12am..

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

bigboy-

please change me from the savannah marathon on the 5th of november

to the soldier marathon columbus, ga. november 12 

thanks.

Chip time:  4:01:11.

steph  

Elyria, OH on November 6th: 3:39:45!

Did a race report here!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Chip time:  4:01:11.

Wow - really close to 4:00, which is just an arbitrary number anyway.  I see you got your BQ!!  Congratulations Steph!

Elyria, OH on November 6th: 3:39:45!

Did a race report here!

Ryan that is awesome, man. Steph, congrats on joining the club for Boston.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zonykel

Unfortunately, I had to scratch my marathon plan & switched to the half. It was simply taking too long to do my training runs. Maybe I'll rejoin the marathon ranks in a year or two.