Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

Well, I finished.  But, it took me 4:22:16.  Before I joined this thread and when I started my training, my goal was 4:30:00.  So, at least I beat that.  I think I went out too fast and didn't drink enough fluids.  I got to the halfway point in under 1:50:00, and felt fine.  When I got to mile 19, I was still 9 minutes ahead of the 4 hour pace.  But, at mile 20, both my calf and quad in my right leg cramped up, and my left quad too.  I stopped to stretch and massage it.  But, it just kept happening more and more frequently.  I was force to walk the majority of the last three miles.  

I know I could have done it if I ran a slower first half, and hydrated better.  As far as endurance, there were no problems.  My next attempt will probably be in Oct. at the Detroit Free Press Marathon.

Even though I didn't break 4 hours, I am still ecstatic to have finished, and with a decent time.  This time last year, I was completely out of shape, and could not even run 2 miles.

Thank you everyone for your encouraging works of support, and advise.

thanks for the report!  and you did good, no you did great! beat your original goal by 8 mns and learned some valuable things about yourself as well.  You will be even better prepared & experienced next time.   and look how far you've come since last year, whoo hoo!   

But, at mile 20, both my calf and quad in my right leg cramped up, and my left quad too.  

Same thing happened to me.  Both my quads cramped as I passed the mile 20 checkpoint.  I should have used S-caps.

thanks for the report!  and you did good, no you did great! beat your original goal by 8 mns and learned some valuable things about yourself as well.  You will be even better prepared & experienced next time.   and look how far you've come since last year, whoo hoo!   

Thank you Skyedog.

I rarely take away valuable information from runs.  But, I definitely did today.  Mentally and physically tired right now.  But, I'm sure in a couple days, I will be itching to start training for the next one.

of course you will be "itching to start training for the next one"  but I am sure that you are wise enough to take it very easy for at least 2 weeks and maybe longer for full recovery.  So wont even mention it.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thank you Skyedog.

I rarely take away valuable information from runs.  But, I definitely did today.

Good job with the PR.! Now you know the marathon starts at mile 20. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. Probably not Cry.

My splits for reference: 1:04:07 mile 7--- 1:57:10 mile 13----3:01:55 mile 20---3:57:56- 26.2(56:01 --10K)

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Good job with the PR.! Now you know the marathon starts at mile 20. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. Probably not Cry.

Well, I learned that the marathon starts at 20 and now I just have to run another to see if I really learned anything.  One thing I do know, it doesn't seem like I learned from bad experiences with 5K's, 10K's, or HM's.  I still make dumb mistakes every so often in those races. 

AXes

Even though I didn't break 4 hours, I am still ecstatic to have finished, and with a decent time.  This time last year, I was completely out of shape, and could not even run 2 miles.

Coming that far in a year is an amazing accomplishment!  Congratulations on the progress, and on gutting out those last 3 miles.  And thanks for sharing the lessons learned and your frame of mind.  It really helps me as I'm counting down to my race.

+1 on taking it easy for longer than you might think.  Made that mistake last time and it cost me some stupid injuries.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

+1 on taking it easy for longer than you might think.  Made that mistake last time and it cost me some stupid injuries.

my goal marathon is not until Thanksgiving weekend, so gives me plenty of time for the training (based on Lyiard) & then plan on using the full month of December for recovery (but plan on continuing 100 mpm streak)

Good job on your first marathon mcanyon.  With all of the experience you've gained you should be able to go sub 4 in Detroit.

Turbolegs

Well, I finished.  But, it took me 4:22:16.  Before I joined this thread and when I started my training, my goal was 4:30:00.  So, at least I beat that.  I think I went out too fast and didn't drink enough fluids.  I got to the halfway point in under 1:50:00, and felt fine.  When I got to mile 19, I was still 9 minutes ahead of the 4 hour pace.  But, at mile 20, both my calf and quad in my right leg cramped up, and my left quad too.  I stopped to stretch and massage it.  But, it just kept happening more and more frequently.  I was force to walk the majority of the last three miles.  

I know I could have done it if I ran a slower first half, and hydrated better.  As far as endurance, there were no problems.  My next attempt will probably be in Oct. at the Detroit Free Press Marathon.

Thank you everyone for your encouraging works of support, and advise.

You rocked the road despite not going sub-4 man. I can guarantee you one thing: When you do go sub-4 later this year, it will taste a damn sight sweeter than had you done it this time. Cos now you want it more than you ever did before.

And as an aside, you have set a really nice tone for the rest of us wannabes ...

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

mcanyon, Good job on finishing your first marathon in a pretty decent time.  

However the training you had for this was probably just enough to complete the distance.  You seem to run every other day and lift weights the off day. This is fine if lifting weights makes you happy.  However if you have a time goal you may want to  add another day of 2 of running, and maybe a midweek medium long run of 9-10 miles or 90-100 minutes of running whichever comes first.  You could even decrease the long run a bit to 16-18 miles at peak and instead run a bit more frequently  and a sub 4 should be well within your reach by October.

FWIW, this is coming from someone who has run a grand total of 1 marathon in 4:32, so I may not know what I am talking about, but that's what I've been advised to do many times from some knowledgeable folk.

You rocked the road despite not going sub-4 man. I can guarantee you one thing: When you do go sub-4 later this year, it will taste a damn sight sweeter than had you done it this time. Cos now you want it more than you ever did before.

Thank you Turbolegs.  I was thinking the same thing, but not because I will want it more, but because I will respect how hard it is and how great of an accomplishment it is.  Getting to 20 miles seemed a little too easy, and it seemed to me that it wasnt going to be as gratifying as i thought it would be.  But, now I know that the last 6 miles of the race are truly humbling, and you need to run the first 20 correctly in order to finish the last 6.

Happyfeet.  I was following a beginners training plan.  and followed it pretty religiously except for the last 3 weeks when i was injured, and i missed to runs mid way because of the stomach flu.  I lifted weights on days off to help lose weight.   I wanted to be down to 180 for the race, which i did.   I have lost over 85 lbs in a less than a year and a half.   I think the plan just wasnt geared towards running a sub 4 marathon.  It even says it is for  true  beginners who just want to complete a marathon, which is all i wanted to do.  But then when it got closer to the date, and i was getting a realistic goal in mind, i was thinking 4 to 4.5 hours.  

Thank you everyone.  Now I have to find some why to get my aching body to the airport.

Happyfeet.  I was following a beginners training plan.  and followed it pretty religiously except for the last 3 weeks when i was injured, and i missed to runs mid way because of the stomach flu.  I lifted weights on days off to help lose weight.   I wanted to be down to 180 for the race, which i did.   I have lost over 85 lbs in a less than a year and a half.   I think the plan just wasnt geared towards running a sub 4 marathon.  It even says it is for  true  beginners who just want to complete a marathon, which is all i wanted to do.  But then when it got closer to the date, and i was getting a realistic goal in mind, i was thinking 4 to 4.5 hours.  

Two comments.  #1:  Congrats on that weight loss.  85 lbs. is huge in that time and is a great accomplishment.  #2: I ran my first marathon with a Fleet Feet group that pretty much had a beginning plan.  I think that plan hurt me in the long run to get under 4.  They pretty much told us this program was designed so we can stay healthy and finish the race.  Pretty much all 100 of us in this group was training for our first marathon so I understand why the program is designed the way it was.  I may join that group again if I'm healthy enough to train for a December marathon because I like the group training atmosphere.  I wouldn't follow the program like I did last year though.  The one thing I would change would be to add a longer mid-week run.

PittMonster

Just found this thread and thought I would throw this out there.  I run Myrtle Beach this Saturday (2/19) and I'm hoping for sub 4:00.  This will be my 4th marathon.  The previous 3 all with times ranging from 4:12-4:17.  I've definitely got 4:20 licked, I just need to find 30 seconds more per mile and make 4:00.  

I did Las Vegas last December and finished in 4:14.  This race was kind of a throw in since I didn't really plan it, but felt like I was in shape so why not go for it.  I'm not sure I'm as well trained for this one, but maybe the experience will help.  I tend to struggle beyond mile 18 (who doesn't though right?).  I need to learn to run that last 8 miles stronger and I'll be good.  

Either way the goal is for 4:00 on Saturday.