Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Ok.  I've got my target race picked out - had a hard time finding one that fits my weird fall schedule.  Looks like I'll be running the same one this year that I did last year - so at least I know the course.

Sub 4 will hopefully happen on Nov. 12 - Thunder Road Marathon - Charlotte, NC

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Okay. I have been watching this thread and I have finally commited to my first full so let's see if I can pull under the 4 mark. March 20 Georgia Publix Marathon!

Good luck. Go easy.The course is hilly.. Knee issues last year so I switched to the half. Glad I did. Last year 40F,rain  and 10+ mph winds.The 1st year it was 70F.

Our running club is volunteering-  N Highland Ave & North Ave to Piedmont Park Entrance. Looks like we are on the section  that splits the half and the full. Miles 7,8 , 9 and 21.5.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

theyapper

On the road again...

MTA: nothing, just remove my response, since I responded to the wrong quoted post.

Paul

L Train

I will make Sub 4 will hopefully happen on Nov. 12 - Thunder Road Marathon - Charlotte, NC

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for fixing that.  Seriously.  I went back and read my initial post again and realized I'd made it sound like something arbitrary that "may or may not happen."  That's stupid.  I'm working my butt off now so it will happen then.

Paul

Paul, I just realized that they moved Thunder road to Nov.  WTF  Puts a wrench in a lot of my plans.  Wonder if they moved the Dowd Y run as well

theyapper

On the road again...

Dowd Y run is Oct. 22.  I can't do that one, which I'm bummed about.  Kind of want that 39.3 medal.

Paul

I am setting an ambitious challenge to go sub-4 at the Melbourne Marathon (Australia) on 9 October - however I have a lot of proviso's and challenges to pass between now and then:

1. Balancing work and part time MBA study, although this year my schedule looks a lot better than the end of last year
                  2. Have our first child due in July/August which could definitely impact on sleep and ability for long runs
                  3. My wife is maid of honour in a wedding on Oct 8 (the day before)

However, I will commit to the training on a week by week basis and see how things go - it's been almost three years since my last full marathon and the itch is driving me crazy. Got a few races between now and then to keep the enthusiasm going but think I might need some support on here too!

James

Just running for the fun of it!

Turbolegs

I am setting an ambitious challenge to go sub-4 at the Melbourne Marathon (Australia) on 9 October - however I have a lot of proviso's and challenges to pass between now and then:

1. Balancing work and part time MBA study, although this year my schedule looks a lot better than the end of last year
                    2. Have our first child due in July/August which could definitely impact on sleep and ability for long runs

However, I will commit to the training on a week by week basis and see how things go - it's been almost three years since my last full marathon and the itch is driving me crazy. Got a few races between now and then to keep the enthusiasm going but think I might need some support on here too!

James

James - Congratz on the baby !! And definitely will wait and watch to see you rock the Melbourne marathon. Hit those miles ... 

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

James

Good luck to you and your wife.  Pretty soon she will be very uncomfortable especially at night when trying to sleep.  Just try and keep her as happy as possible but I'm sure you already know this.  Now regarding sleep and a newborn.  It took about 3 months before I was able to get a solid 5-6 hours sleep with both my daughter and son but every baby is dfferent.  I wasn't training for a marathon at the time, but I was running alot with a HM several months away.  The key for me was to always get a nap in.  I've never napped until I had kids.  Not sure if you'll be able to do that with your schedule but if you can, I highly recommend a nap especially during marathon training when you'll be ramping up the mileage.

Welcome and good luck James.

Melbourne is my favourite marathon...probably something to do with it being the only time I have gone under 4 hours.

My kids aren't newborns any more, but our daughter has enough medical issues that seem to ruin all training plans.

Luckily my wife is also very understanding (family holiday in Melbourne helped) but sometimes you find yourself going for runs at weird times.

I guess my advice (fwiw) is to get your fitness base up early in the year and once baby is born focus on speed with shorter runs more often.

Well, it worked for me Smile

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

PittMonster

Paul, I just realized that they moved Thunder road to Nov.  WTF  Puts a wrench in a lot of my plans.  Wonder if they moved the Dowd Y run as well

I was unhappy to see that as well.  Not sure why they changed up the fall race schedule.  It's making me change things around as well.  I'm thinking I will just do the half at Thunder Road and am going to push for Disney World in January.  

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. Only 225 days until the marathon so the countdown is on!

Talk soon

James

Just running for the fun of it!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I was unhappy to see that as well.  Not sure why they changed up the fall race schedule.  It's making me change things around as well.  I'm thinking I will just do the half at Thunder Road and am going to push for Disney World in January.  

DW wants to go to Disney,again and again and  again........So I may do Disney.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Sorry for being MIA the last couple of days guys ... took a few days off for a minor achilles issue, so never hit RA to log my non-existent runs and have been otherwise preoccupied.  I'm getting stuff updated now.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012