Eating before a morning run. (Read 395 times)

II Run II

I like to eat before my runs in the morning, but I never know how much/what I should eat.  Today, I ate cereal, eggs, and drank some milk, and I felt bad during my run.

What do you guys eat?

Also, on that run, I died about half way through.  I'm not sure of the cause, but is it possible that worn-out shoes (the soles are pretty bad), or what I ate could be it?

JimR

I just drink some water.  Sometimes not even that.

sugnim

I have a bowl of cereal with a banana 1.5-2 hours before heading out.

When you say you "died" half way through, what do you mean?  Your legs got tired?  Cramps?  GI issues?

Always a popular topic, everyone has a theory on this one.

For first thing in the AM on weekdays before work, I usually have nothing other than maybe a glass of water. On weekends I often have something light but carby when I get up, e.g. toast & jam (or I am partial to frozen waffles), banana, then wait an hour or so before I run.

Everyone is different; some can't tolerate anything in their stomach, some can run straight from the all-you-can-eat buffet. You will need some trial & error to see what works for you.

Not nearly enough info to know what made you die halfway through. But keep in mind that as the weather warms up, you will need to be more careful with hydration & probably also slow down your paces.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I eat nothing if the run is less than 10 miles but would eat cereal with almond milk and coffee if it's my long run.

As to the 10 miles no food theory, I am changing that to at least eat a gel or Gatorade since I almost passed out two months ago after a hot and humid 10 miler.  I should know better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gator eye

Cup of joe and out the door for anything under 10. Over 10 I'll have a small bowl of cornflakes or maybe a little oatmeal then a cup of joe and out the door.

If I ate cereal, eggs, and milk before a run i would need a nap first.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nothing.

Or Pop Tarts.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

On early morning runs during week water or sports drink - season dependent.  On weekends for long runs or races usually bowl of cereal with usual vitamins/supplements.  [My marathon last year it was water and cereal bar.]

I also keep antacids in car or with me just in case stomach acts up before run/race - it helps.  Also on long runs in summer, carry one and stash 1-2 other water bottles along route for return.

That and keep cool, if you stop sweating while running in heat/summer you're already in trouble. So if you feel unwell stop, rest and get into the shade/air-conditioned car. Heat stress/stroke can hit you without you knowing it.  Try to run with a buddy or area frequented by other runners.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

The Stinky Black Bitch

Kibbles are yum.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Walk-Jogger

I like to eat before my runs in the morning, but I never know how much/what I should eat.  Today, I ate cereal, eggs, and drank some milk, and I felt bad during my run.

What do you guys eat?

Also, on that run, I died about half way through.  I'm not sure of the cause, but is it possible that worn-out shoes (the soles are pretty bad), or what I ate could be it?

How long before running did you eat your breakfast? That's a very important detail, as well as telling what you ate.

For me, I always have 1 or 2 cups of tea with milk and sugar, and if I need more I'll have a banana or more likely 2 Shredded Wheat biscuits with milk and sugar.  I don't drink any liquids closer than 2 hours to run time because I don't like to stop for a pee break during my run, and if I eat the cereal it will be 3 hours or more before the run; 4 hours preferably if before a race.

Retired &  Loving It

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I think we are all so individual that it would be a mistake to take anyone else's routine as gospel.  You just need to experiment a bit.  I can make it through anything up to ten miles on just two cups of black coffee.  But for longer runs I like to add a bagel that gives me about 110 calories.  Nothing with too much fiber or flavoring (I would not eat an "everything" bagel or I would probably burp onion the whole way).  I eat roughly 90 minutes before I leave the house to run.

What I have read about nutrition suggests that carbs are better than protein, as carbs are more readily available and easily digested.  The eggs you ate might have been great nutrition, but the calories they contained were still being processed by the time you were done running and were not fueling you during your run.  Then again, I am certainly no expert, so I would suggest you do some research on your own if the subject interests you.

Good luck finding the routine that works for you!

Leah, mother of dogs

Walk-Jogger

I think we are all so individual that it would be a mistake to take anyone else's routine as gospel.  You just need to experiment a bit.  I can make it through anything up to ten miles on just two cups of black coffee.  But for longer runs I like to add a bagel that gives me about 110 calories.  Nothing with too much fiber or flavoring (I would not eat an "everything" bagel or I would probably burp onion the whole way).  I eat roughly 90 minutes before I leave the house to run.

What I have read about nutrition suggests that carbs are better than protein, as carbs are more readily available and easily digested.  The eggs you ate might have been great nutrition, but the calories they contained were still being processed by the time you were done running and were not fueling you during your run.  Then again, I am certainly no expert, so I would suggest you do some research on your own if the subject interests you.

Good luck finding the routine that works for you!

110 calories? That's a very small bagel . . .

Retired &  Loving It

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Arnold's brand Bagelthins.  110 calories per bagel.  Yes, it is small!

ETA:  Oops, they are Thomas' brand.

http://thomasbreads.com/Our-Products/Bagels/Bagel-Thins/Thomas-Cinnamon-Raisin-Bagel-Thins-Bagels/Default.aspx

Leah, mother of dogs

dsvick

I'm in the same camp as a lot of others here, for my weekday morning runs (4 -6 miles) I'll have a little water. For my long weekend runs I'll have a small bowl of cereal and maybe half a cup of coffee about an hour to an hour and half prior.