Eating before a morning run. (Read 395 times)

II Run II

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I ate less than an hour before my run.

By "dying," I just found myself unable to maintain my pace.  It wasn't too hot out (it was 70-75), but for some reason, I just had a hard time continuing to run.

Also, this was my first morning run (if that affects anything)

Docket_Rocket

I am an afternoon runner and every time I run in the mornings, I am slower than the afternoon runs, no matter if the weather is better in the morning.  Could be it will take some time getting used to running in the mornings and/or the food intake as you mentioned.

By "dying," I just found myself unable to maintain my pace.  It wasn't too hot out (it was 70-75), but for some reason, I just had a hard time continuing to run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I am an afternoon runner and every time I run in the mornings, I am slower than the afternoon runs, no matter if the weather is better in the morning.  Could be it will take some time getting used to running in the mornings and/or the food intake as you mentioned.

+1

Dave

that last bit of info is huge!  dont base your future am runs (or any other runs) soley on this one run since it was your very first am run.  I think that it will take only a few am runs for your body systems to get used to it.  you will be fine. that also sounds like a fairlly heavy meal at less than an hour before.  I normally run in the am & normally eat 1-2 hrs before & its close to what I eat any other day.  on rare occassions (yesterday) if its a shorter/easier run will eat afterwords.  but my normal routine is to eat something before with hot chocolate (cutting back on coffee because the extra caffeine does not mix well with meds currently taking) or just water.  I think what you eat /drink rest of week is a factor as well.  I eat 5-7x/day & sometimes 2 light breakfasts before heading out to work. also  i drink water all day throughout the day.   tomorrow will be at track w/o at 6 so will be up by 5 & eat something light right away (maybe 1 slice wheat toast & 2 eggs or 2 frozen waffles w/syrup) since I leave house running to track by 5:45 (1 1/2 miles to track)

Ric-G

Nothing....just water

marathon pr - 3:16

npaden

Nothing for me, take some water with me for long runs during the summer.

I can usually eat and then run pretty quickly afterwards though at other times.  My only bad experience was eating 2 large bowls of cereal and milk before rumining a race in the morning.  That didn't work very well for me.  Now I try to eat a bagel with peanut butter before longer races.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Will run for scenery.

Keep in mind that some folks who say "I don't eat anything" or "I don't need water for the first hour" have been running for a while.  When I was brand new, I had to eat and drink a lot.  As time went by, this decreased.  Perhaps it is mental, but mental is real.

My advice would be to eat something that's mostly carbs (a bagel is classic) and give it a while (i.e., many mornings).  Don't skip eating/drinking just b/c others do, but realize that that may be possible after your body gets used to it.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

runbum

Since it was your first AM run, I agree with the other posters about that most likely being the problem.

Keep in mind that your body can't absorb all that many carbs in the hour or so before a run. I usually don't eat before an early morning run. If my stomach is unsettled, I might eat something very light, but that's about it.

It is possible that your muscles' glycogen might have been depleted due to the cumulative effect of previous training run(s), if you ran harder and / or longer than usual, without adequate recovery.

Fat & lazy runner

I run very early in the morning (5:30) and I don't eat anything before the training.

Bye

Andy G.

II Run II

Thanks for the replies.

I've stopped drinking milk, and have changed to just dry cereal and juice.  It is working pretty well for me.

I don't often run in the morning. But when I run in the early morning, like most others, I eat nothing but drink some water to recover the overnight dehydration. Then I am starving after a run (7 or 10 miles).

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Docket_Rocket

That is a good choice.  Milk and a run in the heat always made my stomach go crazy.  Glad you found something that works for you!

Thanks for the replies.

I've stopped drinking milk, and have changed to just dry cereal and juice.  It is working pretty well for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page