Any guitar players here? (Read 109 times)

BeeRunB

He worked hard to get the intro.  It's my husband's favorite song, so my son learned it for his dad.  Didn't hurt that he was in his teens and had a lot of time on his hands after school.

Awesome

BeeRunB

He worked hard to get the intro.  It's my husband's favorite song, so my son learned it for his dad.  Didn't hurt that he was in his teens and had a lot of time on his hands after school.

ETA: Stairway is a great song.

Used to be the make-out song at dances back in high school in the late 70's. You knew things were going well if you didn't break apart  on the uptempo solo section. 

Feeling the growl again

What are you looking for, just chords, or relatively straightforward picking?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

blimoco

Here's a great video that might give you some ideas of songs that use the same chord pattern...if anything, it's a pretty fun watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

Let's see...here are some others that work well on acoustic...there are variations played within the songs, but I'll list the basic chords. Again, this is just off the top of my head (Sorry, child of the 80's and 90's) ...there are hundreds of others out there that you'd be surprised are pretty basic:

Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day - Em - G - D - A  (Chorus - C - G - D - A) Capo 1

Breakfast at Tiffany's  - Deep Blue Something D - G - A  (Chorus D - A - G)

Sweet Home Alabama - D - C9 - G

The Middle - Jimmy Eat World - D - A - G

Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi - D - C - G   (Chorus C - G - F - D)

Who Will Save Your Soul - Jewel - Am - C - G - D

Most Barenaked Ladies songs (if you have a capo)

Enjoy...hope this is what you're kind of looking for!

Here's a great video that might give you some ideas of songs that use the same chord pattern...if anything, it's a pretty fun watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

Let's see...here are some others that work well on acoustic...there are variations played within the songs, but I'll list the basic chords. Again, this is just off the top of my head (Sorry, child of the 80's and 90's) ...there are hundreds of others out there that you'd be surprised are pretty basic:

Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day - Em - G - D - A  (Chorus - C - G - D - A) Capo 1

Breakfast at Tiffany's  - Deep Blue Something D - G - A  (Chorus D - A - G)

Sweet Home Alabama - D - C9 - G

The Middle - Jimmy Eat World - D - A - G

Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi - D - C - G   (Chorus C - G - F - D)

Who Will Save Your Soul - Jewel - Am - C - G - D

Most Barenaked Ladies songs (if you have a capo)

Enjoy...hope this is what you're kind of looking for!

Cool! Thanks, that was what I was looking for. And I do have a capo.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Beginners have it so good these days with Youtube and all the help you can get figuring out songs and licks. I still remember slowing albums down to 16 to figure out stuff.

One thing every player learns eventually is to lighten up. You don't have to press down as hard as you think. You don't have to pick or strum hard to get a sweet sound. Though banging the strings, or plucking them energetically, have their creative purposes. If you think like a painter and try to hear sound as colors, lines,  textures, and composition (all in the present moment), it will enrich your experience, even if you only know 10 chords. Whines and squeals are fine, if  under your control. Find out how you're making these sounds, then learn how to make them a choice.

Try strumming in a way that you're only barely touching the tops of the strings, where the strings feel less solid and like a surface with a lot of give. You'll get a nice ring out of them, without being too forceful. Same with picking. As an exercise, put your focus in the tip of the pick and play a scale or a melody that you know. Try to feel the string with the pick, where it's placed. When the pick goes too low, what does it sound like? In the middle? On the rounded top? It's all good, you just want to control it for creative purposes. Even though you're a beginner, every time you make a sound on the gitbox, you're creating. Unlike a painting, music disappears almost immediately (unless recorded). So like Ferris B says "If you don't stop and listen to what you're playing, you could miss it."

I suggest turning the video off on your recordings for now. How you look can be distracting, as far as hearing what you're making. I know it distracts me ("I look funny when I'm singing"). If how you look when you're singing disturbs you. Just watch some Joe Cocker videos, and it'll make you feel better. Even Belushi doing Cocker will help. He'll help you to accept. 

Have fun!

Thanks!  I will try lightening up and see what happens.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.