Looking for new shoes (Read 1129 times)

It's another season (since I don't run year round) and I'm looking for a new pair of shoes. I would prefer a good pair of shoes for $50 (if that's even possible). From what I have seen, $75 is the bottom for a pair that will last me through the summer. I would appreciate any reviews, suggestions, questions, etc. If it makes a difference, I run 2-3 times a week and peak with a 10k or two. Nothing real serious, but still fun for me. Thanks!
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"

gimme some sugar, baby

I haven't tried these yet, but I would check out www.vitruvianrunning.com. A lot of people have recommended them to me... $30 plus shipping or $60 plus shipping for their shoes.
      George: Runner/Law Student
      www.gimme-five.com
        The big question is what type of shoe you need. Standard running shoe, stability, motion control, etc. This is determined by how your foot reacts to each step.(roll in, roll out, no roll, etc) Having the right shoe is so critical and worth the extra bucks to do so. I would encourage you to look into a local running store, where the staff are runners and understand the difference between the shoes/needs. I have a moderate pronation (roll in), so I needed a stability shoe. The Asics GT 2100 is widely thought to be one of the better shoes. I have been very pleased with them (over 100 miles thus far). I was in the New Balance family, but was having shin/knee pain. This pain is gone with the Asics and I will stick with them from here on out. They were $89 at a local store. I could have gotten them cheaper on the internet, but the local store allowed me to wear them for a few weeks and still have the option to trade them out if they weren't meeting my needs. Moral of the story, find what type shoe and then buy the best you can.....your legs will thank you later. Hope this helps.
        vicentefrijole

The big question is what type of shoe you need. Standard running shoe, stability, motion control, etc. This is determined by how your foot reacts to each step.(roll in, roll out, no roll, etc) Having the right shoe is so critical and worth the extra bucks to do so. I would encourage you to look into a local running store, where the staff are runners and understand the difference between the shoes/needs.
          I'm a young runner, but based on conversations I've had with many older runners, I would very much agree with bmorgan on this point. I try to be very cautious of advice that pushes the "perfect shoe", particularly the reviews that you'll read in a number of running magazines. These reviews may be useful once you know what kind of foot you have, but I think they're mostly just flashy advertising. I think most runners would agree that finding the "perfect shoe" is a very individual choice (almost as individual as prescription eye-glasses, I think). And that choice may be based on the biomechanics of your gait, the shape of your foot, and, yes, even your budget. I would definitely agree with bmorgan's suggestion to visit a specialty running store (NOT just a sports store) and specifically asking if they can do running gait analysis (many will) or at least look at the way you run or walk. Then they can help you find the best shoe for you (with your price in mind). Then try on a LOT of shoes and run in them! The best shoe will FEEL good immediately (you DON'T have to break them in). If the store's staff don't seem to have the time/knowledge to help you, find another store. There are some really good ones out there. Relating to your price question, in my experience, there is a difference in comfort and quality between the lowest priced shoes ($50-60) and the slightly more expensive shoes ($70-90) and I generally look to buy in the latter price range. But I'm a relatively young runner.. do any more experienced runners think that price makes a difference? Any opinions regarding even more expensive shoes ($100+)? Are they worth the expense?
            Just as a follow-up... I ordered a pair of New Balance 900's in they size my 717's are. I didn't realize this, but different styles within the same manufacturer can (and do) fit differently. I paid just under $70 including shipping. They are now my "kick around" shoes because they are too small for me to run comfortably in. I ended up going to a running store in Kansas City that records your feet while running in sox on a treadmill. They will then play it back and point out any "issues" you might have. 1) I didn't realize my arches had fallen in the past couple of years. (Is that normally painful? Because I have no clue when it happened.) 2) I slightly pronate, (according to the salesman, only 10% of the population run in the neutral position...the perfect stride) and need more control in my shoes. Within 30 minutes I was in a pair of Brooks ($90) that would help me control my pronation and wouldn't do any further damage to my body. I am glad I went to the running store, not a shoe store that sells athletic shoes. The staff was great, friendly and very well informed. I will probably go back every year!
            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
              Hope the Brooks work for you. I have fallen arches and ovepronate, and the Brooks Beasts have been the best shoes I have found for me. I have been wearing them the past couple of years (on pair #7), and have had absolutely no problems. Like all of us, I want to keep my feet happy (My wife says if I spent as much on her as I do my feet, she'd be happy, too.)
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                as far as it goes, $50 won't get you much. i prefer saucony hurricane 7's, my current pair has lasted 600 miles without falling apart, and they are curently availabe at eastbay for about $80. these suckers will last though.

gimme some sugar, baby

If you keep checking websites like www.spoofee.com you can sometimes find deals for 20-30% off eastbay/footlocker.com . I got a couple pairs of asics 2100s for only $55 each! (granted that's only happened once... I should have ordered 100 pairs!)
                  George: Runner/Law Student
                  www.gimme-five.com