1000 is in my grasp -- what makes sense for next year?? (Read 1011 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I didn't join a pace bunny group this year since I was only doing easy runs and didn't even pass 15 miles a week until about May. I have about 200 miles to go, so if I push myself, I may still make the 1000 mark (it means averaging only 28 miles a week, and my long runs will be getting even longer as I build base for my January half). Sorry-- I'm excited, and putting it on paper means I will make this happen. Based on my recent log, and the fact I'm thinking the "m" word sometime next year (ok, May or June marathon for survival and a base-building goal, and possibly a fall marathon to actually race), what makes sense for a 2009 goal mileage?? Chris

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Chair Warmer

I think shooting for 25 miles/week would be a good goal based on your recent history and the fact that you want to run two marathons next year. This would put you at 1,300 for the year. Your serious marathon training will likely be more than 25 miles/week but shooting for a 25 average allows for a bit of down time/rest/illness/etc.
        You are exactly where I was a year ago, although you are faster. I am shooting for 1500 miles this year.
        nkeliher

Running nut

Wow - great graph. Nice upward slope to the mileage. You're probably capable of 1500 but how about trying to stay above 100 miles each month? That will give you at least 1200 for the year. I'm right where you are for 2008 and am also thinking about what my goals are for 2009. Good luck and don't be afraid to challenge yourself.
          AnneCA

Right there with you, and also thinking about the M-word for next year. I think I'll aim for 1500 (28/week).
            kcam

Just wanted to give you props for a VERY consistent year of running. Keep it up! And no need to be 'sorry' for being too excited - it IS exciting to be within reach of a milestone like 1000 miles for the year! When I first started running I had an excel logbook that produced a weekly graph like the one you posted. After every run I was so excited to add my miles and watch that thing climb, the slope of the graph was a big motivator for me! 1250 range would be a nice number - would mean 25 miles a week with 2 vacation weeks of no miles. You're already very close to 30mpw so you could hit this even with a few cutback weeks thrown in for R&R.
                Nice running Chris. Keep it up. 1000 miles in a year is no joke and for 2009 I'd put the over/under at 1275.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Prince of Fatness

That's a nice steady increase in mileage you have going. I would keeping increasing steadily to a point where you feel confident that you can maintain over a longer period of time. After that just try to keep the bars even across the graph. The numbers will come with consistency.

Not at it at all. 

I'm almost there too.
                    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Queen of 3rd Place

Are you feeling good at your current mileage? Enjoying yourself? Do you want to push yourself a little more? If so...I'm saying Go For It Chris! and shoot for the 1500 (if life and body permits)! 1500 comes out to about 29 mi a week. And if you don't make it...so what? It's fun to try! Big grin Arla

Ex runner

You guys are awesome. I'm a winner of the 1000k. Hey, it's better than nothing. I'd love to make it to 1000 miles. Once my divorce is final, and I move back to Annapolis, I will run every day. It's so much easier to run in a normal neighborhood than out in the flipping country. Congrats !!!!! I'm jealous.

- Anya

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think the suggestion of 1250 makes sense, with the stretch goal of 1500 (and no shame in missing it). Chris

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

How did you make that cool chart?? I tried but mine kept coming out weird........

Champions are made when no one is watching

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

How did you make that cool chart?? I tried but mine kept coming out weird........
                              On your training log, select "graph" from the list of options on the left, then weekly graph. Hope that helps! MTA-- I can't spell or use proper english. Doing data management for 4 days has fried my brain.

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

I think 1500 would be within reason.. I did a little over 800 miles last year and I am on target for 1500 miles this year. And I probably would have did more except that a non-running related rib injury kept me out of running for about a month and a half over the summer. It looks like you made good steady progress this year. Good luck on reaching your 2009 goals.

Ryan