Shin Strengthening? (Read 5365 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

In the past I've had really bad shin splints, the lead-pip-to-the-shin kind. Over the last few years, I've been smarter and have avoided them by doing things like gradually increasing milage, stretching more and some moderate work to help strengthen the shins as my calves are getting more and more work... BUT Recently, I haven't been as good at following my own advice and consequently I've started to feel the early on dull ache in my left shin. I know that the only real way to keep it from getting worse (and for it to go away) is to take some time off from running, or really reduce mileage and up my stretching and do more shin strength work... HOWEVER I managed to put on around 7 lbs from the holidays due probably to a sharp decline in mileage (did an ultra in November, then had a huge taper going my long double digit runs to 4 or 5 mile runs). But I still ate like I was running a lot more Blush SO What exercises can I do to work on cutting the lbs I've put on, while avoiding any agrivation to the shins? Can I do stairs? Elliptical machines? Stationary Bike? I want to keep burning calories, and for me it seems running is the most efficient way to do it, but I don't wanna get sidelined with really bad shin splints, and have to stop all together... I also don't want to cut down on my exercise and end up slow, in which case I'll have to start all over. Thoughts? Thanks!!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

the treadmill is a kinder surface for me. trails once a weekand the rubberized track once a week in summer and treadmill on weekdays in the winter is what I plan to do in order to limit my hard surface running. So 40% - 80% of my running on any given week is on asphalt or concrete.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I had bad shin pain when I started back running, and after a 2 week layoff recently. Toe taps really took care of the problem. Just sitting at my desk, lift your toes until you feel it in your shins, then lower them again. 50 at a time, until your fellow cube-mates beg you to stop. Then do a few more sets. It only took a few days to really feel a difference. Good luck - hope it helps for you.
          I've battled shin splints as well, though I will say that I am nowhere near the runner you are--I'm barely a newbie. That said, I do understand that preventing shin splints is one thing, and what to do when you feel that "early on dull ache in the shin" is another. I would suggest not running until the pain goes away, and instead doing other exercises to burn calories such as swimming (which will burn more calories than running anyway).
          2009 Goals:
          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
          Run a 10K
          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
          Complete my first Sprint Tri

ultramarathon/triathlete

I had bad shin pain when I started back running, and after a 2 week layoff recently. Toe taps really took care of the problem. Just sitting at my desk, lift your toes until you feel it in your shins, then lower them again. 50 at a time, until your fellow cube-mates beg you to stop. Then do a few more sets. It only took a few days to really feel a difference. Good luck - hope it helps for you.
            Hmmmm, I've actually been doing that all day and on the subway, I was wondering if it would really help! Thanks! It really helped that much?! I'm tappin away!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

theyapper

On the road again...

I second the toe taps! They are simple and very effective.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Gotta TRI

I second the toe taps! They are simple and very effective.
                I'll third it. Totally agree that they work wonders.
                2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                  Fourth the toe taps. And stretch the calves a LOT. When they tighten up, they pull on the muscles connecting to the tibia. Dixie cup ice massages are also a tremendous help.

Wait lift just the toes, or the whole front half of your foot (with only back touching floor)?
                    2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
                    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

When I do them I lift almost my entire foot (leaving just the back of my heel touching the ground, as if tapping my foot to a good song on the radio - only a more exaggerated motion). Basically you're using your ankle joint. Don't just move your toes - if you are doing it right you'll feel the muscles in your shins contracting and relaxing.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks, sounds like mega toe taps it is! Now, other than swimming (which I do a bit but it's hard for me to get to a pool), any other cardio I can do that would be giving the shins a rest while still letting me burn some cals!? (I do run on the treadmill, but wanna cut back on the running in general for a bit)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

I'm coming off a lay off because of shin splints.What I've been doing is running on the treadmill for 4 to 8 miles every other day. On the same day I'll jump on the elliptical trainer or the arch trainer for an hour or so. That way I'm still getting a run under my belt.I'm burning lots of calories and I'm giving my shins a break. I also do some ab work and what ever else I have time for. Sounds like toe taps will be on the menu also. Can't wait for some snow to melt so I can get out on the road. good luck!
                          theyapper

On the road again...

When you're toe tapping, do 50 with your feet straight, 50 with them pointing right, and 50 pointing left. Rotating like that hits all areas of the shin/calf.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

How about running backwards? IIRC, this helps strengthen the shin muscles. I have a history of shin pain, and started looking like an idiot running backwards for short durations, 100 meters or so, twice a week, and haven't had any problems in over a year.

ultramarathon/triathlete

my chiro told me to go backwards on the treadmill too...

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team