Shin Strengthening? (Read 5365 times)

btb1490

Along with toe taps, which are great, you can also add heel walks, which are pretty much what they sound like. In your shoes, walk around on your heels. These are tough, so only do a few feet to start with, and work your way up to 40-50 feet of walking that way. Good luck to you. As far as alternate exercises, cycling with toe clips on will both burn calories, and strengthen those shins, as the toe clips force you to pull up on the pedals with your feet.
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I realize this is my answer for everything, but run barefoot. It is the most perfect, complete workout for all those muscles that regular shoes leave underdeveloped. Shins included.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I realize this is my answer for everything, but run barefoot. It is the most perfect, complete workout for all those muscles that regular shoes leave underdeveloped. Shins included.
        Not to go against what you're saying but I was just reading a book about the 4 minute mile and Banister getting there... the night before the big race (Race of the Century I think it was called), Ozzie John Landy was running barefoot and cut his foot on something, a bottle, some glass, a soda can, I forget. It was pretty bad. He raced the next day and managed a sub 4 but lost to Banister. He was a good sport and said the cut had nothing to do with it but you gotta wonder! Anyway, now I'm scared of running barefoot. Shocked

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team