NYC Marathon Version 3.0 (Read 459 times)

augustwest100

Hi, I'm happy I found this website! I was looking for a running log, but also have some questions to ask... I ran my first marathon in 2006 in NYC. It was a fantastic experience. I couldn't have asked for more. I finished with a 4:10 time, and by mile 18 I was feeling so good I kept asking my friend "when can I open it up a little bit." I was literally prancing past the finish line. My second marathon, 2007 in NYC was almost the opposite. I was running for a specific time (my ideal time would have been sub 4:00. I ran the first half-marathon in pretty good time, something like 2:01, but by the time I hit around mile 15 I was already in trouble. I finished with 4:16, but with a STEEP drop-off in the last few miles, and I actually thought about quitting it was such a struggle. The weather was almost exactly the same both years, so I'm wondering what I could do in my training for 2008 that might give me a better chance to get my time down without feeling like I am "in over my head" by the end of the race. I had the appropriate number of long runs, spaced out well, and gradually increasing my distance. If anything, I might have run longer distances the second year, with a couple over 20 miles. I also did a fairly good job of running several times a week (usually three times). Another difference the second year: in my "races" (I don't race to win, I just like the atmosphere of the NYRR races) I tended to pick up the speed and had runs that really got my heart pumping. I didn't do any speed work other than the roadrunner races. I'm wondering what I might do this year? Add speed training? Not try to cut off as much of my time? Any suggestions would be a great help... Thanks!

Prophet!

I'm slower than you and i can't see your log, but my guess would be more weekly miles!
        Run more than 3 days a week. Run more than 30 miles a week. Dont do speedwork. Need to work on your stamina. You dont need to run fast to go under 4 hours, just steadily. I'd look at Hal Higdon's or a similar 18 week training plan they will get your base miles where they should be.
        augustwest100

thanks for those suggestions. i'll check out the book you mentioned... Cool

Just Do It

Hey good luck, I am embarking on NY Marathon also and hope to reduce my time. My basic advice would be to build the base. Start now. Build slowly to avoid injury (I know this from first hand experience.) And view the marathon training as an extension of your base building. Good Luck!
            My NY running blog Never Quit