What should I shoot for in the mile? (Read 160 times)

irunfastxc

So on Thursday, knowing I had a workout the next day, I did a nice 8x200m (with 200m jog recovery) Keeping each one at 32 seconds. I know that workout really doesn't tell much of anything, but I thought it would be good to mention that I did that the day before the following workout: Ballistic stretching, Easy 2.5 mile warmup, Flex (striders, high knees, etc.) 12x400m with 200 jog recovery (each recovery 1:00 or less) 1st 4 @75, easy enough. 2nd 4 @72.5, again, easy enough, but obviously getting harder 3rd 4 @ 70, Knowing it wasn't a race, only went 68 on the last one. In any case, I'm racing a mile on Wednesday. It's been a while since I did that. What do you guys think I should shoot for?

Walk-Jogger

Sounds like you might be dangerously close to 5:00 . . .

Retired &  Loving It

ZZCaptainObvious

Faster than you think. Without knowing much of your training outside of these two workouts, 5 seems very attainable.

I'd say go for broke and aim for 4:44. But then I generally run/ran 5 and 10ks...

joescott

I think definitely sub-5:00, probably sub-4:50.  I ran a 4:59 earlier this summer and I could not do the 12x400m workout you described, I don't think.  Heck, I ran a 4:51 last year and I don't think I could have done that workout then, either!  So, I think you should be capable of rocking a 4:40-something.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Just a dude.

Not much to go on, but I would guess 4:40-4:50ish...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Latent Runner

I guess I must really be out of touch; I responded to the same OP but on a different running related board and opined he'd run in the low to mid five minute range. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
              irunfastxc

Not much to go on, but I would guess 4:40-4:50ish...

-Kelly

Yeah, I know it doesn't really give a good picture of my training, but figured it might be enough to get some reasonable goals. Thanks for the responses, guys! Looks like I'm going to go out at 71-72 and see what happens.

irunfastxc

I responded to the same OP but on a different running related board

Definitely was me. I was testing the waters trying to see where people would respond the most/give the best advice. Looks like this is it Wink

Just a dude.

In any case, I'm racing a mile on Wednesday. It's been a while since I did that. What do you guys think I should shoot for?

So how did your mile go?

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Latent Runner

Wondering the same thing.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13