IT band issues. (Read 265 times)

cookstarcarolyn

Hi. I am a newbie at running. I started running a month ago. Started in Nike 5"0's. I have always been a flat shoe kinda gal. I wear vibram shoes 90% of the time..for casual, hiking, walking. The first week of running ( 3 times per week) went well, no issues. Second week in I started getting really sore after my runs on the upper right side of my leg. After a ton of researching,my best guess is it's my IT band. I went and bought a foam roller ( use it daily) and really stretch it out before/after a run. Runs seem to have been going better, pain is not nearly as bad. Then the last 5 runs have been terrible. About 2km into my runs, I am getting a pain on the outside of my knee on my right leg only ( my dominant leg)...thought maybe it was the shoes, so I switched to the saucony powergrid ride 7's. go for a run and low and behold, 2K in and the pain near my knee starts..so not the shoes ( thank goodness, cause I love my Nike frees. I have started doing this :http://youtu.be/ydcy3dPf__M. Anything else I should/could be doing? I can't give up..I love to run..entered my first 5 K at the end of August..would love to be able to finish the race!!! I run strictly on my local highway if that helps. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Smile
    Zach Shiels

Find a good physical therapist or sports chiropractor in your area who does Graston Technique. It works wonders! http://www.grastontechnique.com/LocateaProvider.html

Member Since 2008

Just curious, did you go to a credible running store to get fitted with the proper shoes?  Once you find the proper shoe, it doesn't mean the problem will go away automatically.  Once the damage is done you have to work through it by either taking a break, proper stretches or exercises that will strengthen the problem area.

You can also get an IT band that will help while you are running.

cookstarcarolyn

I went to the running room before I started running. I brought in my Nike 5'0's. I got my running observed and everything was fine, but was told I needed to extend my stride because I was heel striking. I have been making a very conscience effort to make sure I am landing mid foot. I am thinking perhaps I should go back and have them take another look. Guy said my shoes were fine. I am getting frustrated a bit..not sure what's going on. :/

Latent Runner

Two things:

• Stop foam rolling before your runs; counter productive and potentially injurious.
            • If you're heal striking, shorten your stride and "stay over your feet", do NOT lengthen your stride (forward) as that will just make your heal striking worse.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
            bhearn

ITB issues can cause pain at either the upper or the lower end. Agree, you don't want to use it before the run.

When I had ITB problems training for my first marathon, I found a great physiotherapist; she got me to the start line healthy. IMO that would be your best bet for resolution. They may or may not recommend Graston, ART, etc. Definitely I'd go to a PT before a chiropractor, though. A good sports massage therapist could also help.

As others have mentioned, shorten your stride - DON'T lengthen your stride.  (long stride = heal strike)  Focus on keeping your cadence at or above 180 steps per minute.  Foam Roller has really helped me the few times I have had issues with my IT Band.   When mine got quite sore at one point I did have to rest it for about 2 weeks with very little running to get it to settle down.   Finally, strengthening your hip flexors and improving flexibility in that area tends to keep this injury from coming back once you get things healed up.

MikeMann

Hi. I am a newbie at running. I started running a month ago. Started in Nike 5"0's. I have always been a flat shoe kinda gal. I wear vibram shoes 90% of the time..for casual, hiking, walking. The first week of running ( 3 times per week) went well, no issues. Second week in I started getting really sore after my runs on the upper right side of my leg. After a ton of researching,my best guess is it's my IT band. I went and bought a foam roller ( use it daily) and really stretch it out before/after a run. Runs seem to have been going better, pain is not nearly as bad. Then the last 5 runs have been terrible. About 2km into my runs, I am getting a pain on the outside of my knee on my right leg only ( my dominant leg)...thought maybe it was the shoes, so I switched to the saucony powergrid ride 7's. go for a run and low and behold, 2K in and the pain near my knee starts..so not the shoes ( thank goodness, cause I love my Nike frees. I have started doing this :http://youtu.be/ydcy3dPf__M. Anything else I should/could be doing? I can't give up..I love to run..entered my first 5 K at the end of August..would love to be able to finish the race!!! I run strictly on my local highway if that helps. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Smile
                  MikeMann

I had the same problem. I had a 'catch' in my knee that got worse. I used ice right after running, then ibuprofen later in the day and right before bed. It seems to have helped.

http://www.astym.com/Main - After months of ITBS, this was the only thing that worked for me. Those months included a different physical therapist and lot of foam rolling as well.

Here's another good tool...

http://www.rollrecovery.com/r8/

PRs...

5k - 19:04

10k - 40:25

15k - 1:02:12

Half - 1:27:27

Full - 3:01:33
                      Goals...

5k - sub-19

10k - sub-40

15k - sub 1:01

Half - sub-1:27

Full - sub-3:00

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Ok, so now you get it.

It isn't the shoes, its how you run. My story is that I was involved with the Free product so I have a very different perspective. First off, what's most important is that you understand running barefoot (which the Free is designed to allow) is radically different than running without shoes, which unfortunately for you is what all coaches and trainers teach....

IT strain is a byproduct of too much forward lean. I'll give you the reference of a military student of mine who had IT band issues as well. He writes about it in this link.

Is called the masking tape exercise in his story, but trying it for yourself will prove the joint stability of the knee and reduced IT band stretching.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

NHLA

Are you running on a canted surface?   swap sides or run in the middle of the road.

Running on a track?  change directions

Do lots of hip and glute strengthening exercises like clamshells and side leg lifts (video shows some ok exercises, there are others out there).  Monster walks with the therabands are good too.  You must do these exercise often.

Important.  Don't run if you are aggravating the IT band.  It will only get worse.  You have to address the problem with targeted strengthening and then work the running back in. A short break now will save you lots of trouble later on.  What you can do now is run up to that first moment you feel any pain in the knee then stop immediately.  Ice your knee/upper leg after running.  As you get stronger you will find that you can go for longer and the problem will eventually go away.

A good PT is priceless if the problem becomes chronic.

Also, I wouldn't buy one of those weird bands that they say takes pressure off the IT band.  It is a Band-Aid fix and will not resolve the issue in the long run.  Sometimes those bands make things worse.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

bhearn

Here is an interesting different perspective on IT issues.

http://sequencewiz.org/2014/05/28/it-band-stretching-it-band-rolling-it-band-tightness/

MaryAguila

Get a foam roller and try to roll on the IT band. It helped me quite a bit.