Can I be ready for a half-marathon? (Read 1035 times)

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

I need some advice from experienced runners or other new runners, please. I started running in October 2007 following the C25K program. I was able to complete it pretty much as the schedule dictates. My first run was a 10K on June and I just completed a 5k run this past weekend. I am not a fast runner but I keep my feet moving, I would say my average oace now is between an 11 and 12 minute mile. But I need a specific goal. There's a run coming up Sept. 20 http://www.foxcitiesmarathon.org/ and I want to do the half-marathon event. I don't care about the speed I just want to finish, so if I walk half that would be okay with me. I usually run 4 times a week 3 to 4 miles, filling in the off days with biking or walking. I'm 54, turning 55 this Sept., and I am really driven to do this, but is it possible? Please give me your opinions. Thanks, Barb
    celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Barb, I'm a relatively new runner, so I remember the excitement of C25K and wanting to jump in, hard. I'm still relatively new to the sport (one year running last week), but my first inclination is the half is too much too soon. I would run a few more 5ks, work on getting your long run built out and your weekly mileage up a bit more, then do a training plan for the half. That probably will push you back until 2009 (April??), but too much too soon can lead to injury and not loving the sport as much. You have the rest of your life to run a half, but only one body. Injury can be the death of you (as can carbs, meat, sleep, or life in general), butmore importantly you're less likely to stick with things unless you build up reasonably and slowly. Just my two cents. Look to other, wiser people (or wise-asses) for thoughts. Chris

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

TJoseph

If you are willing to walk half of it, you could probably finish one now. You have two months to increase your mileage, I would say go for it.
        Scout7

Why do it? Why jump into something that may do more harm than good, and turn you away from running? Patience. Running teaches you to be patient, because you get better the more patient you are.
            One thing I would think about, would be time on your feet for the half. How long do you think it would take you to finish? Do you have time to build up to close to that duration before the race? It's good that you do cross training, but elliptical and biking do not help you build up your impact tolerance. This is more of a concern in our age group. Also, what kind of a course is it? Mostly flat? Little hills? Big hills? Is it similar to the kind of routes you currently train on? How did you feel after your 10K? Do you think you could handle more than twice that distance by Sept.20th? Congrats on your races! Congrats on becoming a runner Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Hi Barb, My opinion is that you have not successfully built enough weekly mileage to do a Half Marathon. You have 6 weeks to train, and to do so properly, and not get hurt, you would have to get to roughly about 25-30 miles per week base miles ( done at a nice easy training pace) to be able to survive it. Having said that, If you want to go and see what you can do, do it, but be prepared to walk alot of it, and possibly cause you some injuries. I am running my first half the same day, and I have been training for it by increasing mileage since April this year. As Scout says, this is a sport of patience, and you must be in order to keep running. I would also add to find a good solid half marathon training program for newer runners ( Such as Hal Higdon Novice) and start there. Find another half that you can reasonably train for, and go for it! Much success in your running! Keep up the good work! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

I want to sincerely thank everyone for their time they are giving me by answering my post, I certainly appreciate it. I wanted to jump in and answer a few questions: Right now I am running mostly on asphalt, country roads with some small hills. After I ran the 10k I felt really good, I probably could have went on for another couple miles. As I took the hike back to the car I was just so elated that I finished the race I wouldn't have noticed any pain anyway. As this was my first event without running in any 5k's prior to the 10K. I looked at the half-marathon map but I'm not familiar with the area so it really doesn't tell me much as to the elevation of the route. I checked out Hal Higdon Novice training for the half-marathon. It looks like I am in the third week of training right now, so that tells me I will not complete the 10 week training to be able to run the whole 13.1 miles. IF, and that's a big if, I could follow the schedule to the letter, my longest run would be an 8 mile run which would be one week prior to the event. Again, thanks for the conversation and ideas. Barb
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Barb - I would err on the side of caution. It is SO easy to get overenthusiastic and end up injured. I thought I was being careful, but I think I ramped up too quickly and got achilles tendonitis. It has taken me TWO MONTHS to recover from it, meaning I missed two of the best running months here in Maine. You have plenty of time to run HMs - my running partner is older than you, and her cousins, in their 60s, are placing in their age groups. Just my two cents, based on my experience! Good luck, whatever you decide!

Prince of Fatness

I agree with most of the others and say it's too much, too soon. You really aren't running the mileage to support it. Look at the progress you have made already. It would be a shame to get injured and have to take steps backward. If you keep at it, I don't see why you couldn't run a HM next fall. You could still have plenty of fun with the 5 and 10K races this fall. Slow and steady. My 2 cents ... Congratulations on the progress you've made and good luck whatever you decide.

Not at it at all. 

Giant Flaming Dork

Hi, Barb - I would err on the side of caution. It is SO easy to get overenthusiastic and end up injured. !
                      Same advice here. You may need to run for more time and more miles before you start the HM training. I ramped up to a Half Marathon after running in a couple of 5 milers and it turned out to be too much for my body to handle. I'm on the sidelines with tendinitis in my hamstring that's going on 6 weeks now. (HM was on 6/22) Just take it slow and enjoy building miles. It is certainly better then sitting on the sidelines waiting to heal.

http://xkcd.com/621/

monikam

Why the rush? If you need a goal, make the goal to establish a good base first. Right now your running mileage is simply not high enough to support a half marathon in September.. Use fall and winter to build your running mileage to comfortable 20+ miles/week and come Ferbruary you can start training for a spring HM... In the mean time enter some local 10K races.. If you absolutely must run HM this year, pick something in November or December and start building your mileage right now...
                        Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
                        t_runner

Another vote for erring on the side of caution... I was in the same boat as you in 2003 when I was 25. I had been running for about a year, doing 5K's. I was running about the same mileage as you are now, a few 3/4 milers during the week, and then a long run on the weekend. I decided to do a 10K in mid-September and a half marathon in mid-November. The 10k felt great, so I began to ramp up my long run miles. I started to get shin splints and knee pain as I ramped up my long run from 5 to 8 miles, but I pushed on (including taking Advil before running Blush wow, it's weird to read my logs from so long ago, I would never do some of this stuff now!). I got up to one 10 mile training run, still only supported by a few 3-4 milers during the week, and then ran the half. I was proud of finishing, but the last three miles were REALLY hard. Then I was so run-down, I got really sick shortly after, and my knees and shins moved over into the area where they forced me to stop. I didn't run again until January, and that was the longest layoff I've ever had, to this day, since I started running. If I could redo it, I would have just built my miles slowly to where they didn't hurt, and then, when I could run a long run comfortably of 10-13 miles, I would find a half to enter. It doesn't seem like a big jump from a 10K to a half marathon, but it really is. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
                          colinw

Barb - I think you're just about 1-2 months too close to your date to hit it. I know lots of the folks on there say that patience is the key, and I agree that you do need to be patient as it will ensure you stick with running for a long time. I am a somewhat new runner and have learned a lot from the posters on this site. I have run a 5k, and done a bunch of 10k distance runs in my training for the half. I am in Week 9 of the Hal Higdon Novice training for the half-marathon plan and I am enjoying it. My race is Sept 28th, and I don't have any concern at all about the time it takes me to finish, I just want to finish. I have been sticking to my plan exactly and doing well with the long runs. I am nervous about not having a full 13.1 miles under my belt by the time race comes along, but that is the way my plan is structured. Good luck with your training, and if you can find something later in the Fall or early 2009, I say go for it! Colin

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

JakeKnight

I'll half-heartedly disagree with some of the above: depending on how you define "ready," sure. You can be ready. You can finish a half marathon. And while you do risk some injury, I don't think it's likely. You'll probably be fine. But the reason I'm only half-hearted in the above is because I see a bigger risk: the risk that you'll just be too undertrained to enjoy the experience, and you'll end up hanging up your running shoes because of it. You'll end up burned out, or too sore, or just plain hate it. Even if you do manage not to get hurt. I've run two marathons on zero training. One of them was great! It's why I run today. It got me going. But the other one, the first one, was miserable. I hated it. And didn't run for years and years and years because of it. Which is something I really regret. If I'd followed good advice and waited until I was ready, I probably would have really benefited. I might not even be so slow today. Anything's possible. (shrug) If you want to run a half, go run it. Good luck. If you want to run for life, and run lots of marathons, and still be running them decades from now ... I'd wait a while.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

I need some advice from experienced runners or other new runners, please. I started running in October 2007 following the C25K program............ My first run was a 10K on June ...... I am not a fast runner but I keep my feet moving, .......... But I need a specific goal. There's a run coming up Sept. 20 and I want to do the half-marathon event. I don't care about the speed I just want to finish, so if I walk half that would be okay with me. ........ I'm 54, turning 55 this Sept., and I am really driven to do this,........... but is it possible? Please give me your opinions. Thanks, Barb
                                I started running in Sept 2007, didn't follow any program..............My first run was a 10k in May............I am not a fast runner but I keep my feet moving........But I need a specific goal. There's a run coming up Sept 28th and I want to do the Full Marathon event.........I want to break 4hrs and I will not walk one step! .......I'm 53 will be 54 in the spring, and I am really driven to do this..........ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE Wink Although everyone is also different. Yes I may be wreckless but that's just the way this cookie crumbles Smile MTA- Don't take my advice and hurt yourself, but you did ask if it was possible.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius