Happy Earth Day! (Read 508 times)

shyrunner07

what will you be doing to mark the day today? what do you usually do to help out the earth? I'm not sure what we will do....maybe we can scour the yard looking for wayward trash that has blown in....I can't really think of many events that are going on in the neighborhood (the nearby zoo is doing something, but we were just there today Tongue)...There is a lightbulb that burned out in the house, so i think i'll add the curly flourescent bulb to our grocery list.... I'm big into recycling, and *try* to look for plastic containers with a 1 or a 2 (those are the only ones our trash company will recycle) in the stores. Hannah's starting to get hip to the notion too...she loves to take things out to the recycling bin in the garage, and knows what numbers to look for on the plastic items. There's still so much more that we could be doing though... *happy birthday to my lil brother too!* Smile
      I don't drive, think thats a good start. I recycle everything I can.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Most of the bulbs in our house are compact fluorescents. We also drive small cars and try not to make too many extra trips (the price of gas is as much a factor in this as anything). I wish we had recycling up here. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

we cleaned out the water dishes for the outdoor critters and tossed out some fresh grub. Hannah and i made a bag of nesting materials for the birds- curious to see if they actually use the stuff. Included a lock from h's recent haircut, to her amusement. She thinks the idea of a bird making a nest with her hair is silly....Tongue
            I have to brag about my seven year old daughter, Mya. She won a school competition where students had to make something out of recycled materials that represented Earth Day. Here she is on her way to school that morning: Yes, that's a forced grin because she is like me in the morning... Grumpy until noon.
            shyrunner07

what a cutie pie!! Smile I love her project...what did she make it out of? Great job mya!!
                Very cute! Good idea for the project. Smile

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is what I did. I went grocery shopping and used a cotton bag from home to carry my groceries. Just started and I have more bags on order. The bagger looked at me funny, but this is me from now on. I challenged the curbside recycle program. They say no clamshell plastic containers, even if the plastic is the correct type. So I called and confirmed that this was true, learned that it was the shape that was a problem, and that if I cut the lid off they were no longer clamshell. So now on I will be recycling the bottoms and lids of former clamshell plastic containers. I bought real eggs (not organic, not free range, not cage free, but from chickens who live naturally without all these weird labels applied to them). And the eggs were packaged in a clam-shell recycleable plastic container Wink Our lightbulbs are already the right kind. My car is a small gas efficient car. I inspected the 15 or so trees I've planted in my yard since moving to our house some 5 years ago. I'm trying...
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, I should add that we spent much of the day in and out doing various yard projects. I fertilized all my little shrubs that never grow well due to a yard with too much shade, ran the sprinkler on all the important areas and just enjoyed the weather. did went on a bike ride. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fertilize? Water? Planting the wrong plants for the environmental conditions? Cool
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fertilize? Water? Planting the wrong plants for the environmental conditions? Cool
                        We have very sandy soil--we pretty much live on a big dune on this half of the state...anything that's planted needs fertilizer and compost (our yard just have a few inches worth of topsoil on top of pure sand). Plus my azaleas need a little more acid (most of what I have growing are hostas, azaleas and hydrangeas). Because of the sand we have to water a lot unless we have an unusually wet year, since the precipitation we get runs right down. A couple of years ago a beautiful birch in our yard--probably a 20 year old tree (maybe older) died during a drought. We couldn't water it enough. Nothing grows all that well in our yard, either, because we are lucky to get more than 2 hours of solid light in any area of the yard (lots of huge, old, shade trees) and such a short growing season. Our leaf buds are only just now starting to come out on our trees (hence the evil pollen counts right now) and the growing season will be done by mid-Oct. And most years the deer eat new growth--they aren't picky, either. I haven't really found anything those things won't eat. Plantskyyd is the only thing that keeps them at bay, but I found out the hard way last year that I need to reapply it at least every 6 weeks, not the 2-3 months the package recommends. But last year was the first year we actually had hostas without crew cuts in the middle of Summer. Ours just started popping out of the ground in the last few days, so time to spray before Bambi and the boys discover the little green spikes... Tongue k Just remembered I have some photos of our yard.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm going to follow Sherl Crow's advice and only use one spuare of TP when I use the bathroom. Shocked
                          Join me on a run.
                            I'm going to follow Sherl Crow's advice and only use one spuare of TP when I use the bathroom. Shocked
                            Make sure you have extra pairs of clean undies. Clowning around

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And plenty of soap. This would be one good instance to make certain it's antibacterial! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

so maybe Jerry's girlfriend wasn't being spiteful after all! she was merely trying to do her part! talk about someone ahead of their time.... Big grin lol