If you're planning to buy a new laptop... (Read 1145 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

New 13" MacBook New 15" MacBook Pro

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Dave

Price point didn't drop to $899 as expected. Unfortunate. I think they would've taken huge market share with that. I'm looking at netbooks. The Asus EEE PC is interesting with a current special with a 20GB SSD and 1GB RAM for $299.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

xor

The EEEPC is down to 299? I might have to look into that. with solid state "drives", i think the UMPC actually makes sense now. Dell has one too, but crap, not 299. Oh, and I find it extra hilarious (but cool) that XP is now being re-branded as "the fast, stable OS for low end systems".

Dave

Here's the link. It ships with Linux for that price (after a mail in rebate). http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008506&ps=pn2

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Oh, and I find it extra hilarious (but cool) that XP is now being re-branded as "the fast, stable OS for low end systems".
              Yeah, and they're re-branding Vista as "the crappy, unstable OS for every system."

Running Dad

+1 for the EEE they are so cool.. I wish i could get one just to play with..
                Things to do this year:
                Not get an injury
                Things done this year:
                Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                TJoseph

Yeah, and they're re-branding Vista as "the crappy, unstable OS for every system."
                  Yeah, but unless all you need is a word processor and a web browser, Mac OS X isn't good for much either. You don't see very many businesses running it on their desktops. XP is solid and I am still running it on my work laptop.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, but unless all you need is a word processor and a web browser, Mac OS X isn't good for much either. You don't see very many businesses running it on their desktops. XP is solid and I am still running it on my work laptop.
                    It's an OS, not a program or suite of programs...? Apples/oranges...? XP doesn't "do" anything by itself, either... Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I disagree. Businesses do not use Mac OSX because it comes with and runs on more expensive hardware, because of longstanding culture and because of a few niche applications. Also, until recently, OSX did not have an adequate solution for calendaring/email/contact services; that has changed. OSX runs loads of software the same as PCs. The main exceptions are the few non-cross-browser apps, some serious gaming software and certain niche applications (as above). More and more businesses are adopting OSX. Missteps by Microsoft, including Vista, the nonbackwards-compatible Office '07 .___x file formats, etc, have really tarnished their reputation among home and business users alike. OSX runs Word, Excel, Powerpoint (as well as Mac versions of these) and numerous native productivity apps for database, statistical analysis, finances, software development and testing, and on and on. I use both XP and OSX. I prefer the latter. I use the former because one tool I must access regularly is developed to be IE specific. OSX is positioned well for home, education and business use. Vista is, apparently, being rolled back and away.
                      TJoseph

I disagree. Businesses do not use Mac OSX because it comes with and runs on more expensive hardware, because of longstanding culture and because of a few niche applications. Also, until recently, OSX did not have an adequate solution for calendaring/email/contact services; that has changed. OSX runs loads of software the same as PCs. The main exceptions are the few non-cross-browser apps, some serious gaming software and certain niche applications (as above). More and more businesses are adopting OSX. Missteps by Microsoft, including Vista, the nonbackwards-compatible Office '07 .___x file formats, etc, have really tarnished their reputation among home and business users alike. OSX runs Word, Excel, Powerpoint (as well as Mac versions of these) and numerous native productivity apps for database, statistical analysis, finances, software development and testing, and on and on. I use both XP and OSX. I prefer the latter. I use the former because one tool I must access regularly is developed to be IE specific. OSX is positioned well for home, education and business use. Vista is, apparently, being rolled back and away.
                        Mac OS X has an 8.2% market share as of this month. That is double what it was a couple of years ago. Windows has a 90% share. I am not sure where that leaves Linux, but these statistics are for desktop OSes and not servers. It is expensive for software developers to write and support applications for niche operating systems, so many don't. I would not call Autocad and Microsoft Access niche applications. I own a computer support company and have been in hundreds of offices. I just don't see a whole lot of Macs.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Access is not a niche tool, but there are Mac DB tools that work similarly (Filemaker, Bento, others). TurboCAD works on Mac. I work at an all PC shop (a near-1000 bed hospital with huge IT infrastructural investment). Despite that, many many many users have moved to OSX over the last few years. Sadly, the main electronic medical record system we use is IE-specific, so most use either a virtualizer or a remote desktop to access PC to use that single app.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I own a computer support company and have been in hundreds of offices. I just don't see a whole lot of Macs.
                            (Perhaps Macs don't need as much support as PCs Evil grin Wink )
                            TJoseph

Access is not a niche tool, but there are Mac DB tools that work similarly (Filemaker, Bento, others). I work at an all PC shop (a near-1000 bed hospital with huge IT infrastructural investment). Despite that, many many many users have moved to OSX over the last few years. Sadly, the main electronic medical record system we use is IE-specific, so most use either a virtualizer or a remote desktop to access PC to use that single app.
                              Most users that have recently moved to Mac have only done so after Apple started using Intel chips instead of PowerPCs. They can now run Windows on their MacIntosh. VMWare and other vitualizers also give them the ability to run Windows. And these are mostly home users and not businesses. Business also look for the best price point. A savings of $100 each over 1000 machines is $100,000.
                              xor

Define: many many many Define: The hospital IT department's policies and strategies for supporting and managing Mac hardware and nonstandard applications. Based on what you've written so far, it reads to me that you are approaching this with an extremely strong macro-level opinion based on a small amount of anecdotal information. When folks around here do this with running and training theories, it can get ugly.