What made you get into running? (Read 883 times)

I'm brand spanking new here today and yes I'm a refugee from RW.  So if this thread has already been started somewhere else I'm sorry.  Anyway, what made you get into running?

About 4 years ago I was in a relationship and got comfortable; being comfortable I didn't think about being in shape.  Needless to say the relationship ended and I was out on the market.  To improve my marketability I started running and watching what I ate.  Not to mention my sister who is a runner wanted a running partner.  After running for a handful of months and eating pretty healthy I looked and felt better.  When I first started running I would enter some 5K races; the main goal was just to finish without walking.  Now I run them to PR every race and I'm trying to do at least one race a month.  Now I do a lot more weight training and I use running and swimming as my cardio, but I still love my running.  

As far as the girl who put me back on the market, well I ran into her a year later at a bar and she really liked what she saw.  We slept together and I realized why we broke up in the first place.  I should thank her for us breaking up because I'm more healthy (fitness and mental wise) and I'm a hellva a lot happier.   Single life is much happier when women actually want to date you and it's your choice to be single.

Ostrich runner

You should go get the clap just so you can give it to her.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

CeeDotA

Like a lot of others, I'm sure, I was overweight. Five-foot-nine and a massive 205lbs. I don't lift weights or play football, so 205 on my frame was ridiculous. Running seemed like the easiest way to lose the weight, so I took it up. I'm at 183lbs now, and I'm looking to get down to 170-175.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

As far as the girl who put me back on the market, well I ran into her a year later at a bar and she really liked what she saw.  We slept together and I realized why we broke up in the first place. 

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought she broke up with you in the first place because you were a fat comfortable slob.

bobruns

DH started 1st.  He has long since stopped but I have been going ever since.  I was hooked after my 1st 5k and everything after that has been a natural progression.  It has been about 20 yrs now.  Crazy right?  Time flies! 

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought she broke up with you in the first place because you were a fat comfortable slob.

Actually WE broke up mutually because I got tired of her constant bitching and she got tired of me bitching about her bitching.  And I never said I was a fat comfortable slob...I've never been fat and I'm not a slob I was just outta shape.  And by improving your marketability also determines the quality of the women you pursue and potentially obtain.

an amazing likeness

Cripes...how did we go from running to loose weight and keep your sister company to bar shagging in one leap? 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

After obtaining women, do you file them in binders by any chance?

The King of Beasts

none of you people are real

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

"run" "2" "eat"

my absolute favorite thing in the WORLD is when people remember EXACTLY what they say so then they can spitspitspit it all back in your face. love that!! LOVE.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

an amazing likeness

Honestly...you can't swing a cat around here without hitting a Waffle House or Baptist church.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

"run" "2" "eat"

don't fling your pussy at me, mr truck.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

I think all of this pussy-flinging is taking away from the main point: Obtaining quality women via effective marketing. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

omg gross

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus