Durn teenagers! (Read 1507 times)

I was running today, saw a car coming towards me. The 16-year-old-looking girl driving the car put her arm out the window (like she was signaling a left turn) and then lobbed something over the car towards me. It was one of those stupid pop firecracker things. You know, you throw them on the ground and they make a loud noise? Seriously, teenagers need more to do here in rural New Hampshire...

http://www.runningnotes.net

Giants Fan

Now that is one I can honestly say I've never had happen to me. Just keep thinking karma...eventually they'll get theirs too! (but probably only when they get older and have kids of their own...) CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

I've never had one thrown at me but every year after 4th of July the sidewalks and streets are littered with unexploded ones. For the next 3 days my HR is in interval training while I remain at steady state pace as I periodically step on and explode a pop cap under my shoe. Angry

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

We've had a rock thrown at us. We were just running down the street and a bunch of guys came out of this house and someone picked up a rock and chucked it across the street at us. Of course, we've also been sworn at, had drinks thrown at us, etc (the norm, I suppose). It makes me laugh though, because they yell at the runners while they sit on their lazy (insert whatever word you like here) and swear at the people working hard!
          PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I guess I'm lucky...so far the worst I've had is a couple of teenage boys joyriding in mom's minivan thinking they were hot snot hitting on the 30-something mom and following her around the block. I'm probably not much younger than their own moms. At the time I was a little freaked-out by their "stalking," but in hindsight I feel sorry for them. Evidently girls their own age have already rejected their toolish advances.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Don't you just wish you had a Go-GO-Gadget sized middle finger to display in their direction?
                Don't you just wish you had a Go-GO-Gadget sized middle finger to display in their direction?
                I just used my regular middle finger. Big grin And some choice words. I totally thought about the karma thing. In my head, I thought just wait until someday when she's in her 30s and she's overweight from having two kids and she is out running and some stupid teenager chucks something at her. Maybe, just maybe, she'll feel a little bad. Geez, a rock?! Thankfully, that's never happened. Although I was concerned when I saw her chuck the thing, I didn't know what it was or if it would actually hit me.

http://www.runningnotes.net

I've been been preaching this proposition to my friends and co-workers for awhile. Maybe now is the time to take it to the internet. I think all teenagers should be sent to Alaska, or Northern Canada to work in the oil fields or diamond mines for a period of one year. They will not be paid, but rather this service is a mandatory part of attaining "citizen" status within the USA or Canada. Not only will this rid us of obnoxious teenagers, but it will teach them the value of hard work. No more throwing their money away on $6 Starbucks frappucino's when they find out the hard earned value of a dollar. The lousy bleeding heart communists in the government won't let this happen though Wink I've never had a problem directly with teens while running. Strangely enough, during a MP run this week, three obese people started yelling and taunting me with the classic "Run laddy run!". I had visions of myself chasing them with a baseball bat saying "betcha wish you could run as fast as me you insert lewd comment!"
                    I've been been preaching this proposition to my friends and co-workers for awhile. Maybe now is the time to take it to the internet. I think all teenagers should be sent to Alaska, or Northern Canada to work in the oil fields or diamond mines for a period of one year. The lousy bleeding heart communists in the government won't let this happen though Wink
                    I like your proposal of a national service requirement and I'm often called a communist for saying so.
                      I like your proposal of a national service requirement and I'm often called a communist for saying so.
                      Oops... looks like I went a little too far over in the political spectrum when describing liberal-democratic government. I should have said, "Those left-wing bleeding heart social worker types don't approve of children being shipped up North..." Smile
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Blender magazine recently ran a feature on the worst sets of teeth in rock, and Pogues lead singer Shane McGowan was #1. Can't say I disagree. Actually, I don't think he has any teeth currently, which is a major improvement.
                        My official response to squelch political talk in the General Running thread.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My legs are killing me

Last summer I had a carfull of teen boys pull up next to me while I was running and started squirting me with water. At first I was stunned, then pissed (I tried chasing the car - good tempo workout) then I laughed. I figured God was paying me back for something I did as a teen. Big grin

The Greatest of All Time

I feel lucky, the most egregious thing that ever happend to me was some kids yelling "Run Forrest, Run!" In hindsight at the time I did resemble Forrest Gump. Surprised Still have the same haircut though. Damn military.
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Rundadrun27

I've never had teenagers throw things at me. It's usually just comments of "Run Forrest Run!!!". On my run yesterday, there were a group of about 5 teenagers walking up ahead of me. They had the whole sidewalk blocked. It was a busy street, so going around them on the road was not an option. Instead I ran right through them, and made on of them drop their Slurpee. Shocked Tongue I realize this is going to upset some people, but as parents we are partially to blame for our kids behaviour. It is our duty to teach our children proper morals and values. I think we should have mandatory IQ testing before a person becomes a parent. If you're a moron, chances are your children will be too.

My legs are killing me

I realize this is going to upset some people, but as parents we are partially to blame for our kids behaviour. It is our duty to teach our children proper morals and values. I think we should have mandatory IQ testing before a person becomes a parent. If you're a moron, chances are your children will be too.
                                I agree 100%. When it comes to some kids, most of the problem comes from the parents.