OWN Oprah and Lance-spoilers (Read 328 times)

Prince of Fatness

But, for me, it seems as if he's begun a redemptive path to right his many wrongs.

I believe that he is going down that path because he has no choice.  Trying to lie his way out of this is no longer an option.  Just my opinion.

Not at it at all. 

flarunner

Not a fan of THE Lance for a multitude of reasons, but the fact that he doped isn't one of them.

Bottom line -- he is a FREAK of nature with a ridiculous aerobic engine.  Would he have ever won the Tour without doping?  Who knows?  I would venture that more were doing some form of doping than were not (maybe I am jaded).  Does that justify his doing it?  I will leave that to others to debate.

So, he admitted he doped -- alright, duly noted.

Nothing else to see...

Um, not really. Greg Lemond's VO2max: 93 ml/kg/m. LA's: 82-85 ml/kg/m. If you're getting that information from Coyle, you need to go back and check how he did (or rather didn't do) his research/testing with LA.

HermosaBoy

Um, not really. Greg Lemond's VO2max: 93 ml/kg/m. LA's: 82-85 ml/kg/m. If you're getting that information from Coyle, you need to go back and check how he did (or rather didn't do) his research/testing with LA.

You are telling me that LA's VO2 isn't huge?

OK -- LA = Freak

LeMond = FREAKier...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Even during the interview he still didnt want to tell the whole story (and didnt). He walks a very fine line between telling what happened and telling his version of the "truth". And continues to play up the Livestrong aspect.. essentially saying hes a humanitarian and wearing that yellow bracelet.

Hes right in that he controls his redemption. Wish he would start on that path one day.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Hes right in that he controls his redemption.  Wish he would start on that path one day.

Really?  I think he has started based on what I watched.

See this link posted earlier.

Post Oprah-1 Interview of Frankie Andreu

There's a message we heard, and there's been personal conversations going on that we're not privy to that he didn't want to address other than to say that he has a lot of people to apologize to.  If Frankie perceives this to be a courageous first step, why can't we?

Frankie said "When he (LA) called me before the interview, [to apologize], that voice I heard on the other line was very sincere and was very apologetic and was a side of Lance that I thought was forever gone."

Seriously, LA is human.  Yes, he doped.  Yes, he's a jerk.  Yes, he 'injured' people and bullied people.

What does anybody want from him that wasn't presented last night?

I hope it's a long hard battle for full redemption (whatever that means) and not an easy one, but you and I must have been following a different interview if you think that he hasn't started yet.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Umm ok.. he started by having the interview and admitting. He gets brownie points for that? But its all still very cold and calculating. He clearly maintains an agenda.

Frankie.. what about Betsy. Jesshh

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

xhristopher

Without doping Lance would have been just another rider. Everything he has and all his wealth is built upon fraud and by crushing anyone in his way. He only admitted doping because he was backed into a corner. About the only thing that would surprise me at this point would be for him to open up his checkbook and begin compensating people for the losses he caused them. Apologies aren't enough, especially when he is still sitting on a supposed 100 million of ill gotten wealth.

I'm not talking about sponsors here. Sponsors have already recouped their investment in him and more.

I hope it's a long hard battle for full redemption (whatever that means) and not an easy one, but you and I must have been following a different interview if you think that he hasn't started yet.

Cheers,,

Last night he suggested he wasn't a cheater because he was just levelling the playing field - according to one definition of "cheat" that he looked up. He apparently overlooked some of the other definitions that included not playing by the rules of the sport. He broke the rules, then lied about it to the public and under sworn testimony. Look at some of the clips of a very confident (or as he put it in retrospect - "arrogant prick") Armstrong displayed during the interview. They looked equally believable. He apparently can act well or has himself so convinced that he wasn't that wrong, that he appears innocent on tv.

He may have taken a first step of 10,000 or more that are needed, but he needs to followup - actions, not just words. I came away with the impression that if he hadn't tried the comeback and been caught, none of this would have come up. Having his ability to compete in sanctioned sports taken away seems to be the turning point. He wants to compete again. I don't know if there's anyway for him to right the wrongs he did (too many lives destroyed), but I can't help but feel that he's just doing what he thinks he needs to do to compete in some sport again. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not as gullible as I was 30 yrs ago. Only time will tell.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  wyerock

I didn't watch the whole thing, but didn't he say he was clean in 2009 (3rd place TDF) and 2010?

He also said he was clean DURING the races (compared to Floyd Landis who had a testosterone spike for a hill climb segment).  So how does that work (doping during training, carries over somehow)?

catwhoorg

Labrat

I didn't watch the whole thing, but didn't he say he was clean in 2009 (3rd place TDF) and 2010?

He also said he was clean DURING the races (compared to Floyd Landis who had a testosterone spike for a hill climb segment).  So how does that work (doping during training, carries over somehow)?

Its called lying.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

xhristopher

Will Armstrong cry for the camera on tonights installment? Anyone want to place bets? Should we use the new RA polling feature?

flarunner

You are telling me that LA's VO2 isn't huge?

OK -- LA = Freak

LeMond = FREAKier...

I'm telling you that LA's VO2 is average among elite endurance athletes. Better than me (and possibly you), but certainly nothing astounding or "freaky".

flarunner

1. Give back the jerseys

2. Give back the limoges (and the lions)

3. Give back the money "won"

4. Give back the money from all the lawsuits

5. Apologize publically to (off the top of my head): Stephen Swart, Christophe Bassons, Emma O'Reilly, Paul Kimmage, Michael Anderson, Betsy Andreau, Frankie Andreau, the 28 million (for using them to further his agenda and wealth)

6. Go away

But that's just what I would like to see happen.

flarunner

Last night he suggested he wasn't a cheater because he was just levelling the playing field - according to one definition of "cheat" that he looked up. He apparently overlooked some of the other definitions that included not playing by the rules of the sport. He broke the rules, then lied about it to the public and under sworn testimony. Look at some of the clips of a very confident (or as he put it in retrospect - "arrogant prick") Armstrong displayed during the interview. They looked equally believable. He apparently can act well or has himself so convinced that he wasn't that wrong, that he appears innocent on tv.

He may have taken a first step of 10,000 or more that are needed, but he needs to followup - actions, not just words. I came away with the impression that if he hadn't tried the comeback and been caught, none of this would have come up. Having his ability to compete in sanctioned sports taken away seems to be the turning point. He wants to compete again. I don't know if there's anyway for him to right the wrongs he did (too many lives destroyed), but I can't help but feel that he's just doing what he thinks he needs to do to compete in some sport again. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not as gullible as I was 30 yrs ago. Only time will tell.

And if he had just let Floyd ride on his team again, none of this would have happened.

Clearly a complicated athlete and person.

How much credit do we give Lance for the Livestrong Foundation's $470MM contribution to cancer research?  How much money could Lance have raised without winning the Tour de France?  Could Lance have won the TdF without cheating?  Could Lance have cheated and not been such an ahole?  If you were allowed to go back and trade places with him would you have made different choices and put that $470MM at risk?

I think it's an interesting discussion.  The recipe that drove him to greatness is also what made him fall (literally and figuratively).

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs