Bah, Bloody Blisters! (Read 648 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto. Sleep well. I will be sleeping-in, as the progeny is over at my ILs tonite. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Amen! I only have one here, but he's my super early riser! The bonus is, I can tell him to go get his own breakfast & play & I know he'll be good! This morning, he was so excited about going to work with Nate that he started trying to wake me up at 5:00am! Mind you, I was up until 1:30am & still had some bed spins at that point. I was so happy when they left & stayed in bed recovering until 9:45am!!
      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*shakes head* Lush. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

So what might be a solution to the problem? I'm kind of wondering if a different sock might help. While these (Asics technical sock of some sort) are very snug through the toes, they are designed to fit a range of foot sizes, so there is some slack at the back of the sock, right where I am blistering. I've used moleskin in the past, but find that it tends to sweat off and I think a loose piece of moleskin floating around back there might make matters worse.
          Hope I'm not too late to speak up... it sounds like your sock is involved, if you've got 'slack in the back' (haha Big grin). Have you tried using shorter socks? I like to buy my socks as short as I can, those kind with no 'neck', so the top just barely fits over my ankle bone (if at all). I also buy them pretty small so they fit my foot pretty tight (they stretch just fine) and don't slide down. And, of course, don't EVER wear cotton socks (I like coolmax and that sort of stuff, but I've been realy interested in the smartwool stuff). Of course, if your shoe is really rubbing the back of your ankle, it's not going to really help no matter what sock. I agree that some moleskin/foam will help you heal... then perhaps be preventative with some body-glide or vaseline? Eventually, if it's not a really bad rub, I'll bet you'll form a really sexy callus back there... we runners have beautiful feet, right? Wink
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

If it's not too late for vincentefrijole, then it's not too late for me Big grin It could also be that your right foot is longer than your left, which would make the right shoe's fit a little tighter and could explain the rubbing. It's not uncommon to have one foot longer than the other. Mine are different by 1/4 of an inch.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It could also be that your right foot is longer than your left, which would make the right shoe's fit a little tighter and could explain the rubbing. It's not uncommon to have one foot longer than the other. Mine are different by 1/4 of an inch.
              My right foot IS my "bigger" foot--I've never been certain if it's longer or wider...maybe both. Shoes always fit righty a bit snugger. Vincente, I agree on the short socks--I mostly like the really short ones to avoid sock lines as much as possible. But the length is still a tad long, since they are designed to fit a range of sizes and my foot size is right in the middle. I was reading that higher-end (ie pricier) running socks come in more sizes to help avoid blister issues (and this is one reason they cost more). We have a running store about 45 minutes away that I have been wanting to check out, so I might head that way later today. According to the Wright sock website they carry their double-layer socks there (and I've been seeing those socks recommended on quite a few sites). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eventually, if it's not a really bad rub, I'll bet you'll form a really sexy callus back there... we runners have beautiful feet, right? Wink
                Hey, I'm just hoping for some black toenails to really make the guys go crazy and women envy me! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Owie...so I put one of those expensive blister pads on and a new pair of those Wright double-layer socks. Unfortunately the double-layered part of the sock ends (where the sock cuffs) right around where the blister starts. And the blister pad sweated/rubbed-off by about 1.5 miles into my run. Again my heel (achilles tendon area) is bloody. I think this is probably why I've been dealing with shin splints, too--I'm certain I am favoring my heel, which is making my foot plant and stride off. I did the lace-lock technique with my laces, too...but didn't really notice that it did much. I'll try tying my shoes snugger next time to see if that helps. Any other suggestions? k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Take a couple of days off to heal up the skin! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well I haven't worn those shoes since Sat and it was almost totally healed before tonite's run...I don't know how I can keep training for that 10 mile race in 2.5 weeks if I take time off every time my heel bleeds. Sad Will I develop a callus if I just ignore it and run? It stops hurting after a while (probably is literally rubbed raw, heh). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Something I recall reading somewhere (can't recall what site) also suggested using heel lifts or cushions to minimize the amount of up-and-down movement in the back of a shoe. Would this likely help, or would doing this mess up my running mechanics in some way? I'd assume I'd want to do this for both shoes, even though the problem is only with one shoe, correct? k - wishing right now that she had "normal" feet (ie feet that weren't super wide with narrow-ish heels)

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

If you just ignore the raw, bleeding area and continue to torture yourself, my bet's that it'll affect your stride... which can affect your joints... which can cause you bigger problems than the blister. How about going back to your old shoes until you can get some new ones... and then designating these lovely new ones as, say, gardening shoes? Some places will let you return ones that give you blisters... but I'm thinking the chances of someone taking back blood-soaked shoes would be pretty slim...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I'll have to think on giving up on these shoes a while. At the moment I can't afford to purchase another new pair and with that race not far away I can't risk gambling on a new pair that might have issues of its own (and the first two shorter runs in the new shoes were great, it's only after my first long one that the rubbing in the back started to become an issue, so I'm not sure even trying a new pair in a store would have allowed me to avoid this irritation). And the old shoes weren't exactly ideal, either. If only my right foot were as cooperative as my left. I will say that my knees aren't bugging me anymore, LOL! Guess I solved one issue by creating another... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I found some interesting suggestions in this thread. Now I am wondering if the problem is that my shoe is too tight in the back after one of the comments in that thread, but I really don't think that's the case. Tonite I noticed that my left heel doesn't feel like it moves in the shoe at all, while I can feel the right sliding up-and-down in the shoe, which makes me think that the left heel is bigger or shaped in such a way that the shoe hugs the heel properly. While my right foot seems to be the bigger of the two, perhaps my left heel is larger than my right...? I saw somewhere where someone also recommended duct tape on areas of feet that get rubbed, which I may give a try--if for no other reason than to actually hold the blister pad in place (rather than having it sweat right off). I also want to see what the Smartwool socks do, since the Wright double-layer (while amazingly comfy--I do recommend them) socks don't seem to help, due to the double-layers not going high enough on the back of my foot. Oh, and this also seems to be a factor--my last pair of shoes had sort of a U-shaped notch cut out of the back, while the new NB 1000s don't have this notch and instead go straight across (so the area that is being rubbed was actually not covered by shoe in my previous pair). Next pair of shoes I will definitely be looking for another pair with that notch in the back (and I will be contacting NB to beg them to redesign the next generation of the 1000s to have that notch, as I really do love the shoes, otherwise). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, and more interesting stuff I am reading--in addition to helping with shoe backs that slide and cause chafing/bleeding/blisters heel lifts/cushions are also recommended to help with shin splints and overly tight calves, something else I deal with from time to time (had horrible issues with this all through HS). I'm definitely going to make a Rite Aid or Meijer run tomorrow to see what might work well in my shoes for this purpose. Sure would be cool to kill a few birds with one stone. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay