Pulled Calf Muscle and Crosstraining (Read 534 times)

Hi, I am new at posting on this forum but I have a question that I need help with. I am currently training for the Akron Half Marathon and last Friday I did an 11 mile long run. That evening at work I turned suddenly and I believe I pulled a calf muscle. I haven't been able to run since because when I do it hurts. I would like to do some crossing training exercises but I don't know what I can do that won't hurt the calf muscle any more. My race is on Sept. 29th and I am still planning the participate. How long does this type of injury last? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks Chris
    btb1490

Chris, sorry to hear about your injury at this stage of your training. You can't put a timeline on recovery from injuries, every one is different and everyone responds differently. But you can do things to speed up the recovery process. One of the best things you could do is see a good physical therapist or other similar medical professional to diagnose and treat the problem. On your own, you could ice, lightly massage, lightly stretch. As far as crosstraining goes, my PT always says to do whatever you can that doesn't aggrivate it. So you really have to experiment to find out what that is. Good substitues for running include pool running, biking, elliptical training, even walking. All of those things will keep you in reasonably good shape while you are healing. Try not to get discouraged! You've still got a couple of weeks. If your training has been solid up till now, you can just cruise in from here without losing much fitness. Good luck!
        Ouch - a good sports massage therapist may be helpful to you as well. Good luck.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agreed. Sports massage is AWESOME. And yes. It should hurt.