Steady as she goes...first 25k, DONE! (Read 830 times)

Dog-Love

Wow 25 K and you completed your goal feeling good. Have a great Mother's DAy brunch...you deserve it.
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    psycrunner

Kirsten & Eryn-- Congratulations! Way to set a goal and accomplish it! You both are an inspiration to me! I hope you can get that photo!
      Carol
        Ok, I'm finally here for my half of the race report. The weather was custom ordered, the race numbers were record breaking! The first half was incredible! I felt great, I felt strong, I was fast, my leg injury was staying at bay. I lost Kirsten at about mile 2 or so, as her legs were still a bit tight & sore and she, understandably, didn't want to push too hard & ruin it. I decided since I was going to be benched post race, why not push it & kept going. I expected to see my husband at mile 6.5 or so with a drink of water, some Sport Beans & two fresh pieces of gum (I can't stand to run without gum tucked in my cheek). I looked & looked through the spectator crowds for two miles & found no hubby! Of course, in anticipation of needing to chew beans, I had spit out my gum just prior to mile 6.5, so I was going dry...not something I'm used to! Post-race, I found out that I was apparently so fast that he wasn't there yet. He figured he had a while yet & he had missed me by several minutes! At 10 miles, I was still at a sub-10 pace and feeling strong. At mile 11, I decided to grab some Gatorade from an aid station since I had missed out on Sport Beans and wasn't to the Gu station yet...big mistake! I'm not a fan of Gatorade in general & apparently neither is my body. Two minutes after drinking it, I started to get nauseated. I was running with a couple of really nice guys that were quite fun, plus a girl I met last year, so I tried to push down the nausea and stay with them all. The first few hills, I was still strong and sub-10, but I noticed on the 2nd hill that my lower leg was starting to tighten & the burning pain was turning to shooting pain. My mile 12 or 13, the pain had crawled up from my lower leg to my entire right leg and I had to slow down. Besides, Kirsten & I wanted to run this race together & I was missing her. I figured she couldn't be much behind me, so I slowed down a bit more & kept checking behind me. I think, even with the pain, I would have kept pushing harder had she been at my side still. At that point, I thought about kicking myself for not staying with her 10 miles ago, but then realized I'd have to get my leg as high as my rear end & though my rear end was probably dragging a few inches lower than usual, it was just going to be too much work. By mile 13.5, the nausea had progressed to the point of not caring what the spectators thought of me tossing breakfast on their shoes! A half mile from the finish line, I gave up finishing with her & started to push a little harder again. Just after I rounded the last curve before the finish, I heard Derek holler "go Eryn" followed a few seconds later by, "Eryn's just ahead, go get her Kirsten". Inwardly, I struggled between "she beat you by two seconds in that 10mile race a few weeks ago, you aren't seriously going to wait, are you?" Evil grin and "she is your best friend & you two wanted to finish this together, holding hands & skipping!". Smile I think I was actually carrying the little "good Eryn/bad Eryn" guys on my shoulder for a few meters! So good me won out, since I new I was going to PR anyway. I looked over my shoulder, used what breath I still had & hollered, "Come get me, Blondie, come get me!!" Twenty or so feet before the finish line, I held my hand out behind me & told her to get moving & grab on. Just a few feet before the finish, we joined hands & ran (no energy left for skipping) across together, my shoe crossing just a millisecond before hers, placing me ahead (ok, so best friend only goes so far when you are naturally a highly competitive individual!!). It was incredible!!! I'm so glad she was there and we made it together!! Kirsten & I have pushed, pulled & shoved each other through things for a lot of years, so it was only fitting that we finish our big race this way. I PR'd, beating my 2006 time by 7:20! I'm a little frustrated with myself for not keeping up that beautiful sub-10 pace I had for the first 11 miles, but I'm chalking it up the leg injury. Besides, I wouldn't have got to finish with Kirsten if I had kept that pace up, and that finish made the race more memorable than anything! The Fifth Third River Bank Run was, once again, an incredibly well organized race with a beautiful, challenging course, fantastic crowd support, friendly, supportive runners and lots of great memories. I think this is a race I will run every year. Maybe we'll see some of our RA friends there next year, hey zoom zoom?? Big grin Now, off to the bench for me, says my physical therapist!!
        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats to both of you! Way to go!!! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think I was actually carrying the little "good Eryn/bad Eryn" guys on my shoulder for a few meters! So good me won out, since I new I was going to PR anyway.
            Fine, but next race, it's Bad Eryn's turn! Evil grin Great Job. Congrats! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm too beat to pen my complete race report at the moment....Tomorrow is Mother's Day buffet. I plan to put on every calorie I burned today--and then some.
              All right then. How about a Buffet Report? Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Fine, but next race, it's Bad Eryn's turn! Evil grin Great Job. Congrats! Big grin
                We do have a 15K on 6/23...Bad Eryn may be lurking about!! During our 10mi race, she had that last little push that I didn't (damn ex-sprinter types!!), but I seriously thought about grabbing her pony tail & whipping her to the ground to make it in before her! Evil grin Evil grin I do not lose well! Really, I need to get these competition issues in check! The girl is my very best friend & it almost crossed my mind to injure her to win?? I need therapy!! Wink Big grin Blush Evil grin
                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Between the start line and finish line, anything goes. Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We do have a 15K on 6/23...Bad Eryn may be lurking about!! During our 10mi race, she had that last little push that I didn't (damn ex-sprinter types!!), but I seriously thought about grabbing her pony tail & whipping her to the ground to make it in before her! Evil grin Evil grin I do not lose well! Really, I need to get these competition issues in check! The girl is my very best friend & it almost crossed my mind to injure her to win?? I need therapy!! Wink Big grin Blush Evil grin
                    Hmmm...perhaps I need a "Bad Kirsten".... Big grin Next year I want to be sub 10 for the entire 25k, so perhaps we can run across the finish line holding hands, again. Maybe then they will print our photo in the paper! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If one of you is hanging on the other's ponytail, I guarantee you'll make the paper!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If one of you is hanging on the other's ponytail, I guarantee you'll make the paper!
                        Hmmm...that would be hilarious--I can see the headline already, "Throw-down at the Riverbank Run Finish." Big grin The famous skirt! Holy thighs, batman!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok...so I promised an "official" race report...here goes! Woke up dark and early (as opposed to "bright" and early--not too bright at 4am) to make sure that I would have plenty of time to shower, get dressed, eat, get my coffee in, relax, make sure I had everything I needed along, and ample time for my guys to get going, too. By 5:45 we were out the door and ready to hit the road for our hour drive to the race. After a potty stop (coffee...heh) we were in Grand Rapids at 7am, sharp. We easily found a parking spot in a ramp just a few steps from the starting line, then went into DeVoss Place where they had opened up the huge hall that they use for the auto show and other large events as a nice indoor place for runners to stretch and use the bathrooms. I got my last potty in about 45 minutes before the start. Eryn was in line to "go" as I was exiting the ladies' room. We then got down to the business of warming up, stretching, and saying goodbye to our hubbies and my son before we cramed ourselves into the elbow-room-only crowd lining up for the 25k (the larger 5k event starts 5 minutes after the 25k takes off). A few minutes later the crowd starts to move forward...I didn't even realize that the race had started (I guess we were back far enough to not really hear the gun), but we were off. I was fully expecting to have to dodge slower people and waste a lot of time zig-zagging in the first mile or so, as I did for the Komen Race for the Cure 5k I did last Fall, but I really didn't have to. The crowd very quickly spread out and I almost immediately found my comfortable, maintainable pace--which I maintained almost perfectly from start to finish (the hills in the second half slowed me some, but I made up for it in the last couple of miles...when my sprinter thighs shine, heh). By mile 2 Eryn was getting ahead of me...part of me wanted to push to keep up with her, but a bigger voice in my head said "you had 3 shitty runs in a row before this race and have trained for an entire year--make this a race to remember fondly, not one that leaves miserable memories of breathing struggles and nausea. There's always next year to kick some ass once you know the lay of the land and what to expect." I listened to that voice. I also want to get my allergies and asthma under better control for '08--especially since I want next year to be the year that I complete my first marathon. The weather could not have been more perfect if I had ordered it. Cool, damp and cloudy at the start, giving way to milder temps and full sun with light winds just a few miles in. Along the race I would occasionally chat with other runners--some who ended up speeding up, others who slowed-down. One gal I recognized from the 10 mile race Eryn and I did 3 weeks ago. She was one of 2 women we passed just before the finish of that race. For a long while I kept pace with a woman who does triathlons and was "coaching" a friend along in this race. I eventually lost them when they walked through a water stop--I have found that I definitely do well with my Camelbak, as my legs almost instantly tighten up as soon as I slow to even a brisk walk (if I ever have to use a port-a-john during a race I think it will really mess me up bad). The only real physical issue I had during the race were a couple of miles of what I am pretty certain is chronic compartment syndrome. I really only get this now during longer races. It almost always comes on about 3 miles in, causes my feet to go mostly numb for a couple of miles, then dissipates. It's strange, but it's far less bothersome now than it once was, since I know it's temporary. By mile 11 the hillier terrain was starting to effect my breathing to the point where I thought it might be a good idea to use my inhaler. Note to self: should have been doing this during all other long races--what a difference it made. Shortly after I came upon a runner who was loudly yakking on the side of the course. Right then I REALLY wished I'd had my iPod--that sound is enough to make even a runner with no queasiness sick to his/her stomach. There were other times I kind of wished I had my iPod, too, but mostly I was enjoying eavesdropping on the conversations of others (boy, do people ever talk about strange stuff, Tongue) and the other sounds of the race. I used a GU packet around mile 5, then a little Rice Krispy treat a few miles later, and one last GU 3-4 miles from the finish. One guy noticed the Rice Krispy treat I pulled from my Camelbak and said "hey, you got a beer stashed in there somewhere?" I told him that unfortunately I didn't, but that it had definitely crossed my mind on more than one occasion. Shortly after I heard a couple of people talking about my favorite beer (Bell's Oberon) and I started really looking forward to the finish line (never did get my free Michelob beer, though). During the last 3 miles I think I had a permanent smile plastered on my face. I wasn't running this race as fast as I had originally wanted to, but I just found the whole experience to be so blissful. AND by this point I was starting to pass people left and right. Slow and steady DOES win the race. By the last mile I was dodging people like they were standing still. The last half mile I was nearly sprinting and I felt stronger than I ever have at the end of a race. I wore the biggest cheesy grin for the last few hundred yards. Next year I will likely finish faster and with no silly grin on my face, but this year I went for the experience. Of the 5,672 runners who ran the 25k I'll bet there were few others who finished giggling. Seeing Eryn just a few yards ahead of me as I approached the finish line and being able to cross hand-in-hand with her was just the icing on the cake. After the race we stopped by a JDRF garage sale in town that we had donated a bunch of stuff to (my charity of choice is Girls On The Run, hubby's is the JDRF, as he is preparing for his 3rd 105 mile bike benefit this Summer). Then we drove an hour to Eryn's place to hang out for the afternoon. It was one of the best. days. ever. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

::heart::
                              Ok! Just doing a quick check-in here!! Was looking forward to reading this!! Congrats Kirsten and Eryn!!! WAY TO GO!!!! Woooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok! Just doing a quick check-in here!! Was looking forward to reading this!! Congrats Kirsten and Eryn!!! WAY TO GO!!!! Woooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
                                Joni and Andrea...wanna run it with us next year...? Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay