Vibram or Merrell? Hmm... (Read 1614 times)

Actually, I'm using the Injinji liners, which have practically no thickness,  I have one pair of the socks, which are a bit thicker.  I use them infrequently, but they haven't crowded me in the VFFs.

I wear both the injinji liners and regular injinji socks in my VFF's with no issue's as well

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh roo roooo!

I wear both the injinji liners and regular injinji socks in my VFF's with no issue's as well

Interesting--I bought Injinji toe socks for mine and they absolutely do not fit in the VFFs, no way, no how.....

Interesting--I bought Injinji toe socks for mine and they absolutely do not fit in the VFFs, no way, no how.....

When I first started wearing the Vibram's I didn't do any type of sock, however winter came and I didn't have a choice. I've also found that after while my Vibram's stretched. I've been wearing the injinji socks for about 2 years now (before I started with the Vibram's so getting them in was never a problem. In fact getting my toes in the Vibram's were never a problem either. I think for the most part my toes are of "average" size

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You mean the socks are too thick?  Maybe we aren't talking about the same products.  My liners are thin thin, and the socks are only a little thicker.  Perusing the web quickly, I see they make "original weight" and "midweight", and possibly other styles.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Injinji socks: I own two pair.  1) a racing pair that an uncut toenail ripped through in the first run.  2) a medium weight pair that I bled through (unrelated to the socks) the first run -- they were a nice snow white before that. 

Mostly I use them for between-toe blister prevention -- or rather, blister worsening prevention.  I seem to constantly have blisters between my toes.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have holes in some of my Injinjis, but use them anyway.  My one complaint is that it's time-consuming to turn 'em outside-out and put 'em on.

Injinji socks: I own two pair.  1) a racing pair that an uncut toenail ripped through in the first run.  2) a medium weight pair that I bled through (unrelated to the socks) the first run -- they were a nice snow white before that. 

Mostly I use them for between-toe blister prevention -- or rather, blister worsening prevention.  I seem to constantly have blisters between my toes.

That is the exact reason why I started wearing them.  And like Ledlincoln I still wear them even when they get holes, though I've only had one hole that happened in the toe. I usually wear them out on the bottom of forefoot. I also get black. Forget white lol

That is the exact reason why I started wearing them.  And like Ledlincoln I still wear them even when they get holes, though I've only had one hole that happened in the toe. I usually wear them out on the bottom of forefoot. I also get black. Forget white lol

Black socks never get dirty. The longer you wear 'em the blacker they get!

Marylander

I can't run in the VFFs since the knuckles on my toes are too thick. The seams rub my skin off. My toes are too thick to fit socks or the liners on inside the VFFs. The NB MT10s are pretty similar to the Merrells but with a little bit narrower toe box (as someone with 3E feet I really notice the width). I think you've just got to find what works for you. There are some very fast runners who run in minimalist shoes and barefoot (not me!) so whether or not the shoes slow you down or not is, again, dependent on your situation.

Why are Merrells hard to put on, especially compared to VFFs?  Why can't you wear socks with them?  BTW, I wear Injinji toe socks with my VFFs.

The Vibrams are only hard to put on at the toes, at least from my experience. The Merrell's are hard to get your heel in. This is why socks would be a pain in the ass.

BTW, I don't like Injinjis. For some reason they really hurt my toes.

Feeling the growl again

The Vibrams are only hard to put on at the toes, at least from my experience. The Merrell's are hard to get your heel in. This is why socks would be a pain in the ass.

BTW, I don't like Injinjis. For some reason they really hurt my toes.

Did you loosen the top two lace crosses just one tug with your finger?  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Did you loosen the top two lace crosses just one tug with your finger?  

Shit all that education and I didn't even think of that. lol

Feeling the growl again

Shit all that education and I didn't even think of that. lol

Well, no need to be like that about it, assuming that was sarcasm.  I'm just trying to picture why the heels are hard to get in if you loosen the top of the laces a bit.  With regular running shoes you just push them in but it doesn't work with this type of shoe.  It was an honest question.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Oh roo roooo!

You mean the socks are too thick?  Maybe we aren't talking about the same products.  My liners are thin thin, and the socks are only a little thicker.  Perusing the web quickly, I see they make "original weight" and "midweight", and possibly other styles.

Yes, I have the original weight, as that's all that was available back when I bought these.  I have worn them in other shoes, just to get some use out of them, but they make my VFFs incredibly tight, like cut-off-the-circulation tight, if I try to wear them w/those.

Someone else referred to VFFs being hard to get on at the toes but easy at the heel--I also find this to be the opposite of my experience.  It takes a little work to get my toes aligned (smallest toe particularly, it barely even goes into the toe pocket, it is so short) but then I am absolutely WRESTLING w/the VFFs to get them on over my heel! 

This thread is really interesting just in how different everyone's experience w/the same products but different feet can be--really kind of a "blind men and the elephant" situation....

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

as we often here, "we are all experiments of 1"...

The OP also asked about form improvement/change which leads to my observation - anything I put on my feet allows me to more easily heel land because it reduces heel "feel". I started transition to BFusing VFF Bikilia's and still wore them thru in the heel, not as dramatically as with thick soled shoes but still heel landing or at least heel motion. They did get me to get the feel of fore/mid foot landings with a moderate amount of heel motion or heel landing, not sure which. I've been using thick winter socks recently to keep feet warm and to test form and am still showing enough heel motion of some kind (right foot primarily) which holes the socks in about 8mi. Now my issue is compounded by old injuries in an older body... major surgery on left calf, two bad knees (that running has improved) and the many years of favoring right side because of left side problems. So, my point, while the Merrills and VFFs will help transition to fore/mid foot landing form, they might not completely eliminate some heel landings for ya.

bob e v
                                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.