Can you decode this terminology for me? (Read 1194 times)

Decode: Dist: 5mi, inc Warm; 3x800@5:33 w/ 400 jogs; Cool Now I know it says to run a total distance of 5miles consisting of a 1 mile warmup followed by 3 repeats of 800meters at a 5:33 pace with 400m jog pace rest intervals. End with 1 mile cooldown. but my Q is: Is the 5:33 pace a min/mile pace or a min/800m pace? I run an avg of 11mm so I cant imagine basically sprinting this distance at that speed! I ASSUME it means to run 800m at a 11:07 min/mi pace (5:33 doubled) but I just want to make sure.... thanks!

Slow-smooth-fast

Sorry, but I think this is self explanatory.If you can only do a mile in just over 11, then how the hell would you expect to do 800m repeats in half that pace? Double it and that is your m/mile pace.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jeffdonahue

Decode: Dist: 5mi, inc Warm; 3x800@5:33 w/ 400 jogs; Cool Now I know it says to run a total distance of 5miles consisting of a 1 mile warmup followed by 3 repeats of 800meters at a 5:33 pace with 400m jog pace rest intervals. End with 1 mile cooldown. but my Q is: Is the 5:33 pace a min/mile pace or a min/800m pace? I run an avg of 11mm so I cant imagine basically sprinting this distance at that speed! I ASSUME it means to run 800m at a 11:07 min/mi pace (5:33 doubled) but I just want to make sure.... thanks!
        It means you should do the 800 in 5:33 (so that would be an 11:06 per mile pace). But also given that there are 3 800s your warmup and cooldown should be more like a mile and a half each to get the full 5 miles in.
          Distance of 5 miles including warm-up; 3X800m in 5:33 (like you said, 11:07 per mile pace) with 400m jog in between; then cool-down. Where did you get this schedule? Did someone write it for you or did you just pick it up in a book or something? If you can run at 11:00 per mile pace, what's the point of doing repeat at 11:07 pace? Why don't you just run them continuously?

SMART Approach

3 X 800M @ 5:33 to me has always meant run your intervals at 5:33 pace. As Nobby points out, something isn't right here. If 11 minute miles is your comfortable pace, you interval work should be more like 9 min. pace. But the fact that you are not sure means you probably shouldn't be doing hard intervals to begin with. We don't know much about you to make this statement but this is my guess. What category of runner are you and what are your goals?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I would read that as at 5:33 pace. I normally think of using the @-sign to go with pace, and use the word in to mean a specific time target i.e. 3x800 @5:33 means 5:33 pace to me 3x800 in 5:33 means 5:33 time target for the interval Looking at your log, I'd suggest focusing on running more often and consistently at an easy pace. Ditch the intervals. Tempo 1/week is ok. Intervals are the icing on the cake. At this point, you still need to focus on the cake (building up easy miles)

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

agree - run more consistantly and ditch the intervals for now. They dont serve that much purpose when you are still building up the meat of your aerobic fitness.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

At this point, you still need to focus on the cake (building up easy miles)
                  They don't serve that much purpose when you are still building up the meat of your aerobic fitness.
                  So which is it -- meat or cake? Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Its straight from Runners World. I went onto their training plans for a 10k; entered my 5k race time of 36 minutes and it popped out a schedule for me. its giving me an 11:07 speed interval pace because its using my 5k time as my usual paceof a 12mm.

A Saucy Wench

kidney pie?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It's meatcake!! Thank you George Carlin!
                        Chris345

I plugged in my numbers (22:34 5k) and got this: Dist: 5mi, inc Warm; 3x800@3:29 w/400 jogs; Cool I'm sure they mean run the 800 in 3:29. I agree with you that it's confusing but If I could do an 800 in 1:45 I'd be a rock star! IMHO- these intervals are not going to hurt you since they are not super fast. You should try it and if you feel like it's too much than back off and work on your base.
                            I think I am going to wait a few more weeks and maybe two more 5Ks before I actually use the times this training log gives you . I havent ran a race since Sept last year so I HOPE i can run faster than that now.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Q
                              Confused Can you decode that? More importantly, do you like monkeys?