Sad day (Read 992 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My Forerunner 305 died after 15 months of excellent service. Two days of seizing and now it is just dead. There is what appears to be a water bubble in the LCD. I guess it could not take the intense heat and humidity, but methinks that after all this time it finally lost its waterproof seal and my high-quality sweat did it in. Sheesh. Call to Garmin later today. But I'm thinking I will need to replace it on my own dime.
      l and my high-quality sweat did it in.
      Have you any issues with the rubber deteriorating at all? The back of mine is just starting to (I think where the two screws are) a bit. The paint of the front looks like it's starting to "crackle" too. I've found others with the same problem from looking at forums on the net. Mine's only at the beginning stages, but I've seen how it can progress. I'm sorta just watching it hoping it doesn't get too bad.
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

My Forerunner 305 died after 15 months of excellent service. Two days of seizing and now it is just dead. There is what appears to be a water bubble in the LCD. I guess it could not take the intense heat and humidity, but methinks that after all this time it finally lost its waterproof seal and my high-quality sweat did it in. Sheesh. Call to Garmin later today. But I'm thinking I will need to replace it on my own dime.
        That could explain why the Garmin stock has climbed into the nose bleed heights in the last year.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, the back and outside look pristine. Well, except the scratch on the top corner where I fell 9 months ago. But that ain't it.
          btb1490

A sad day indeed. On the bright side, you can get a new one at probably close to half the price of what you paid for yours 15 months ago. Thanks to your warning and others that I've heard with the same problem, I always wear mine in the shower with me after my runs to make sure I rinse off the sweat, and occasionally put some vasoline around the seal. I'll bet a 401 or 405 model is due out soon. Hold out for one of those and write us a review!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just spoke with support. Nothing worked. And there is a water bubble in the display. Out of warranty. $90 for repair + I have to ship it to them. A new one costs as little as $190 over the web, with anothe $8 shipping. And there is a $50 rebate right now. Repair for ~$100 or replace for ~$150.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks to your warning and others that I've heard with the same problem, I always wear mine in the shower with me after my runs to make sure I rinse off the sweat, and occasionally put some vasoline around the seal.
                Good to know. I always wear my regular stopwatch in the shower for that reason. Salt is really corrosive and I sweat like a little piggy. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sorry to hear that Trent.
                  Repair for ~$100 or replace for ~$150.
                  To me the solution is clear. Do both - then you have a backup. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

Trent, how often did you use yours? Pretty much every run? I use mine about 2x per week--just trying to estimate it's lifespan. Rinsing it off after use is probably a good idea... Modified to add: does anyone else have the problem of the little metal connectors on the back getting corroded/turning black? It seems to happen to one of thos little guys more than the others and sometimes I have trouble synching using the cradel/serial cable. It takes a few tries and I have to connect and un-connect things a couple times (I think because it's not making a solid connection?)

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Modified to add: does anyone else have the problem of the little metal connectors on the back getting corroded/turning black? It seems to happen to one of thos little guys more than the others and sometimes I have trouble synching using the cradel/serial cable. It takes a few tries and I have to connect and un-connect things a couple times (I think because it's not making a solid connection?)
                      Would using a pink pencil erraser on the contacts help? I know that's recommended for other sorts of electrical contacts when they get corroded. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I use it with nearly every run, at least just to time the total run. The corrosion happens unless you wash the GPS immediately after your run.

Imminent Catastrophe

... A new one costs as little as $190 over the web, with anothe $8 shipping. And there is a $50 rebate right now.
                          $150? Hmmmmmm....after getting lost and running out of water in the heat last week, it might be a good investment. Before you ask, no, I wasn't at home Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Modified to add: does anyone else have the problem of the little metal connectors on the back getting corroded/turning black? It seems to happen to one of thos little guys more than the others and sometimes I have trouble synching using the cradel/serial cable. It takes a few tries and I have to connect and un-connect things a couple times (I think because it's not making a solid connection?)
                            I used to have this problem. Now I put a little rubbing alcohol on a q-tip (blot the excess off so it is just damp) and wipe the contacts clean that way. I have never had a problem since.
                            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                            Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Trent My G201 got some moisture inside the glass and I contacted Garmin (UK) who suggested I returned it. A few days later a replacement unit came through. Smile The unit was over 20 months old at the time ... Garmin provided good customer service. Hope you are as lucky. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks Neil. The good gentleman I spoke with today at Garmin (US) said they would be happy to repair it. At cost.