Advice on adopting a rescue/fostered dog (Read 230 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

Pfeiffer is adorable. Congrats!!

Robin

uncontrollable

You're intention is such a positive and beautiful one!  It stinks that it can't be simple.  I will say - I "rescued" both my wonderful German Shepherds BUT it was kind of haphazard...on two different occasions I just happened to mention to the 'right' people I would LOVE to find a German Shepherd but really don't have the means (work schedule etc.) to raise a puppy - months later - both times...as luck would have it - both were "found" & waiting at animal shelter & the other at police pound for claim.  I know it is probably rare & unusual to come together like this but my thought is that you can also reach out in other areas: FB, friends, co-workers, etc...and maybe something that is meant to be will pop into your life.  It happened to me: TWICE.  My dogs were both SPECTACULAR and one of the best parts of my life.  Just lost one to age and the other my ex took & gave away (don't ask) - I will never get over them and miss them EVERY DAY.  Good luck to you.

peace

uncontrollable

ooops! posted before I read the whole thread!!!  Congrats on the little guy!

peace

mscici

Hi everyone, just being new here. Smile

Just a simple advice on adopting a rescue or fostered dog.

Don't be afraid to ask the rescue staff about the dog. They aren’t concerned with getting dogs out the door at any cost - most are dedicated to finding good homes for the dogs in their care – so you can be pretty confident that they'll give you the straight story. Find out what the dog is really like and how he gets along with the staff and the other dogs. How does he act at mealtimes? What is he like when people come by to view the other dogs? The answers to questions like these will give you a better idea of what he will be like with you and your family at home.