Air quality - brush fires (Read 859 times)

Moondog

I'm in Los Angeles and as many of you probably know, there are a bunch of fires going on right now. The closest to me is probably 20+ miles away as I am in what's called the "South Bay" (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, etc..) and the fires are in Malibu and also down south. But the sky is dirty with smoke. I have a clear view of the LAX runway from my office and I'd say that visibility right now is about 3-4 miles. Should I not run later on today? Is there a website or something that tracks air quality and advises whether or not we should engage in strenuous outdoor activity? Thanks, Eric
      I was on the bike yesterday-up the balloona creek trail, marina del ray, venice, santa monica, etc (I could see the fires in Malibu, crazy, beautiful view). I didn't have any issues at all with the air quality. I did notice the air quality b/c of the fires once last summer, and this isn't anything like it was then (not yet, at least).
        I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to such things. I would probably venture out, and if the air quality seemed to be affecting me, I'd pack it in and head for the gym and the treadmill, but that's just me.
          I'm in San Diego. I opened my front door to leave this morning and it smelled like I was a foot from a bonfire. You can see ash falling from the sky...my van is covered. I decided not to run. The next few days don't look promising at all. Sad I'm just glad we are ok so far. Over 250,000 people have been evacuated, most buinesses are closed, schools and major roads/freeway.

Jennifer mm#1231

Dog-Love

When I grew up in LA the late 60's air quality was worse than it is now and we were prevented from runniing track when the airquality was rated a certain value (can't remember) but some times I would run any way and it really hurt my longs. So I would say...take a break or go inside..or take a long drive for a long run elsewhere
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              The EPA AirNow website (http://airnow.gov/) has a dummy-proof color coded system to alert people when it's unhealthy to exercise outside. You can see that right now many parts of LA are coded red - unhealthy because of high PM10 (particulate matter) concentrations. If you go running outside in one of those areas, you'll probably do more harm than good (just my opinion, but it's what I study for a living...if you can call it that). I'd stick to the treadmill until the levels go down.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm glad you SoCal peeps are OK. I have a friend in El Segundo just a few blocks from LAX...I need to find out how she's doing, too. Be safe, friends. Don't breathe that air if you don't have to. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

The EPA AirNow website (http://airnow.gov/) has a dummy-proof color coded system to alert people when it's unhealthy to exercise outside. You can see that right now many parts of LA are coded red - unhealthy because of high PM10 (particulate matter) concentrations. If you go running outside in one of those areas, you'll probably do more harm than good (just my opinion, but it's what I study for a living...if you can call it that). I'd stick to the treadmill until the levels go down.
                  I trust you! I'm in Hermosa Beach right now and looking out the window it's really hazy everywhere except for just over the water. My husband went surfing earlier and he said the water was brownish, probably from ash. I think it's a day of forced rest in LA! modified to add- Jen, I can't believe how bad San Diego is! I hope you guys are okay. I didn't realize all the schools and businesses were shutting down. Sad
                  deb

Imminent Catastrophe

<sarcasm> I sure hope that Tom and Katie are OK </sarcasm>

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Moondog

Thanks for all your feedback. I ran yesterday afternoon.... only 2 miles....i'm still new at this. Outside of the "concerned" looks of other people wondering what that moron was doing running in those conditions it turned out okay.
                        It's still brown and hazy here. The fires worsen and grew last night. We have them north and south of us but because we are on the coast, we are getting all of the smoke and haze. I have not run. We have the house closed up and the air filter/ozone running so we are breathing easy. Dh is an EMT ... he and I and the 2 oldest boys are headed out to volunteer at an evacuation center near our home. Hug your family and pray for our firefighters.

Jennifer mm#1231

Thanks for this info. I'm keeping this bookmarked.

Imminent Catastrophe

That's a very good website! Makes me wish I was in North Cascades National Park, though.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

If you go running outside in one of those areas, you'll probably do more harm than good (just my opinion, but it's what I study for a living...if you can call it that).
                              Where are you going to school? I'm working on my Ph.D. in meteorolgy, but I study clouds. We should chat Smile MTA: Thinking of everyone in S. Cali, hope things get better soon!
                                I'm at UNC studying the health effects of climate change and air pollution.... which unfortunately means that all I can think about during afternoon runs is my lung cells keeling over from pollution. If I could move my limbs before sunrise, I'd run in the morning so I could breathe without analyzing whether the benefits of running are outweighed by the damage of each breath. Alas... I've never been a coffee drinker, but since grad school is quickly kicking my butt all the way to Starbucks, maybe the caffeine will help me get an earlier start to my workouts!