Why does weekly mileage matter so much? (Read 3293 times)

#artbydmcbride

Competitive tennis?  Competitive tennis?   When you could be running??       I am speechless!

Runners run

Doug Little

Man, ACEDAVE,

Why don't you pat yourself on the back just a little more?

You have countered every comment given, so it seems as if you have decided and good for you.

For us other mortals, we go out to have fun. A goal is a goal but most of us take it as form of recreation.

Thousands of us would love to have your numbers but not your attitude.

I am glad that I am 60 years old, can still walk, can run 8 or 9 minute miles, can do a 1/2, can hug my grandkids and can laugh when I get passed by someone like you. (I didn't say who I was laughing at).

Have a good run everyone

Hawt and sexy

heh

30 mpw.

Wasting time?

Yeah, um, pass the popcorn.

I'm touching your pants.

Slow-smooth-fast

Don't see what the big deal is here. This kind of topic has been covered on numerous occasions. Just search the boards.

I will give you an interesting thought behind more miles, more speed.

After running about 40mpw for  2 months(mixing it up with easy, hard etc)  I did a 5k Time Trial - 22:13

Then I decided to up the miles and cut out the speed work, all easy. For the next 8 or so weeks I went out most days, and averaged over this period of time 60mpw, peaking at around 70. All the runs were very easy, in fact I used a heart rate monitor (MAF Training).

I beleive when I started my aerobic pace was around 8:50/mile, albeit if I went anything over 4/5 miles I would get a huge cardiac drift and my pace would slow down drastically as I was sticking to my HR reading.

8 weeks later, my aerobic pace was 7:30ish, i.e same heart rate as before, more speed.

I then came off this training plan, did a track session of intervals on the tueday night, and then on the wednesday night did the same 5k time trial.......

I was made up with the results. I covered it in 18:50! Now that is some improvement. Go figure, more miles, more speed.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Purdey

Self anointed title

I wonder how much of an advantage does the 70 mile/week person really have over the 25 m/w person?  

If you want to stick to 25mpw then that is fine.  I have no problem with that.  However, you will never run a marathon as well as somebody who runs 70 mpw (ceteris paribus).

I guess it all boils down to what you want out of running.  Running 3 hard sessions per week (Hmmm... this sounds like FIRST) because you have other commitments is ok - but don't use the "other commitments" as an excuse for not running.   It would seem to me that, if this is where you want to go, then your goal is not to enjoy running, or to race well, but is rather to "complete" a marathon, or a half, on as little training as possible.

Most people on here want to run as much as possible, not the reverse.

Many of us lead very busy lives and can manage to run.. a lot... but that is because we want to run a lot.  There are people on here who have extremely demanding jobs, many young children etc etc etc... and they get out of bed earlier in order to run 15 miles before breakfast with the family.  Go figure.

Julia1971

Whats more important, pushing yourself to run faster paces or the amount of miles (quantity vs. quality)?

I think it's a mixture of both.  Personally, I saw the greatest improvement in my race times when I increased my mileage but also added one race pace workout a week - tempo runs @ goal 10K pace (much faster than usually recommended); intervals @ goal 5K pace (which for me doesn't feel so hard).  I'm experimenting with even higher mileage this season, though.  But, if I don't see results, I'll probably go back to what I was doing before.  And, I think that's the key to traning well - read or take advice from experienced runners/coaches, give what they recommend a try, then keep what works for you and discard what doesn't.

Feeling the growl again

Why do you think I"ve made up my mind?  If I made up my mind, then I wouldn't have posted this thread. I'm just trying to find the boundary between running enough to meet my goals, and wasting my time by running too much without any gain.

You're making it sound like you want to run just enough to reach a set goal and no more.  OK, there's not necessarily a problem with that, but it's a bit crass to characterize those doing more as "wasting their time".  Perhaps their goal is to keep improving to see how well they can do?

I ran 40-50 mpw in college and ran 34:18 10K/ 1:18 HM.  Over the next few years I doubled my mileage to around 100 mpw and got to sub-31 10K and sub-1:10 HM.

You've got a lot to learn if you think running hard every day is the way to go and that people only run miles to pad their logs.  Perhaps you know a small number of people you can beat on very low miles.  Good for you, I guess you are very talented.  If you were to take a larger sample size, I guarantee you would find the opposite to be true. 

I've got kids, a job and I am sure more hobbies than you.  I still get 60-70 mpw.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Anyways I always hear about the weekly mileage, but I know people who run 2 to 3 times as much as me, yet they are running 9-10 minute pace.  What is the real benefit of running 30, 40, or 50+ miles when training for a half marathon?  Is it about preventing cramps and fatigue, or about increasing pace?   Why do some people who run so much never improve their times?  Whats more important, pushing yourself to run faster paces or the amount of miles (quantity vs. quality)?

I'm not as experienced as some of the others here but I have been increasing my mileage over the last couple of years and it has worked for me.

To me there is a big difference between running 40, 50 miles (or whatever) for just a couple of months for a race and running 40, 50 miles for months, even years.  It's the mileage over time.  I do a couple of workouts a week, and what they are depends on when and how long my next race is.  My "plans" are pretty much a few weeks of sharpening for whatever race I am running.  My mileage doesn't vary all that much over the course of a year.

Right now I am training for races that are 6 months or more down the road.  The money is in the bank for races that are in the near future.  Changing my thinking to this way has been the key for me.

That's my take on it.

Not at it at all. 

Runner

Several points:

1st:  Approaching run training by running all runs at a pace that you can maintain hard effort will lead to injury if you up your mileage.  Eddy has already explained how the benefits of increasing slow miles can affect a runner.   Perhaps the people you are familiar with that run more than you do not train wisely and there times reflect that.  Perhaps they are just slower than you, but would be much slower if not for the extra mileage.  Your training is akin in my mind to practicing only your serve in tennis because you then can just blow it by your opponent.  What about when someone's return is better than your serve though? 

Point 2:  I think a lot of the people are jumping on you because you are coming across as deriding those who are slower.  Do an ultra and see how those slower runners do against you.   You'd be amazed at how well a 10 minute pace type person can do if they can maintain it for a very long time. Otherwise be more careful in the word choice you make or many will jump to conclusions. 

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Scout7

It doesn't, assuming your goal is to maximize your tennis abilities.

So, let's ask that question....  How much time a week do you spend on tennis?  How much time does someone like Nadal or Federer spend a week playing tennis?

Then we look at elite distance runners.  How many miles do they average in a week?  Most are doing 100+.  So, it stands to reason that the more time one spends practicing and perfecting a given skill, the better one becomes at said skill.

Of course there are those who have a natural predisposition for certain skills.  That would generally be a prerequisite for an elite-level athlete.  However, it also takes a lot of time, over the course of many years, to fully develop those talents.

In the end, if you're happy training a minimum amount for running, no one will give a rodent's hind quarters.  It's your life, your choices.  It is, however,  rather disingenuous to come to a running community and try to argue against running a lot.  I certainly see no point in my going to a tennis site and arguing against playing a lot of tennis and practicing my serves.  But hey, you are open to your opinion, much as most here may disagree with it.  Just have an open mind, and be prepared to hear the other side.

Purdey

Self anointed title

{great return of serve from the Scout}

15-0

jeffdonahue

My personal experience is that it is not so much the "weekly mileage" that counts, but your "total mileage".

Myself for example.  I used to be like you.  For 4-5 years, I ran pretty consistently between 10-20 miles per week.  I did a few marathons, and 5Ks.  Each year, my 5K time may or may not have gotten a bit faster because my base was a little bigger.  My marathon times never improved (sorry, I wasnt running any halfs so cant really say on those).

Two years ago, I hired an online coach who ramped me up to 35-40 miles a week.  For that first year I ran between 35-50 miles a week, with a good 2-3 month period where I ran 200 mile months consistently.  Also, in that year, I dropped like 2 minutes off my 5K and ran PRs in every other distance (including dropping almost 20 minutes off my half marathon time and 48 minutes off my marathon time).

So while it is the weekly mileage that adds up to yearly mileage that adds up to your total volume mileage, I think it is this total base over monhts and years that really makes the difference.

I too am working on getting the mileage up to 60-70 this year, but I do tend to have injuries when I get up that high for some reason.

Best of luck

Jeff

...I know people who run 2 to 3 times as much as me, yet they are running 9-10 minute pace.  What is the real benefit of running 30, 40, or 50+ miles when training for a half marathon?  Is it about preventing cramps and fatigue, or about increasing pace?   Why do some people who run so much never improve their times?  Whats more important, pushing yourself to run faster paces or the amount of miles (quantity vs. quality)?

I see some people are very genuin and nice.  I may not; but I'm not being hostile, I'm just being direct.  I really didn't get what you were trying to ask.  But the way you came out like phrases above, you only came out as an arrogant SOB, trying to show off your suprimacy over people who run 10-minute pace.  So, like I said, if that is your objective, be careful; there are many here who run 2 or 3 times as much as you do and do their long run on weekend much faster than your 5k race pace.

I've come across many dudes who always say something like "Oh, my passion is basketball and I don't give a damn about running but, if I train, I can easily run a 4-hour marathon..."  I have yet to come across any of them actually do that.  So if your goal is to feel good about training so little and can run a little bit faster than the slowest bunch who train a heck of a lot harder than you; well, good for you but I'd suggest you just keep it to yourself.  If you really want to learn, I'd suggest you do your homework and sit back and listen to those who run 10-minute pace but train diligently.

...I don't have time to run as much as whats often recommened.  Basically I don't run easy runs just to add up my weekly mileage count.  Every run I do has a purpose.  I'm either working on speed, getting used to longer distance, or working on hills.  Every run is going to push my limits in intensity in some way. 

I was actually surprised that you have a family (unless you meant your parents).  I thought you were a high school kid who watched "Without Limits" one too many time and think it's so cool to just push, push, push.  No pain, no gain.  Push till you puke...

Once again, let me repeat it for you.  Do your homework; read some physiological and historical background of training.  And listen to those who run 10-minute pace--they may be a tad slower than you; but they understand training, it so obviously clear from your comments, hell of a lot better than you do.

First my personal testimonial:  In early 2009 I decided to start a progression to a larger base of almost totally easy mileage.  By Fall I was in the neighborhood of 40mpw, run in a nice spread throughout the week.  I PRed in the 5K three times in a row, the half marathon twice in three weeks and had a <40/PR in the 10K.  I crushed times that I had achieved doing lower mileage with more speed work.

Okay, having established my personal bias: Races, even 5Ks, are essentially endurance events.  We can all run faster than we do in any race, but we can't maintain that speed for 3.1, 6.2 or 26.2 miles.  When running more mileage, the body makes a lot of adaptations that favor greater endurance.  The ability of the body to deliver oxygen where it's needed improves, the heart gets stronger, capillaries grow, etc.  The ability to store and metabolize glycogen improves, providing quicker, more enduring fuel.  This all comes with mileage run at just about any pace.  As endurance improves, we can run faster for longer distances.

So why run slow?  Well the big reasons are to avoid injury and burnout.  Running hard pounds your legs more and tires your muscles out more.  Any gains that may be made by doing so much speed are outweighed by the problems it can cause.  A couple of hard workouts per week will balance the whole risk:benefit ratio better than all hard efforts.  There is also a school of thought that certain adaptations will only take place at an easier effort (lower heart rate, more specifically)... I don't really know the science behind that so I can't speak to it or vouch for it, but it is worth looking into if you're curious.

If you have iTunes, check out the "Brainstuff" podcast from howstuffworks.com.  There was a recent episode entitled "Why can't a couch potato run a marathon?" that gets into the physiological changes that come from increased activity.

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Feeling the growl again

A number of years ago I was getting my packet and waiting around at a HM in Ohio.  My buddy and I struck up conversation with another guy there.  He asked us what our goals were and we both said sub-1:12, which got a bit of an eye pop out of him.  He started to tell us about his training....3-4 days per week, went out and ran as hard as he could each run but every year he came back to this race and ran within 30sec of the same time.  He was very frustrated.

We explained to him that he needed to a) slow down most days, and b) run more.  We gave him a 15min download of basic training concepts...run as many days as you can, focus on good workouts but run easy all other runs, every run has a purpose and sometimes that's to recover and consolidate gains.  Not all training that makes you fast is fast training.

The next year we were back at the same race and I ran into the same guy after the finish of the race.   He was very excited and brought up our conversation from the previous year and how he had heard what we were saying and re-evaluated his training.  After a year of putting it into practice he'd more than doubled his mileage and taken 20min off his HM PR that day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills