Why does weekly mileage matter so much? (Read 3293 times)

The King of Beasts

Well not too many people in this thread are capable of being argumentative without throwing in some personal attacks. 

is your real name Nancy ??

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

jpdeaux

Why do I have to go to college for four years? Why does it have to take so, so long? Why can't I just get all the test questions ahead of time? Why can't I just get the time to find the exact answers to those specific questions, rather than wasting my time with fluff learning, trial and error, testing, failure, and random filler that I believe has nothing to do with answering these specific questions? In other words, why can't someone just tell me all the important things I need to memorize to pass my tests and get my diploma? Hey, why not just give me the tests and let me look up the answers on the internet? Why all this unnecessary work? I've learned all I need to know already. Who cares about maturity, wisdom, learning, and work? I'm too busy. Just tell me exactly what I want to hear, then give me my diploma. Damn it.

mta: Man, do you people type fast!

Feeling the growl again

Why do I have to go to college for four years? Why does it have to take so, so long? Why can't I just get all the test questions ahead of time? Why can't I just get the time to find the exact answers to those specific questions, rather than wasting my time with fluff learning, trial and error, testing, failure, and random filler that I believe has nothing to do with answering these specific questions? In other words, why can't someone just tell me all the important things I need to memorize to pass my tests and get my diploma? Hey, why not just give me the tests and let me look up the answers on the internet? Why all this unnecessary work? I've learned all I need to know already. Who cares about maturity, wisdom, learning, and work? I'm too busy. Just tell me exactly what I want to hear, then give me my diploma. Damn it.

POD

Taking odds that Ace won't be back on this thread....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

grinch031

xor

Who woulda thought...I was actually willing to put in about 7 1/2 years of my life to earn BS and MS degrees.

That's what you got out of that?

R E L A X

It's gonna be alright.

xor

If you don't want a popsicle, how about a beer?

Grab a brew.  Don't cost nothin.

grinch031

Feeling the growl again

Who woulda thought...I was actually willing to put in about 7 1/2 years of my life to earn BS and MS degrees.

For the umpteenth time in this thread, the meaning went right over your head.

I need a popsicle.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Ok you're right, I did take your advice the wrong way.  It pushes my buttons when people tell me to hire a coach, because if I had the means to hire a coach, it would have already happened.

But I do disagree on one point here.  This is far from a friendly forum.  Some posters are friendly, but they are overshadowed by the many unfriendly posters who like to bully others when they sense a vulnerability, such as the case of my posting a thread questioning what is accepted as common knowledge.   Its perfect bait for the trolls and know-it-alls to come out.

Nobby got a little impatient with you because you refused to even try and understand what he was saying.  The bullying, unfriendliness, and immaturity are all you in this thread.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

grinch031

JimR

Let's look at your initlal post and see what's up.

"So I've run 2 halves and a full in the past 2 1/2 years.  I have my next half coming up in a week.  Anyways I can run a mile in about 6:15, a 5K at about 7:00/mile, a 10K in about 7:20/mile, and my goal is to run the half at about 7:30/mile.  So far I've run a 14 miler at 7:45/mile in training last week, and ran an 11 miler at just over 7:30."

- sounds fine to me, it's just info

"Anyways in my first half, I trained for about 5 weeks and finished at a little over 1:44 (7:56/mile).  When I run, I always push myself and attempt to run at the fastest pace I can handle for the distance.  The problem is that I usually under train and don't quite meet my goals.  In my previous training runs, I only averaged about 15 miles per week.  For this one coming up, I've been running between 25-30 miles per week."

- so you recognize that you need to adjust your training and making some attempt to do that...no problem.

"Anyways I always hear about the weekly mileage, but I know people who run 2 to 3 times as much as me, yet they are running 9-10 minute pace.  What is the real benefit of running 30, 40, or 50+ miles when training for a half marathon?  Is it about preventing cramps and fatigue, or about increasing pace?   Why do some people who run so much never improve their times?  Whats more important, pushing yourself to run faster paces or the amount of miles (quantity vs. quality)?"

- well, it started off legitimate enough but this is likely what sparked nobby's response.  For starters, you kind of imply that those people running '9-10 minute pace' are wasting their time because they're running more than you but not as fast as you.  Not sure if you can understand it, but comparing your results against anyone else's generally comes across as boastful.  Second, while you asked a couple of reasonable questions (what's the benefit of running more, is it to prevent cramping, fatigue?...etc.), the last 2 are clearly strawmen (Why do some people who run so much never improve their times?  Whats more important, pushing yourself to run faster paces or the amount of miles (quantity vs. quality)?).  Injecting a strawman into your post (people running a lot but not improving their times) is going to be met with a negative response.  And, any post that argues quality vs. quantity is going to either polarize the responses or else get a vivid explanation that it's not quality vs. quantity at all...training should be both.

hope that helps

Explain to me how the meaning went right over my head.

First, please answer A1's question.  That's my sister's name, too, you know.

MTA: And why is my post so big? I dunno. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

grinch031

xor

Ok you're right, I did take your advice the wrong way.  It pushes my buttons when people tell me to hire a coach, because if I had the means to hire a coach, it would have already happened.

But I do disagree on one point here.  This is far from a friendly forum.  Some posters are friendly, but they are overshadowed by the many unfriendly posters who like to bully others when they sense a vulnerability, such as the case of my posting a thread questioning what is accepted as common knowledge.   Its perfect bait for the trolls and know-it-alls to come out.

This was a weird thread and I apologize for my participation in the meanness.  That said, my sincere recommendation to you: OWN YOUR POSTS AND YOUR TONE.

This thread didn't go sideways because you posted a thread questioning common knowledge.  It went sideways, in large part (but not in total, I agree), because of stuff YOU said and how you reacted.

We really are nice, though not always nice.  This includes me.

If you DID have the means to hire a real-life coach, you would likely find that this real-life person is not always nice either.  Sometimes that's what it takes to get through to a person.  And sometimes people are having a bad day, etc.

But if you think this is an unfriendly forum, go post your question on letsrun.com and participate there the way you have participated here.

Best of luck with your running.  In the end, it is just running.  We all have to prioritize our lives, and we all ask "what if?" when it comes to running, or this, or that, or etc...