A duh moment on how to eat better (Read 1044 times)

finney

Resident pinniped

One of my profs, a few other students, and I were chatting about this and I thought I'd share it with everyone. One girl was talking about how she wanted to start eating better but she never craved healthy foods when she was hungry. My prof said "Of course you don't, because you don't EAT healthy foods when you're hungry, you're reinforcing bad eating habits". It was a total lightbulb moment. If all you eat is say, burgers and fries when you're hungry, your body will say "I'm hungry, please give me some burgers and fries" not "I'm hungry, give me a chicken ceasar salad". Satisfying hunger is positive reinforcement. So if you're hungry and you consciously reach for yogurt instead of chips (even if you REALLY want chips) when you want to snack, satisfying your hunger with yogurt will become a positive experience, so you'll want to do it again. It takes a while but it does work. I used to eat pretty badly myself, I had a lot of unhealthy habits. I ate too much fast food and when I made an effort to get healthier, I ate less fast food. Now even if I'm in a hurry and need to dash in someplace, it's Subway or Cousins instead of Hardees. I don't even think about burger places anymore and I rarely crave that stuff. Once every few months I'll get a taste for a Big Mac and of course I get one because 3 Big Macs a year isnt' going to kill you. It's just so simple it should be obvious...eat good things and you'll want good things. Healthy food won't be a "punishment" anymore.
      not "I'm hungry, give me a chicken ceasar salad" That's a funny healthy food choice!

Supa Dupa Fly

You know what has oddly worked well for me? I stopped buying groceries. My freinds tell me I have a serial killer's refrigerator -- there's nothing but brita water and condiments. I don't have a bit of food in my apartment. I found that if I did, I'd continually eat while at home. I even tried buying only cereal and i'd finish the box of cereal in 2 days because I'd eat bowl after bowl at nite. This probably works decent for me since I'm single...and I hate to cook (especially for one). I will admit that I don't eat the healthiest a lot of days because I'm constantly eating out...but i'm eating significantly less compared to when my kitchen was stocked with food. i've lost about 10 pounds while maintaining muscle..so the combination of eating less (even if not the healthiest) and working out more has thinned out my waist some. Perhaps some day i'll develop self-control. Sleepy
        ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Finney, While I don't disagree with what you are saying, I still think that sometimes there is this overwhelming urge to eat something completely unhealthy. For me, I have a few things that just overpower me sometimes, even though I normally eat healthy. While I most of the time crave the good things I already have around, sometimes that just doesn't do the trick and I need the most unhealthy food I can find.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I think what you are saying makes sense... Today though I actually craved mostly healthy foods-a whole wheat tortilla with tomato/avocado/cheddar, it was tasty! That being said I was also craving "Back to Nature" brand chocolate sandwich cookies with a tall glass of milk! I had it all!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Finney, While I don't disagree with what you are saying, I still think that sometimes there is this overwhelming urge to eat something completely unhealthy. For me, I have a few things that just overpower me sometimes, even though I normally eat healthy. While I most of the time crave the good things I already have around, sometimes that just doesn't do the trick and I need the most unhealthy food I can find.
              I hear that. My thing is...if it's in the house, I'll eat it. So if we don't buy bad stuff I have no choice but to eat good stuff--though it IS possible to still eat too much of healthy foods (which is why I still battle the bulge). Everything in moderation (much easier said than done, I have found). But if I have healthy and unhealthy foods around...9 times out of 10 I will choose what tastes good, is high cal, and is lacking in nutrients. I'm a junk food junkie at heart. I have to force myself to eat vegetables...always have. My family always ate healthy when I was growing up (things like soda, sugared cereals, cookies, chips/snacks, and desserts were rare treats) and the nearest fast food restaurants were 45 minutes away, but it's like I'm wired to prefer the bad stuff.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

finney

Resident pinniped

Oh completely! That's why I indulge in a Big Mac when I crave one. You can't be good all the time. And I know chicken caesar salad is an odd healthy food choice but it was all I could come up with at the moment. Shy
                  I gotta chime in and say that I've been eating the South Beach way for awhile. It's true that once you stop eating the bad crappy carbs and detox your body from all the white processed junk, you stop craving them. When I do blow it and make a bad food choice, it just spirals down from there with more cravings. If I keep it to whole grains, veggies and protein, that's all I want and need.

Junior Amphibian

Prepare your own food at home instead of buying ready-to-eat or a take-out. This way, it takes longer to satisfy your hunger and it's more of an effort, but if you're lazy, you're going to eat much less than usual.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I totally agree on keeping the bad stuff out of the house. I don't even keep pop in the house. If I want pop, I make myself walk (not drive) to the Casey's down the block for a bottle or two. I find that if it isn't worth the walk than it isn't worth drinking! As a result, I drink very little pop. We have a fridge of it at my office (for free even!) and I don't drink it because it is Coke. If I want Pepsi, I have to go to the basement and pay for it. Oftentimes I find I'd rather save the $$ then drink the pop. But if it was around, I know I'd drink it. Same thing with junk food. If I'm not willing to do a little work for it, it obviously isn't worth it!

TRUST THE PROCESS

I tried the "if I only keep healthy food..." routine. I dove headlong into a box of Kashi 7-grain crackers and Hummus. Roll eyes I just need to keep repeating: "just because you run, it doesn't give you the right to eat everything in sight". TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

I tried the "if I only keep healthy food..." routine. I dove headlong into a box of Kashi 7-grain crackers and Hummus. Roll eyes I just need to keep repeating: "just because you run, it doesn't give you the right to eat everything in sight". TC
                          The NoS diet has worked to help me control snacky cravings. It's not magical or easy, but it's just enough of a framework around what you know you should be doing anyway to help me stick to it (most of the time).
                          Brandon