Advice on running shoes (Read 633 times)

dsen

Well, I was going to buy some running shoes today at Sports Authority when i realised i don't know much about running shoes since i always use to buy shoes that were comfortable and cheap. I was thinking about buying Asics Cumulus 9 because a friend of mine told me i am some-what flatfooted and Asics are the best for that, but then someone else told me to get some trail shoes since I'd be training on trails mostly for xc and track for highschool. So, my dilemma here is, what shoes are would be better-trails or running? I'm not planning on getting spikes, though i probably shoould. So can anyone give me their feedback on the Asics cumulus 9 or any other shoe that would be good for a "some-what flat footer"? I know its basically preference in the area of buying shoes but, I'd feel alot better if i had a general idea of what im looking for. thanks

Prophet!

i'm a flat and wide-footed with natural gait...Asics Cumulus so far has been the shoes for me, i've been wearing cumulus 8s for a year, gone through three of them without any problems. I recently bought Cumulus 9, had to go up half a size and the fit isn't as wide as the 8s. But the 9s are much lighter. Great shoes as long as you don't need support. Might want to get your running gait checked though as flat-footers tend to pronate and thus needing more stability (Cumulus is cushioning for neutral runners)...i happen to be one of those few weird ones who have wide feet but need no stability... good luck!
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't know about your specific model, but Road Runner Sports has a decent guide for shoes based on your foot type (best determined by walking barefoot on wet concrete and observing the mark you leave behind). I think for a HS runner, regular trainers will make more sense than trail shoes. If you're running XC and/or track, you should get a pair of spikes. They make a huge difference, especially in XC on a muddy course. Go for the kind that has a fully rubberized sole, as opposed to a plastic plate on the forefoot. Reason being that the shoe can be word as a racing flat without spikes if you run road races or run on courses where you have to cross a lot of concrete.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

TRIAL and ERROR? or seek the advice from a local "running store". But I have seen a lot of advice from trail-runners saying road shoes work well as long as trail conditions are good. IF me, I'd wear some worn down road shoes.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

TRIAL and ERROR? or seek the advice from a local "running store".
            Yeah, definitely go to a good running store as opposed to a chain like Sports Authority. You will get much better, more knowledgeable service.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Eryn

Go to a running store in your area. http://maps.google.com/ if you don't know of any. Tell the lovely people there your situation, get them to look at your feet, watch you run, look at the wear pattern on your old running shoes (if you have any) and get fitted properly to avoid injury down the line. Presto. They will tell you what kind of shoe you need and get you set up. Mention you are doing track and xc, and they generally give you a discount! Smile

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

dsen

ok cool and thanks. ill check out a running store. and ill take your advice on spikes. thanks alot.