Some things I have learned over the last 33 yrs of running (68,635 miles) (Read 1357 times)

Several yrs ago I started posting on Cool Running. Came over to RunningAhead but haven't posted much in the last yr or so. I share these insights for newbies as well as oldies. Nothing earth shaking, but stuff that has worked for me as well as countless others I have coached over the years. My Mantra: Start off EZ--then back off. I want you to be lifetime runners. Not flashes in the pan. Walking is authorized. Rest days mandatory. Make running your play. Please, don't take yourself --or your running-- too seriously. It gets easier as you get older. I am soon to be 66 and ran more miles last year than I had since 1984.(Also qualified for Boston). I do run slower than I did 20-30 yrs ago ,but love it just as much. Be thankful that you can walk/slog--slow jogging/run. A body in motion will tend to stay in motion. Run for fitness, eat for weight loss. If you stay active and take your time the weight will come off. Don't expect 10+ yrs(or less) of sedentary living to be expunged in a month or two. Set a goal to run for the rest of your life. Not to run a 5K 2 months from now. By slowing down you will get faster. Sounds absurd doesn't it? If you decide to be a lifetime runer--what is the hurry? Hydration is important. Water works great. Before--during and after--especially as you build your miles and temps increase. Did I mention rest days? They are so importantTonguehysically and mentally. Learn to walk more--wherever you go. We got a dog 4 yrs ago and I walk her (and run her sometimes) several x a day--at least 6-8 miles a week/more if we run. My running has improved --I think due to increasing my walking. Did I menttion it is OK to run a little and walk a little. Less risk of injury/it is easier/you will enjoy it more and will get "addicted". Don't be hard on yourself. You do that enough. When you are out to play. Sing/smile. Make it joyful. Geez I can ramble. You may think it a sign of my aging--but my wife of 45 yrs would attest that I rambled when we met about 50 yrs ago. Remember, there is no finish line. Thanks for letting me share. I won't be far away. Nick. Wink
      Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I am a 70 yr. old wannabee who started last summer. Everything you say rings a bell, and you have verified my thinking and planning. Even to the walk the dog part. I started because one daughter, Econo, was having all the fun. and I wanted a piece of the action. . I am doing the C25K now. On the 3rd week, but for the 2nd time. Thought my lower legs needed another week on that 3rd week. If you happen to read my log, and have any comments, please advise. I am not very good at entering the times, duration, style, etc., but am learning. Yep - lots of fun, and better than knitting. Thanks again, Long Run Nick Woods Lady

You'll ruin your knees!

Good stuff Nick... don't stay gone so long!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Think Whirled Peas

Nice to see you 'round, LRN. My favorite part is simply this, "Remember, there is no finish line." Good stuff!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Laura Ann

Thanks, Nick. I needed to hear that. I've been going all out trying to get "back into shape" and the old plantar fasciitis is already threatening to flare up. A great reminder that I run first and foremost because I love the way it feels to be out on a run, not to make a certain time in a race.

The Running Mom

Thank you, Nick, I was just trying to talk myself up about tomorrow morning's run. I was looking at it as a chore, but you made me see it as a joy. I've been feeling discouraged about my pace, but it's not really about that at all.
              Monica My Blog

jfa

Thanks Again Nick! There's a ton of Great advice here from veteran RA 'ers that we didn't really have access to back in the CR days. You and a very few others (Figbash , Iontech et all) kept a lot of us noobs on the right path. It's fantastic to see you here and Good Luck with your running goals!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thanks Nick! As newbie who started running the end of July 08 I've learned the hard way about sloggins or wogging as I call it. I completed the c25k program and tried to extend running time a little to fast and developed ITB and hamstring issues in right leg. I've since switched to Gallo-walking (Jeff Galloway's approach) and have found my overall pace increasing even with the walk breaks! I hope to continue running until they throw dirt in my face! btw: I finished a 10k the end of Feb, 50 weeks from a blessed heart attack - in the ER, best place to have one! Learned that family history trumps normal cholesterol! Plus it got me running in order to increase the good HDL cholesterol. Little did I know how much I would love it! Oh, I turned 62 in Oct 08.

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Beginner all over again

My Mantra: Start off EZ--then back off.
                    I like that. My goal is to Under-Achieve. Wink Keeps me off the sidelines.

Queen of 3rd Place

Nick - I gotta say, I would have hung it up a couple years ago if you hadn't given me "permission" to slow it down. Now running is a fun part of my life instead of an overly goal-oriented chore. Arla

Ex runner

Kenotic Runner

This thread reminds me why I love to run. A few more I like: See the sun set. See the sun rise. Watch the seasons change. Breathe. Be one with yourself. Enjoy God.
                          Nick -- these are some very good words and i really appreciate guys like you putting running i perspective. I wish I had taken this advice in my 30's, cause had I done so I wouldn't have missed out on about 20 to 23 years of running (injury after injury)........basically from violating your principles... Last year at 55 I started again and am running pretty much like you stated and having great results and enjoying it a lot.........I focus on doing the miles and enjoying it......and I do a lot of walking with my runs (jeff galloway style) and it has made a real difference......Have run over a year without injury -- getting stronger and likng running more then I did ever before... NICE POST NICK.... AND WOODS LADY ---- I'm seriously impressed that you started running in your 70's........that's really fantastic.........Keep it up. Woods Lady, you are a long way from being a wannabe..... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Good words and good advice.

Are we there yet?

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I took my first day off today in a long time. Bless your heart, you made me feel good about it.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'