The Barkley Marathons documentary on Netflix...check it out (Read 272 times)

BeeRunB

Just finished the documentary, The Barkley Marathons, on Netflix. The film is very good.  Some say the Barkley is the toughest ultra in the world. Sure looks tough. The creators of the race are real characters. Tells a good story. Great soundtrack. Really enjoyed it. Check it out. 

Kalsarikännit

toughest ultra in the world.

There is something horrifying about this title, only because it is usually associated with all of the hyperbole and b.s. that goes with Badwater and other races of that sort. Barkley just is what it is.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c1018b8f6216453bbbadefea10f82108/0

It is absolutely fascinating, and I love that despite the attention that it is starting to get, it is very low key from within. I watched the movie with Trent two weeks ago, and am glad that I got to see it. Laz is diabolical and utterly endearing.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Christrickery

It's also on Amazon for rent. Highly entertaining--even the non-runners in my house enjoyed it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, in the movie, the RD himself says that is an impossible metric to measure.

toughest ultra in the world.

Joann Y

Watched it over the last two nights and I thought it was just great.

Good stuff, my 15 year son watched most of it with me. Frozen Head is now on the destination list.

Get off my porch

BeeRunB

Though some say it, I can't say it's the toughest. But I don't think it's hyperbole to call it one of the toughest when only 1.5% of those who have ever started the race since 1985 have finished. I just love the attitude, personality, and creativity of the race director. Only race I can think of that starts when the RD lights a cigarette then proceeds to smoke it.

How fun is it that they have to go run through a tunnel beneath the prison? 

There is something horrifying about this title, only because it is usually associated with all of the hyperbole and b.s. that goes with Badwater and other races of that sort. Barkley just is what it is.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c1018b8f6216453bbbadefea10f82108/0

It is absolutely fascinating, and I love that despite the attention that it is starting to get, it is very low key from within. I watched the movie with Trent two weeks ago, and am glad that I got to see it. Laz is diabolical and utterly endearing.

Kalsarikännit

I just love the attitude, personality, and creativity of the race director. 

Years ago, he looked at me a few days into a race and said, "I know women who are alive who don't look half as good".  This is probably the funniest thing anyone has ever said to me during a race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

mikeymike

a few days into a race

Fecking whack job.

Runners run

BigGahoona

Yay! Just added this to my queue. Can't wait to watch it, thanks for the heads up!

runnershawn

Great movie and 100 percent sure I would not find the first page alone.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1

Just finished the documentary, The Barkley Marathons, on Netflix. The film is very good.  Some say the Barkley is the toughest ultra in the world. Sure looks tough. The creators of the race are real characters. Tells a good story. Great soundtrack. Really enjoyed it. Check it out. 

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

What a crazy ass race! Wow!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

mikeymike

I watched this last night. It's just great.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Laz sent this out last night -

I suppose I am really obligated to write this post....

the volume of mail and other activity about the barkley has really been something phenomenal of late.

and one theme that keeps coming up is people's intention to come and "watch" the barkley.... the big barkley.

i have tried to answer each of these individually,
                                but, i am sure there are others who have not confided this intention to me.

while i hate to think of being rude, or seeming unwelcoming, it is probably better to explain the situation now, rather than see a lot of people disappointed and wasting a lot of time and expense making a useless trip to frozen head.

the barkley is not well suited to being a spectator event.
                                there is not a lot to see, as the runners spend most of their time alone in the woods.

when they are in camp, they will be fully occupied in preparing to return to the woods.

they will not probably be inclined towards entertaining guests.

and then there is the issue of the campground itself.
                                there are 40 runners, their crews, and the handful of race personnel to be accommodated...

and there are only 26 campsites and a single bathhouse.
                                the campsites have been 100% reserved for the weekend, meaning there will be no place available to stay for additional people.

the bottom line is, that i want to discourage people from making a special trip to see the race, as the venue is already at capacity.
                                it will be a great disappointment.

thank you for your understanding;

laz