<None> not a course option on New Run Entry (Read 614 times)

Hey Eric, minor bug... was creating an entry for some track work I did this morning and was forced to select a course. I wound up creating a 0 distance map and using that, but then went to create a cycling entry for my warmup and cooldown and saw that there was a <none> selection on that list. Not sure if it was an oversight in an update or what, but wanted to bring it to your attention. Not a big deal since the workaround is so simple. EDIT: crap! didn't realize the forum software would pick that up and see it as an HTML command in the subject</none>
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
    http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
    eric :)

Hi John, The behavior is by design, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily correct. The running entry page is a bit more restrictive than all the other workouts. Up until recently, you have to enter both a distance and duration. It also want a course and a pair of shoes, while other workouts do not. By requriing these fields, the log can generate better statistics for you. Let's open this up for general discussion. What do others think? I could create a default "Random Route", which effectively loosen the restriction. Perhaps the workout is simple enough that the default route is not necessary? eric Smile
        "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" eh? Big grin Ok, if that's the case and it's necessary for better reporting, it's something that I can live with. As I said, the workaround I came up with was pretty simple and now anytime I don't have a specific route, but have distance, I'll just use my 0mile course. I'd be interested to hear what others think though. Thanks again Eric for the great site!
        The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
        http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That was one of the first things I noticed. The workaround is in fact very simple, but I wonder why we should each need to work around this feature when there is a common desire to document a run without specifying the route. I like the idea of "random route".
          edcote

I just noticed this, would it be possible to have "Random Route" selected as the *default* option in the combo box. Right now, every time I create a new run entry the top most course is selected.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Evil grin Here's how to trick the system... Rename "Random Route" as "1 Random Route" and it'll show up on top! The site sorts the course names by number first... which makes it easy to have it sort your courses if you label them with the distance first (eg "3 mile loop", "4.5 mile with big hill", "2 mile quick jog" and so on). Hope that helps! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...