New member from Georgia (Read 78 times)

Pop

Slow n' easy

Greetings.  I stumbled on the site looking for some Maffetone information:

I am in week three of Maffetone training - I'm a 58+ year-old runner who has been running since I turned 50 - One marathon, and I can't remember the number half, 10 and 5Ks - PR 5K 22:20 - Half 2:02,  10 51:00, and my only marathon 4:45 -- I've backed off in the past couple of years, and now am experimenting with the Maffetone method -- First two weeks have been interesting (Evidently I either never had a good aerobic base, or, lost it)

When I try to stay under my 122 HR I pretty much have to walk - So - When I'm used to running a training run in the low to mid 9's, doing 15's and 16's is definitely humbling -- But, I'm going to give it some time to see if, in fact, the method will help me build (or maybe rebuild) a decent aerobic base before trying to get back to more intense running...

I guess time will tell...

Well...let us know when you start running!

I'm not familiar with Maffetone training, but I've just had a quick look at the internet, and can see about the aerobic limit. Are you really restricting yourself to that? Does not the occasional anaerobic burst help you raise the aerobic limit? And how did you feel before you started Maffetone? Unfit? or OK? I don't think I'd have the patience to 'run' at 15 minutes/mile. How long will it be before you're getting both feet off the ground, do you think?

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

Pop

Slow n' easy

Well...let us know when you start running!

I'm not familiar with Maffetone training, but I've just had a quick look at the internet, and can see about the aerobic limit. Are you really restricting yourself to that? Does not the occasional anaerobic burst help you raise the aerobic limit? And how did you feel before you started Maffetone? Unfit? or OK? I don't think I'd have the patience to 'run' at 15 minutes/mile. How long will it be before you're getting both feet off the ground, do you think?

Not sure - I'm going to give at least 8 weeks, but everything I read talks of longer time (I have Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance) -- I've had many days of good, hard running in the past 8+years, so I think I can stay patient (that's a virtue of aging I suppose).  I'm burning fat, loosing weight, and seeing the actual fat come off my body - So, I guess, at least for a while, whether I'm moving at a 9 minute pace or a 15 minute pace - I'm still moving and enjoying the fitness-rewards -- And when the weather warms just a little, I'll be able to enjoy a lot of my old routs (both road and trail) all around me here in Georgia.

Damn son, it's like 50 degrees down there, enjoy the cool weather while it lasts. Besides, pretty soon it'll be too hot to run.

Pop

Slow n' easy

Damn son, it's like 50 degrees down there, enjoy the cool weather while it lasts. Besides, pretty soon it'll be too hot to run.

It can't get too hot for us southern boys, but anything below 50 is like winter

npaden

You may want to check out some of the user group forums.  There is a general low heart rate forum and a specific Maffetone forum.  Lots of good info on both I'm sure.

Just based on your 5k PR compared to your half and full times I would say that you could probably benefit from some aerobic base building.  The specific Maffetone group is going to follow his teachings to the letter, but the Low HR group might be a little bit more free thinking.

15:00 - 16:00 pace sounds a little extreme for someone with your times though, you might benefit from finding your personal maximum HR and working off that rather than the standard age based formula IMO.

Good luck.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)