Can a runner be a soccer player? (Read 2009 times)

I have been *trying* to play soccer for a few weeks now, just a fun pickup game with kids and adults on the weekends, but every time I do, my quads and groin muscles just scream at me, either during or after the game. I try to play easy, but I've found that's just not in my competitive personality's repertoire! I treasure my ability to run above all else, so I've dropped out a few times in order to keep myself from ripping apart, but does anyone know of a way to keep demanding team sports on the same calendar as running? I imagine it's the same with basketball, hockey, and other fast/agility games. I want to do both!
    1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe you need to do more cross-training to strengthen those upper leg muscles. I highly recommend any of Cathe Friedrich's DVDs (Muscle Max and Kick Max might be good ones for those legs. I'm looking to buy her Supersets/Push Pull DVD soon, too)--that girl will make you HURT! My hubby is afraid of her. I think she probably has more muscle on her frame than he does.... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I play soccer every summer just for fun, too and I would try to run after my games. Although that wasn't the best idea, I had leg soreness like you. I found that two things helped me: Properly warming up before (stretching and running a few laps before the start) and taking a nice, hot bath with epsom salt and baking soda. I never thought about the first because like you I was going to play it "easy" and the second really helps sore muscles. Smile
        Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I love soccer (futbol), but my skillz ain't as great as my passion for the game so I was relegated to being a defender. Although both involve running, soccer is more demanding than running, mostly because there are a lot of lateral movements requiring muscles you never use when running. For the first few games of at the beginning of every season, different parts of my legs would scream at me too because I haven't worked them since the last season. The soreness will go away as you (re)develop those muscles so I wouldn't worry too much about that. What you should focus on is protecting yourself against sprained ankles and torn ACLs. My ankles are weak so I would tape them up before a game. Shin guards are a must, mostly because they make me look like a real soccer player (yeah I'm a poser). There's nothing much you can do to protect again the ACL other than not doing too many hard turns until your legs are strong enough to hold your knee together.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love soccer (futbol), but my skillz ain't as great as my passion for the game so I was relegated to being a defender.
            Hmph! Some of us CHOSE that position! Wink k--still more of a sprinter than a distance runner...respect the ginormous thighs! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

k--still more of a sprinter than a distance runner...respect the ginormous thighs! Big grin
              Amen!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, when I used to play in a Summer league I was always fullback. It got kind of boring, since we had a really great line of forwards. When the ball would end up back by us my tactic was mainly to run as hard and fast into the guy (I was often the only girl on the field--which was pretty fun) with the ball as possible and kick the ball to one of our midfielders. Sometimes having short legs and a lower center of gravity is a real plus! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just say no. Runners need knees. Soccer and football playing eats knees. It is just not worth it. Don't do it.
                    Playing soccer is a great workout for middle-to-long distance runners. In fact, it was long believed that one reason (years ago) that the best middle-distance runners were from Europe & Austrialia is because they grew up in countries where playing soccer is the national pasttime. It provided a great foundation for running. Think about the constant stop-and-go (fartleks), speedwork, and endurance you get from playing soccer. Yeah, your quads will get a workout, but that's what you want.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

As long as you don't break your knees. Black eye

Prophet!

plus if you're good no matter how you look you can always score a supermodel
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

True. Just like in running. Right Jake Knight?

Cryptic

I play soccer on Sunday's in a rather competitive Hispanic league. What I found when I first started playing again was I wasn't in nearly good enough shape and wondered if I was going to be able to keep it up. Well about 4 weekends later I was able to play the whole game at full speed. Like anything else it is going to take a while for the muscles you don't use every day not to be mad at you and your lung capacity will catch up rather quickly. The hardest thing for me is the first 15 minutes of my games. During season I tend to do my long runs on Saturday's and it can be rough getting my legs to do what I want them to on Sunday Mornings. So I guess what I am trying to say is just let your body get used to using these new muscles and your lungs used to running at a faster pace for longer periods of time. Before you know it no one will be as fit as you on the field. Towards the end of my last season I would actually run a couple miles after the game as a cool down because I had enough left in the tank. Have fun the rest will come in time.

Cryptic

I would be more worried about the ankles than the knees. At least in my experience ankles are what get torn up all the time. I have only seen two knee injuries in 23 years of playing ball but when its a knee issue is always seems to be the lovely ACL so be careful Big grin
                              Mishka-old log

I'm not sure about a runner being a soccer player, but a soccer player can definitely be a runner. A guy in my HS was on the soccer team and decided to run track his junior and senior year. His development was obscene. Senior year, he was a state champion on the track!