Can a runner be a soccer player? (Read 2009 times)

I PLAY SOCCER!! I love it. When I first started playing I was in major pain. But now I've adjusted. I am not normally an aggressive person but out on that field I find myself keeping up with the men in regard to being serious about the game. I play on an adult coed team and it is a lot of fun. I do find that my left knee hurts pretty much every day (only for one day) after a soccer game, but other than that I don't have any complaints. I like being able to get the chance to use different muscles as needed in soccer. I think I have an advantage of speed against some of the other players, since I love to run. I'm not the best soccer player but I'm very good at getting in the way of the other team! I don't hold back on the field. My kick needs some improvement but it's getting there. I have found that warming up is key. I do about 15 to 20 minutes on the treadmill at home before each game and then some slow easy stretching right before we head out on the field. I'm not a fan of our late night games (this past Monday my game was at 11:18 p.m.). Indoor fields vary with the kinds of turf, the last place I played at I was always dealing with sore feet and aching hips - this new place I'm at I have no issues with in those areas. I started playing soccer to be able to really appreciate what my children go through on the field since they all play soccer. Now I can truly relate.

Michelle

I play soccer too. Hi mom.
        Yeah soccer! I coach a U6 girls team in town and we are currently 1-0. Soccer is awesome and the perfect sport for runners, I would think. I tell ya, I am 36 and I keep four ice bags in my freezer and use them liberally after running, soccer, cross training, etc. Ice is good!
        If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
          I really enjoy soccer. All of my older children play, or have played. This Wed is my very first day of being an assistant coach (for my youngest son's team - U7 boys). My daughter (11) is an awesome soccer player, I am hoping to have half of her talent someday. Smile I've learned the benefit of ice, more so from soccer games than from running. When I first started playing soccer I discovered muscles that haven't been used in years, and they were in serious pain after playing. Now I'm okay with muscle pain from playing soccer. Instead, I have a rolled ankle that I'm still recovering from. It was only a mild sprain but as much as I complained about it (since it was my first ankle injury), you would have thought it was broken! Tonight are the playoffs for the team I play on. In two weeks starts the new session, with a new team. My boss is sponsoring my team, being that I work for a counseling agency our team name is "The Counsel". Should be fun.

Michelle

Yes, soccer is amazing. I started coaching this year and love watching new ideas and skills take root in my players. When a six year old calls out to a teammate, "Pass I am open" it gives one hope for the future. :-) I can relate to your finding new muscles feeling. I run a residence hall at a college and this year I started playing basketball with my guys. Wow, I can run for miles at a time. But 5 minutes up and down the court and I was down a lung and a leg. But, I press on! Good luck in the playoffs!
            If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
              i started out as a soccer player and switched to running fulltime, so yea i see no reason why you cant do both

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I play soccer too. Hi mom.
                This cracks me up! RA is certainly becoming a family place (guess this means I should clean up my language, huh...)! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No need to clean up for Charlie - you should see his Myspace, just kidding, it's not that bad...and here is some BAD parenting, one of his favorite shows is Family Guy. Seriously though, he won't be on often. I was just showing him how I'm tracking his runs on RA now, he just wanted to see what I was doing. My older children all have Myspace accounts so I created one so I could be on their friend's list. They are slowly losing interest in it, which is what I figured would happen. Oh, and I have their passwords, that was the first rule. I go on from time to time to check things out and make sure they are playing by the rules.

Michelle

RunningNorm---- My team lost in the first game, so this session is done and over. Which is how we figured it would be. This was a house team with only three of us who knew each other from outside of soccer, the rest were strangers to us until the first game. The next team is a team we formed, from our friends and fellow soccer players from our kids' soccer organization (parents and coaches). We'll have some really good players this time around. One of the things I love about soccer is being able to run full speed. It is so great being able to run full speed along side a 20 year old and beat her! I did that tonight a few times, it was GREAT. She looked at me like I just stole her thunder. But I didn't care, I was happy, I got to the ball first! Of course my bursitis will be hurting soon *sigh* Getting old stinks!! Big grin I went into soccer thinking along the same lines as you with basketball. I figured that I'm a runner, I can run for miles without stopping, "THIS SHOULD BE EASY". Wow. I learned a lot that first game. First off, I learned that my heart can pound like it really is trying to beat right out of my chest...and when I am on the field they must suck the oxygen out of the building because I felt like I couldn't get any air!! It's not quite so bad anymore, the breathing thing is under control, but the heart thing still gets me every now and then. I'm excited about coaching. I can't wait to see how happy the boys are when they are out there on the field and the ball is going where they want it to go. I'm a little worried about dealing with parents, I know how brutal that can be. I'll be hiding behind the friendly, yet firm, face of the head coach. He's been a coach for years so I'll be shadowing him.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No need to clean up for Charlie - you should see his Myspace, just kidding, it's not that bad...and here is some BAD parenting, one of his favorite shows is Family Guy.
                      He's gonna grow up just fine...a little warped, perhaps, but I don't think there's much wrong with that... Wink My son (6) loves the movie Hellboy (sort of a non-traditional superhero film), and his favorite show is "Pimp My Ride." He's also very fond of "Mythbusters." Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom---- The boy is already a little warped (and he knows it, and is proud!). He's a "skaterat" with the "I want to be a gangsta " attitude- HOWEVER, he doesn't have the look to pull it off. Big grin And, deep down, he's a soft-hearted kid would give the shirt off his own back. Funny....one of his favorite movies IS STILL Hellboy, we have it. Both my older boys like Pimp my Ride, and Mythbusters. Of course just to confuse me my oldest likes the History channel (he also likes Mail Call). My daughter rarely even turns the tv on, she has the right idea.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

He's also very fond of "Mythbusters."
                          Now that's a good thing -- a child actually learning some critical thinking skills. Need more of that IMHO! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

zoom-zoom---- The boy is already a little warped (and he knows it, and is proud!). He's a "skaterat" with the "I want to be a gangsta " attitude- HOWEVER, he doesn't have the look to pull it off. Big grin And, deep down, he's a soft-hearted kid would give the shirt off his own back. Funny....one of his favorite movies IS STILL Hellboy, we have it. Both my older boys like Pimp my Ride, and Mythbusters. Of course just to confuse me my oldest likes the History channel (he also likes Mail Call). My daughter rarely even turns the tv on, she has the right idea.
                            Sounds like my son would fit in great at your house! I wouldn't mind if he became a skaterat, either. Most of those kids are pretty obsessed with their sport, just as we are with running, so they don't have time to get into trouble. Just as long as he always wore a helmet and wrist protection.
                            Now that's a good thing -- a child actually learning some critical thinking skills. Need more of that IMHO! Big grin
                            Like father, like son. did is Mr. Skeptic. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Just so you know....getting hit on the side of your thigh with a soccer ball that was just kicked by an extremely determined 20 year old man (full strength kick, last 10 seconds of the game score 3-3) - WILL FOR A FACT leave a soccer ball shaped welt and bruise. Ouch. I'll take this over a rolled ankle! Roll eyes Next time maybe I'll just step to the side and allow the ball to go by, actually, no I won't.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I took one of those to the broadside of my face years ago...interesting the pattern it left... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay