Can a runner be a soccer player? (Read 2009 times)

Kids just started soccer this past Sunday and I tell you I WANNA PLAY!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ouch! My husband and I were talking about how much it would hurt to get hit directly face on. With the force that this 20 y/o had behind his kick I'm sure it would have broken a nose. Last night there were all sorts of close calls and minor injuries. Rough night for us older soccer players, I bet the younger ones didn't cringe as they got out of bed this morning and took those first few steps.

Michelle

Kids just started soccer this past Sunday and I tell you I WANNA PLAY!
        After the past 7 years of watching the kids play I decided it was my turn. I never played before this past October. Now I'm hooked. We actually played a parents vs. players game yesterday before our scheduled adult coed game. The girls are all age 11 or 12. It was a lot of fun. Only two of the parents (myself and the coach who is on my adult team) have played or play soccer. One of the other moms ended up "popping" something in her calf. She had to get driven home it was so bad. Soccer is definitely a sport that you can't just jump into if you're not in shape, as this mom found out. A few times I went up against my daughter and it was a neat feeling. I was trying my hardest to keep the ball from her and she tried her hardest to keep it from me...The players won 8-7. Pure giggles the whole time. (Yes we let them win)

Michelle

I'm very frustrated at the moment with my never healing ankle from my "rolled ankle" incident. I'm starting to look forward to taking the summer off from soccer, only because it will give me time to heal.

Michelle

During my soccer game tonight I scored my first goal!! It's about time. Everyone cheered for me, it was cool. Blush Big grin

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Goooooooooooooaaaaaaaalllll! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations. I know how awesome that feels.( only scoring once in the time I played)

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

zoom-zoom beat me to my response, so I'll just say AWESOME! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thank you! It all happened so quick. My daughter was there so she got to see it, her soccer coach plays on my team and he yelled over to her "Christina, your mom scored a goal, did you get that on film?!" As to say, she may never do that again. Of course within a few plays I had another chance and I totally missed the net. So my victory was short-lived. *sigh* Oh well.

Michelle

On Monday night my soccer team was short a player so I had my 15 y/o join our team ( I have an extra team jersey, we looked so cute walking out of the house together!). He did great! I was nervous since he hasn't played in over an year, but picked right off where he left off. We versed a team that has two Ursinis College soccer team players (girls), and they were amazingly fast. Anthony was able to keep up with them, it was cool to watch. I was able to keep up with the girls too but they out skilled me in soccer by 1000% My team lost 4-2 and the guys on the team were especially bummed by the loss, it made them feel old. I don't think the other team had a player under 24 years of age. Our oldest player is 47, he played Rugby for 15 years or so, then his wife made him quit, but at least he's allowed to do soccer still. My ankle finally shows no signs of when I rolled it during a game a while back. Hopefully that won't happen again!

Michelle

jcasetnl

I think soccer would be great as a crosstrain sport with running, particularly if you don't like to do upper body stuff, like weights. The sprinting you do in soccer works the upper body more and should help with maintaining form. Lacrosse is also a good for this, and might be a little easier on the knees since both feet stay planted more.
                          i miss soccer so much! and field hockey! i wish i had more friends in town who also love/miss these games-- my pink soccerball is so lonely from non-use this year! i never hurt my knees playing soccer or hockey-- just banged my hip up pretty badly in a fall (crazy girl from monroe township tripped me w/ her hockey stick and ended my senior year season early!). even playing as an older person (my sister and i would send our batcall out and round up former teammates for pick-ups in prospect park a couple of years ago when we were both living out here), there was nothing as invigorating and fun as sprinting back and forth across a field chasing a ball and grunting like wild pigs to get to it before anyone else. we'd all be winded, but fortunately uninjured.
                            I've been a soccer playing runner since I was 4 years old. I still play (if that's what you want to call it) when I get a chance. I work for a college and am good friends with the soccer coach so he is always trying to get me out to play with the men's team. It's always a great time except for the soreness for the next couple of days.
                            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
                              I miss it right now. My team is done until the fall. My ankles are enjoying the break from it though! I miss the speed workouts that I got from each game, being able to run all out like during a game is something that I really enjoy. My daughter starts practice for her team next week, I'm jealous! I'll probably help out with coaching so at least I'll get some time playing. Smile

Michelle

flaherty

i play in fairly serious pick up matches every weekend as well as winter indoor, but i just began running seriously. the only issues i see so far are going up against my long runs in race training.