Can a runner be a soccer player? (Read 2009 times)

i play in fairly serious pick up matches every weekend as well as winter indoor, but i just began running seriously. the only issues i see so far are going up against my long runs in race training.
    I have to admit, the very first thought I had when I rolled my ankle during a soccer game was a panic feeling of "oh no, what did I do? Now I can't run!!"...So, in my moment of pain out there on the soccer field, running was what I thought of. Roll eyes Addicted.

Michelle

I was a soccer (they call it 'football' here) player way way before i was a runner. I play 'street soccer' though, which is played in a small court and on concrete or hardfloor, basically anything that isnt grass. There's only five players per team. Hence, the pace of the game is very fast and you get possession of the ball more often than that of field soccer. You'll need powerful short bursts of speed and great awareness to survive. haha. That's why i have huge thighs that are helpful during intervals but dreadful during long runs Tongue
        I haven't played soccer for a couple of months now and last night I joined in on my daughters 12 y/o team for a mock scrimmage. WELL...I found out that my body does not like outdoor soccer. Indoor soccer is so much easier on the my body. I woke up a little sore and my ankle hurts! I still had fun though. Big grin

Michelle

ONE MORE MONTH UNTIL INDOOR SOCCER!!! I just started getting my team back together. I'm so excited. I've missed playing it over the summer months! Big grin

Michelle

Ouch. My left ankle is NOT enjoying soccer at all. Conflict of interest just two games into this soccer session. I didn't run yesterday, or today (yet) because I slightly rolled my left ankle during the game on Monday. Angry

Michelle

GP160

Michelle, where do you guys play?
              Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                Michelle, where do you guys play?
                Far Post, in Oaks. We get stuck with the late games. Sad Which is not good for a Monday night.

Michelle

Got quite a major knock while in a friendly kickabout among friends and strangers two days ago. It was a 50-50 ball. The other guy and I lunged for it and somehow his knee went into the back of my calf. I fell onto the astroturf like a sack of potatoes. I limped out of the game, and back home too. Recover doesnt look so good. I still feel the pain. Really hope it heals fast. No
                    Got quite a major knock while in a friendly kickabout among friends and strangers two days ago. It was a 50-50 ball. The other guy and I lunged for it and somehow his knee went into the back of my calf. I fell onto the astroturf like a sack of potatoes. I limped out of the game, and back home too. Recover doesnt look so good. I still feel the pain. Really hope it heals fast. No
                    Ouch! How are you feeling now?

Michelle

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Ouch! How are you feeling now?
                      Same question... The good news is that a bruise heals much quicker and with less performance impact than a pull. The bad news is ... it REALLY hurts! Just run on it as pain allows (as in a little pain). It is injured and if you push it hard, you can strain/pull/tear it. Looking at the title to this thread, I'd say soccer ---> running is more successful than the reverse. The big difference is that soccer is not a "straight ahead sport". Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Young Gun

I've played soccer for over 20 years now. However lately it is mostly sporadic. I played 3 solid winters of Indoor Soccer and I must disagree with you Mississippi.. I find it to be HARDER on the body than indoor for sure. Running hard on carpet/turf covering pavement is brutal on your body! Recent studies have shown a 110% increase in injuries of those who play indoor vs. those who play outdoor. However... (to each his own)... Soccer can be an amazing speed workout for running! 8 Ball

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

I've played soccer for over 20 years now. However lately it is mostly sporadic. I played 3 solid winters of Indoor Soccer and I must disagree with you Mississippi.. I find it to be HARDER on the body than indoor for sure. Running hard on carpet/turf covering pavement is brutal on your body! Recent studies have shown a 110% increase in injuries of those who play indoor vs. those who play outdoor. However... (to each his own)... Soccer can be an amazing speed workout for running! 8 Ball
                          I agree that running on turf is not a good thing for the body. The last place I played at I was always in pain after games. The place my team plays at now is fairly new and is known for having a great playing field. I think my ankles are weak and because of that, I have trouble with outdoor soccer due to uneven surfaces. My feet hurt terribly after playing outside. Maybe if I played outside on a regular basis I would gain some strength in my ankles at least and I would not have so much pain with it. Confused MTA: Come to think of it, I manage to roll my ankles during inside soccer too, so perhaps the inside vs. outside thing isn't so much an issue for my ankles.

Michelle

My calf feels much better now. Believe it or not, this is my first injury in 8 years of playing Tongue Just back from a short 3k. Woo first run in 6 days! I had the urge to push myself hard, but I figured I just take it easy so I can really gauge whether my calf has fully healed or not.
                            Soccer can be an amazing speed workout for running! 8 Ball
                            This is absolutely true! I play indoor soccer alot and I can tell you I get so wipe after a measly 10 minutes!! Dead
                              My calf feels much better now. Believe it or not, this is my first injury in 8 years of playing Tongue Just back from a short 3k. Woo first run in 6 days! I had the urge to push myself hard, but I figured I just take it easy so I can really gauge whether my calf has fully healed or not. This is absolutely true! I play indoor soccer alot and I can tell you I get so wipe after a measly 10 minutes!! Dead
                              Glad to hear you are feeling better! It's amazing that you've gone 8 years and have just now had an injury! I agree, 10 minutes of indoor soccer and suddenly I'm looking to the bench for my rotation. So much for the advantage of having run a marathon. Roll eyes

Michelle

At least you don't get teased by your teammates. Being the only one in my team that races and runs, I always get teased whenever I sub myself out because I cannot sustain such high intensity for so long. Tongue