HELP, I have periostitis (shin splints), is killing me, what can i do? (Read 1228 times)

Sweaty

SmileHello everyone, I´m new to this forum, I´m also running new barely 6 months, I have participated in three races, my fastest time 1:02, and I really caught the world of careers, I don´t want to stop is like an addiction so endorfina. Big grin My last race was in November and the pain in my leg is killing me, I know that I need to do exercises in soft soil but it is impossible where I live, there are not many places to run with soft soils. What can I do to improve my m training and pain, there will be any therapy or bandaging assist me when train. Thanks for responding. WinkNENA.
    I don´r suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single moment. L.L

Me and my gang in Breck

Nena, I'm not a doctor but I had terrible shin splints for along time and I can tell you what I did when they were bad. First thing! You shouldn't try and run through the pain if it is real bad. They should heal quickly with rest if it isn't a stress fracture. Motrine is your best friend. It relieves the inflamation. Slow down and run real easy. The hard pounding from fast pace running will give you SS's everytime. Find someplace to run that isn't concrete or pavement. This is the one biggest thing that I did that help's. Have you been to a running store that only sells running equiptment and had someone watch you run and get the shoes that are right for the way you run? Don't give up hope. It took about 18 months of running before they aren't really and issue anymore. Search the internet for more info on shin splints. Their's lots of it out their. Good Luck. Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

I'll second MarkFive's response...It took me several months of running before they were not a problem anymore, and like he said, running hard and fast on hard surfaces will definitely not help... When mine got REAL bad (when I first started running), I would actually wrap my shins with a medical wrap (3-4 bucks at your local grocery store) and even ran with them wrapped a few times... You can do exercises as well, like sit on your butt, extend your legs, and then spell the alphabet in the air with your feet to kind of "stretch" out....Worked for me, good luck to you!
        "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Sweaty

Thank you for your advice, boys, but now I´m at the point where I need to rest, the advice of my doctor Cry, to prevent a stress fracture, so much therapy and rest, to see if they stand idle so long. I hope to recover soon achieve my goals. Smile I hope to have better news, by the way, bendajes to sustain muscles are quite fantastic relieve pain. gracias Big grin
          Gig

I swear by toe rises. They really helped me.

thumbs up!

I'm sidelined with the same thing, so I literally feel your pain. I haven't run in about 11 days, and today is the first day in a long time I didn't feel the "ache". Now I'm debating how long to wait. I REALLY want to get back out to run. I never run too far, or too fast but I could use some holiday stress relief. But, I don't want to make things worse...
              2010 Goals
              1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
              2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
              3. sub 30 min 5k
              4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
              celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I read about the below exercises in a different foum's discussion that helped me a ton. It's a shame I don't have the penname of the originator, because these exercises are great. Toe taps: when sitting down, with your feet flat, leave your heels on the floor and tap your toes up and down. 50 with your feet pointing straight ahead; 50 with them pointing to the right, 50 with them pointing to the left. Repeat whenever you remember, until you think you'll scream if you do another set. Then do another set.

Chris
                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

I had them when I first tried to start running. How I "fixed it": -I stopped heel-striking. This was totally unnatural for me. When I run barefoot I land on my forefoot, not my heel, even at slow paces. So I stopped heel-striking, bought some light, lower profile shoes that don't have big heels, and made the conversion to a forefoot strike. My calves were sore at first but I'll take that any day over shin splints. -I stopped over-striding. I increased my cadence (number of steps per minute) to almost 180, which in turn shortened my stride. By doing this you spend less time on each foot and tend to land softer. You don't pound your feet into the ground anymore (which goes hand in hand with wearing less-cushioned, lower profiled shoes).

Sweaty

Big grin I would like to thank everyone for their advice really have been better aid as my doctor, I have taken into account all your comments and I really feel much better. I dropped the speed of my steps and I have better attention to my footstep as running to correct my stride, I think there is my problem. But you know what, I think my problem goes a little further, committed an unforgivable mistake a couple of months ago, i´m doing stretching and injured a tendon, suffering a small tear in my groin tendon while until the pain goes hip and has cost me I a lot of time recovering , 3 months ,and the pain of injury in my shin began after that, and relate one thing to another, just because it began a whle after and the same leg. I think I have to learn to run again. Confused, maybe this two things have connection. Undecidedi will have to take more care .

SMART Approach

Do alot of calf stretching. Also, do dorsiflexion exercises (toe ins with resistance) i.e. band, cable, weight plate on toe etc. Warm up shin before activity and ice afterwards. Make sure you have a stability shoe if you pronate/overpronate. Orthotics cured my shin splints but that's me. More than likely, being a fairly new runner, you are racing too much and/or running too hard before your body has adapted. Slow down the pace and have a progressive, controlled plan.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

chrimbler

Hi, I'm new here, but not so new to running, so I'll add my 2 cents. When I had shin splints, I cut back on my runs, went slower, but that didn't do it for me physically or mentally, so someone told me to try acupuncture...so...scepticaly I did...2 visits later, all cleared up!! Then I decided that it was my running style that was causing the problem, so I got the book 'Chi Running' applied the principles (which took some time) and have been running injury free ever since. So anyway try acupuncture, it may only take 1 treatment or it may take more but it does work Chris
                        Run like you stole it!
                        pitrunner

I read about the below exercises in a different foum's discussion that helped me a ton. It's a shame I don't have the penname of the originator, because these exercises are great. Toe taps: when sitting down, with your feet flat, leave your heels on the floor and tap your toes up and down. 50 with your feet pointing straight ahead; 50 with them pointing to the right, 50 with them pointing to the left. Repeat whenever you remember, until you think you'll scream if you do another set. Then do another set.
                          I have to second this. I was having a terrible time with shin splints this fall and the toe taps eased my pain almost immediately. I think the toe taps plus lots of calf strectching kept my shin splints at bay ever since.
                            Another good exercise (got it from my coach): stand with your back against a wall, set your feet approximately a shin's length (maybe a little farther) in front of you. Keeping heels on the floor, lift your feet up and down slowly 15 times, then fast 15 times. Repeat. Incorporate with your strength training and cross training days. Once you've done this for a few weeks, add some light weight by resting a 3-5 lb. dumb bell on your thighs. My recommendation for any injury - you need to be pain free for at least 2-3 days before gradually working your way back into the exercise. And although I understand your excitement for having round running - remember you're in it for a lifetime, therefore, you have plenty of time to accomplish your goals. Slow down, enjoy - - and get off the sidewalks! Wink

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sweaty

"My recommendation for any injury - you need to be pain free for at least 2-3 days before gradually working your way back into the exercise. And although I understand your excitement for having round running - remember you're in it for a lifetime, therefore, you have plenty of time to accomplish your goals. Slow down, enjoy - - and get off the sidewalks! " That was very sweet, thank you. Smile