Worst run ever! (Read 964 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, maybe not the worst run ever, but mine in a long time. I should have listened to my first instinct this morning (the little voice that said don't get out of bed and run, stay under the covers where its warm). But I didn't. I got up and went for my run. Once I started, I realized I felt crappy, wanted to stop, but didn't. Made one of those deals I make with myself when I sometimes need the motivation to continue. Anyway...I ran 7 miles (which is what I wanted to run) but at my slowest time ever in awhile and feeling crappy the whole time!! Question is...am I overtraining? just being lazy? is it because its almost Fri.? Do I ditch my longer run of 9 tomorrow? or the 15 on Sunday? I just don't know what to do to get out of this funk! Ok, feeling better now that I vented. Would appreciate any advice. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Was it all a dream?

Probably just one of those days... You have made some significant jumps in mileage in the past couple weeks, but I doubt you're overtraining. See how tomorrow goes, and if you're still feeling terrible cut the run short.

Think Whirled Peas

Probably just one of those days... You have made some significant jumps in mileage in the past couple weeks, but I doubt you're overtraining. See how tomorrow goes, and if you're still feeling terrible cut the run short.
        Yep, I concur. Chalk it up to a bad run, nothing more. If the next couple are equally (or worse) crappy, then you may want to take a day or two off. Everybody has a lousy run. They happen. Don't let them get you down. Instead, realize that they end up making the GREAT ones feel better, b/c you now have something to compare it to!!! Stay in the game, it'll work out fine! Q MTA: bad spellar...

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

My legs are killing me

It looks like you've had alot of great runs lately. Don't sweat the bad one. Even Tiger Woods has an off day sometimes.

Giants Fan

Thanks guys! Ok, I am up for a challenge...I think I will see how tomorrow goes and take the advice on if it feels crappy to just cut tomorrow's run short. I feel a little better. Here's hoping to a better run tomorrow! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

JakeKnight

I looked at your training and saw two obvious things: first, you've run a lot of "long" runs in a short period. If you're really burned out, move this week's 15 miler to next weekend. More importantly, there isn't much variation in your pace. Your recent easy runs have been run at almost (and in one case exactly) the same pace as your "tempo" runs, and your longer runs have been run at the same pace, too (or even faster). It's the oldest advice in the book, but you need more variation in pace. Your easy days should be truly easy; your quality days should be hard. If I were you, I'd be running the easy days at least a full minute slower than you currently are. If you want to rock the hard days, fine - but there shouldn't be more than a couple of them a week. As for the long run pace, people debate that. I run mine slow. And I mean slow. Some people suggest running them pretty hard. One good compromise there is to make them progression runs: run the first few miles easy, get progressively faster, run the last several miles at close to race pace. Bottom line: in my opinion, its not exactly surprising you had a bad run. If you run frequently and always at the same effort, you get that feeling. It's no different than lifting weights with the same effort and intensity day after day. It doesn't make you stronger, it makes you weaker. Just my couple of rubles.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

More importantly, there isn't much variation in your pace. Your recent easy runs have been run at almost (and in one case exactly) the same pace as your "tempo" runs, and your longer runs have been run at the same pace, too (or even faster).
                One of the reasons I am going to HAVE to venture into the world of Garmi......sigh. I can't seem to get my shit together with trying to slow down on my own, every time I run, it's usally with HUB, and he has the garmin and tells me what I am running which is just identical every single time. Now that I have started Half Marathon Training, ( Novice)I am really trying hard to kick it way back in the pace department. I am far too new a runner to be running my 5K race speed every single run. Sigh..... I'll be a real runner one day..... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

dev_08

You may want to try what I do on my recovery days...I don't wear my watch. I know, this is blasphemous for us OCD runners Wink. I run slowly by feel and there is no temptation to try to beat my times from previous days. Next time you feel like that during the run, just turn your watch off and take it easy the rest of the way. You want to save the intensity for your workout days anyways. I also agree with the previous advice on varying your pace. Your easy runs should not be at the same pace as your tempo and long runs.

Giants Fan

Ok, so slow down on the easy days huh? I will try. I think I've been trying to get faster by race that I have been pushing myself every day so I can get my pace down by May 4th. I will try to slow down my easier days. I'll try the "no watch" thing. That does sound like a good idea. CC

Charles Schulz

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, so slow down on the easy days huh? I will try. I think I've been trying to get faster by race that I have been pushing myself every day so I can get my pace down by May 4th.
                      It may seem counterintuitive, but running slow helps. Running slow allows you to recover. Recovery allows you to run more. Running more makes you faster. For most people, more miles will lead to greater improvement than more speed. Also, slow on your easy days allows you to get more out of your hard days.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

It may seem counterintuitive, but running slow helps. Running slow allows you to recover. Recovery allows you to run more. Running more makes you faster. For most people, more miles will lead to greater improvement than more speed. Also, slow on your easy days allows you to get more out of your hard days.
                        Jeff's right. I've been running slower for over 6 weeks building a base and am now in the 40 mpw range and climbing. I'm working a low heart rate (Maffetone type) program which is not for everyone and at times simply bores the hell out of me. But I have seen improvements in speed and its from building miles and resultant strength (I guess). I started running this program and was 10 mpm and now I am 9:30 mpm. Once I build base and can add some variation (tempo, hills, etc.) I expect even faster times. Ok you can all stop laughing about my version of faster. All this and no injuries. I just relax and enjoy the sights. Takes my mind off the daily grind. We all have crap runs but your log shows too little variation to not create burn out. Good luck on May 4th. Just my two lira or francs or won or ...... Rubles - nice touch Jake

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A run in which you complete your milage and don't injure yourself can be all bad!
                          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                          finney

Resident pinniped

I think Jake is right on this one and I also think you're doing the same thing I did when I started running and that's run every run as though it's a "no pain, no gain" situation. I didn't understant at all how I could gain anything from a run that didn't seem difficult. I got shin splints, PF, a pulled hamstring and some other random injuries out of the whole process. It's not a crime to slow down. Smile Take a couple days off and then make tempo runs fast, easy runs slow. Of course this advice doesn't really hold if you're just starting to build your base, but you're beyond that point.
                              You finished. That's not a bad run. A bad run is quitting after a mile or two--knowing before hand that you weren't into it and should have just called it a rest day or biked or x-trained. Everyone has crappy runs. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff