Rules of the Road (Read 1037 times)

giddy-yup

Hoping for some references to information or other threads, or feedback on other's experiences as far as good rules to follow to keep yourself safe road running, and not endanger anybody else on the road, for that matter. Since I've moved the majority of my training to the road, I've run both with the flow of traffic and against. Personally it seems safer running against traffic, since I can see the cars and trucks coming and can adjust my line accordingly, rather than running with the flow, where I cannot not see traffic coming and don't knowing who's paying attention to me or not. But the bikers don't seem to like it all that much (althought I do try to take the road-side line and give them the curb-side since I can see the traffic and they cannot), and darn-it if about 30 to 40% of people turning right onto the road I'm on never stop to look for pedestrians coming from their right. If no car's coming from their left, they're off! I get to dart out of the way quite often, even had somebody chase me down to say it was my fault because they didn't expect me to be there (huh? i thought you had to look both ways?!). Thanks.

Just Be

Hoping for some references to information or other threads, or feedback on other's experiences as far as good rules to follow to keep yourself safe road running, and not endanger anybody else on the road, for that matter. Since I've moved the majority of my training to the road, I've run both with the flow of traffic and against. Personally it seems safer running against traffic, since I can see the cars and trucks coming and can adjust my line accordingly, rather than running with the flow, where I cannot not see traffic coming and don't knowing who's paying attention to me or not. But the bikers don't seem to like it all that much (althought I do try to take the road-side line and give them the curb-side since I can see the traffic and they cannot), and darn-it if about 30 to 40% of people turning right onto the road I'm on never stop to look for pedestrians coming from their right. If no car's coming from their left, they're off! I get to dart out of the way quite often, even had somebody chase me down to say it was my fault because they didn't expect me to be there (huh? i thought you had to look both ways?!). Thanks.
      I don't like road running on busy streets at all, but when I do it, I always run towards traffic. Also, I always assume that all drivers will hit me, even if I make eye contact with them, and I always yield to them, even if yielding to them means running to the back of a parking lot and taking an extra x amount of minutes to get back on course. I will never run in front of a car if the driver signals me to do so, ever. I've had drivers tell me to go several times but what they fail to realize is that there are a ton of people making rights onto the street they're trying to exit... better to have a pissed off driver cussing to their family about the idiot runner they encountered that wasted 20 seconds of their time than wasting the rest of your day in the ER.

Just Be

I'd argue that the following are the 3 most basic road rules when it comes to running: 1. You're absolutely *never* safe. 2. Always assume and attempt to avoid, but prepare, for the absolute worst. 3. Always run toward traffic. Any cyclist who is riding into traffic is violating state driving law (in as many states to which I know the rules) they are considered a vehicle and must ride with traffic to be legal.

The voice of mile 18

agree with above run against traffic this way you can at least see what traffic is doing

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

If there is an SUV approaching I get nervous. Almost got hit twice by "soccer moms" in their SUV's. Once the look both ways for cars and not see the person standing accross the street from them as they cross a major road thing... the other time the woman just wouldn't slow down and move over she just held her line and I dove into the ditch... This weekend I got clipped by a driver because she refused to stop and yield to the pedestrian and on-coming traffic instead she kept going at 5-10 miles and hour and I trusted she would move over and I got hit by the side mirror... If I don't start yeilding to cars I am going to have a trip to the hospital! I just have to learn that cars own the road and I have no right to be out there running.

Just Be

I just have to learn that cars own the road and I have no right to be out there running.
              That's not what pedestrian laws would have you think, but sadly, it's the best way you can keep yourself safe. In the most extreme case, I've waited almost 20 minutes at a busy intersection before I saw a situation in which I felt reasonably safe running across. In other cases where the intersection never allowed for safe passage, I've run several miles out of the way in order to find a detour that did. Avoid the temptation to be a 'proud pedestrian' and just jog into a crosswalk (as an example) because the law says you have the right of way, it's not worth the risk. I'm so done with running on busy streets it's not even funny. 99% of my running now is at local parks where vehicles aren't allowed, the track, or the treadmill. I even limit running in my own neighborhood, I've almost been hit there a few times and there are barely any drivers per hour there! It's like, they look for me and think "ooo runner, let me try to hit him!" For me, I see running as an amazing gift that can be taken away very easily so I do everything in my power to protect that gift.
                Running against the flow of traffic literally saved my life on one occasion. I was running on a road with no shoulder and saw an approaching car hugging the edge just in time to step into the ditch to keep from being hit. As it went by I noticed the driver buisily talking on a cell phone totally oblivious to me. If my back had been turned I would have been run over. Treat bicycles as cars and give them plenty of room road side. They don't have a lot of time to react because of their speed so if you give them plenty of room, it won't be an issue. Cars turning right NEVER yield to runners. That's just the way it is. The drivers are looking left for traffic and not looking for pedestrians, especially running pedestrians. Always assume that every car is driven by a madman out to kill you and you'll be fine running on the road. Tom
                rlemert

Regardless of what the "law" says about pedestrian rights-of-way, it's ALWAYS trumped by nature's laws - you know, things like F=MA, inertia, and all that. The latter say that when 1500 pounds of metal and 150 pounds of human come in contact, the human is going to do most of the bouncing. That's why I always run facing traffic, ready to get off the road at a moment's notice. (I once had a truck carrying a wide load coming toward me - he had no room to swerve to avoid me, so it really didn't make any difference whether or not the driver saw me.) Another thing I'll do is when I come up to an intersection where someone is trying to turn right, I'll run behind them. This way it doesn't matter whether or not they see me, if they pull forward and I'm behind them they can't hit me. It's also a 'courtesy' thing; it gives them a chance to 'go' whenever an opening appears instead of having to wait for me to get out of the way.
                    I do 90% of my runs in the city ... there is usually a lot of traffic and I'm becoming more patient.
                    because the law says you have the right of way, it's not worth the risk.
                    Like my mom says, right-of-way doesn't matter if you're dead!
                    Cars turning right NEVER yield to runners. That's just the way it is.
                    I do my best to make eye contact, wave, glare when I see a car turning and I have the right of way. I used to bang on the trunk with my fist, but I stopped doing that. I don't want to get shot.
                    2009: BQ?
                      Giddy-yup that's a great question. I'll try to answer it but I think a lot of the issues are in a gray area. 1. Run against traffic (leftside of road) unless the other side has a much better shoulder or something else that reasonably makes you sure it is safer. 2. Always attempt to make eye contact with drivers 3. Unless you're already in the intersection before a vehicle has arrived there the vehicle always has the right-of-way. They have to let you finish crossing properly but do not have to stop and let you start crossing. 4. Stay as close to the curb as is reasonably possible. 5. Bicycles are vehicles and have more roadway rights than you do, curbside hazards such as gravel, sewer grates and other debris effect bikes much more than they do you stay near the curb. If you're in a hurry find a better place to run... I always say "them cars can killya"

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I'd argue that the following are the 3 most basic road rules when it comes to running: 1. You're absolutely *never* safe. 2. Always assume and attempt to avoid, but prepare, for the absolute worst. 3. Always run toward traffic. Any cyclist who is riding into traffic is violating state driving law (in as many states to which I know the rules) they are considered a vehicle and must ride with traffic to be legal.
                        DITTO! When I got a new bike a few years back, I looked up which side of the road to ride my bike on in IL and it was clearly stated that bikes follow all standard traffic rules. But running against traffic is definitely the way to go. I've never had any close calls (thank God) but if I do, I want to see it coming!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It is now a state law in Maine that runners MUST run against traffic.
                            I have to run on roads and always run towards traffic. I have never had a problem with cars but then I'm out when the roads are desserted. I wear a really bright jacket and do try to hop out of cyclists way- they have been a problem as many of the Junior High kids ride to school for pre-school programs with no lights so I don't see them and they are on my side of the road. We haven't actually colided yet, and the kids have said sorry for scarying me a couple of times. I do have a huge problem in Boise just walking. I have been nearly hit by a car four times while they are turning corners. Especially in the downtown, drivers only look for cars and since most streets are one-way, they don't even glance at the crosswalk. They don't even notice me yelling they nearly hit me. By the way -I lived in Northern Ireland till I was 21. There, and it still worked last summer, you put a toe out into the road and cars slow down for you. The pedestrian has the right of way and drivers take notice. Unfortuneately, moving to the US that experience went 180 - here I swear some drivers speed up to get you Angry.
                              Very good question... I have done much of my running on the roads throughout my running career. A lot of what has been said is very accurate, I just have one point to add, since it is winter I have adopted the wearing of a reflective belt whenever I go out and run. Usually I am running just before it gets dark so the belt helps me for that reason also. I just know when it is sunny out and the sun is reflecting off the snow it is a lot harder for a car to see you if you are not wearing anything that stands out. Also, in the summer I have started to wear more reflective clothing (shorts, shoes, sock, whatever helps)... Unfortunately they really don't care about the runner on the road unless they know you and even then I am not so sure they are willing to slow down for you...
                                I don't like road running on busy streets at all, but when I do it, I always run towards traffic. Also, I always assume that all drivers will hit me, even if I make eye contact with them, and I always yield to them, even if yielding to them means running to the back of a parking lot and taking an extra x amount of minutes to get back on course. I will never run in front of a car if the driver signals me to do so, ever. I've had drivers tell me to go several times but what they fail to realize is that there are a ton of people making rights onto the street they're trying to exit... better to have a pissed off driver cussing to their family about the idiot runner they encountered that wasted 20 seconds of their time than wasting the rest of your day in the ER.
                                Many good points. The one about making eye contact is something that surprisingly few people do, but is an important one, imo; one more good reason for running towards traffic.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33