Volunteering at a race? Does it matter if it is for a non profit? (Read 300 times)

On On

Lady sues Rock and Roll (CGI) because she thought she was volunteering for a non profit.

Curious article in regards to volunteers for race organizations.  Does it matter to any of you if the organization putting on the race is a for profit or a non profit?

full disclosure, I own a for profit company that puts on races and we use volunteers.  We pay them in race credits which can be turned in to run for free.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

"The plaintiff claims she and others across the country volunteered because they thought CGI was a hearts-and-rainbows non-profit instead of the Walmart of distance running."

Seriously?! (MTA: Clarification: I can't believe anyone would think RockNRoll is a non-profit).

That said, I volunteer at races because it's fun and races don't happen without volunteers. (The biggest organization I've volunteered at races with is The Running Room.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

To me, yes it does matter in that I only have a limited # of times I'm available to volunteer and I'd prefer to use my time helping an local organization put on an quality event for their cause rather than helping a for-profit get labor for free. Realize this isn't a strident position...rather a preference.

Your approach of offering race credits makes a lot of sense to me, very common sense and reasonable.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

The mission of the organization putting on the race matters to me, yes. For profit vs. non-profit is a related but less important question (to me.)

Seriously though how do you accidentally volunteer without knowing that CGI is the Walmart of distance running?

Runners run

Slo

I'm somewhat on the fence here.

I have a strong bias against Competitor group.

I'm also an RD and sit on other race committees.

Around here most people assume that the race is for charity. I’ve seen the Rock and Roll call for volunteers and I’m pretty sure most volunteers are not aware they are helping an enterprise make a profit. Whether or not that would make a difference in the volunteer ranks…I don’t know. 90% of these people are not runners.

I have volunteered for an IRONMAN event on two occasions but that was to insure an entry to next years event.

And lastly, this year our city bent over backwards to close roads and provide city labor setting up road blocks…something our race has to pay for…to a for profit group at no charge. Kinda tough to swallow.

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I've been a race director for several years now so I understand the absolute NEED for good volunteers.  I definitely wouldn't volunteer with the huge races as I'm not a fan of them in general but some of the local ones (non-profit or not) I'd be happy to help out.

On another note, don't know how you don't realize that R&R is for profit.  Just look at the website?

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

King of PhotoShop

I just saw this same discussion on someone's FB thread and commented that I have but one criterion:  How transparent is the for-profit company about being for-profit?  An example will help.  We have one RD in the DFW area who will advertise (example here) "supports the Boy Scouts", and in reality the Boy Scouts man an aid station and earn $300 or so for their scout troop.  This lack of transparency is deliberately deceptive IMO.  The RRCA has standards regarding this issue, with transparency being right up there as very important.

As was stated earlier, all races need volunteers, and you may do as you please to volunteer at any of them, but you should be made fully aware of what you are volunteering for, and it is the responsibility of the sponsoring organization to disclose.  Spareribs

JPF

Couple of points not exactly responsive to the OP, but relevant to the underlying issue:

1.  I don't know that it really matters whether someone was fooled into volunteering.  The trend in employment law right now seems to be moving towards disallowing "volunteering" for a for-profit corporation as a violation of minimum wage laws.  Unpaid internships is the place a lot of the action is happening.  If I was Competitor I would be particularly concerned about the issue in California, which has strong employment protection and a very active class action plaintiffs' bar.  I guess a question could be whether the volunteers are really employees; I don't have the time or energy to really think that out right now.

2.  Possibly controversial position(?):  If a profit cannot be made at something without an army of unpaid volunteers, then a for-profit company is not the best vehicle for accomplishing that something.  Non-profits exist for the purpose of promoting running and putting on races, e.g., BAA, NYRR.

King of PhotoShop

Regarding my previous post on transparency and the RRCA, here is what I wrote two years ago regarding Komen and other races:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/02/susan-g-komen-and-the-latest-r.html/

Spareribs

Arimathea

Tessa

Caveat volunteer. It's your responsibility to inquire as to what you're supporting.

If I'm going to volunteer for an organization, I check it out if possible. If it's a nonprofit, I'll check the sites like Charity Navigator or Charity Watchdog, especially if I'm donating money as well as time.

If I'm volunteering for an event, I am doing it more for the participants and the beneficiaries (if applicable) than for the organization sponsoring the event.

I certainly wouldn't complain that I had been taken advantage of because I found out that the organization putting on the event was for-profit and I had donated my time.

And with events like road races that require so many people to make them successful I don't think there would be many of these events if everyone got paid. It's not just the wages, though those would be a considerable bill. It's things like payroll taxes (employer pays Social Security and Medicare, for instance) and workers compensation insurance for which premium is based on total payroll and checking everyone's legal right to work and...you get the idea. The cost would be phenomenal. That would raise the cost of the race so high that most potential entrants would decide not to register.

I thank the volunteers who are out there riding the course looking for runners in trouble, handing out water, waving a "this way!" sign, giving up their morning for a T shirt and a slice of pizza. They are greatly appreciated. I figure they are capable of investigating what they're donating their time and effort to and choosing whether or not to be a part of the event.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Comes up as a frequent issue for some at local races...  We get ripped apart on the for-profit races because they're for-profit.  However, what's often forgotten is that those races are the ones that are creating the seed money for the benefit races and floating the costs for smaller non-profit races.

I only volunteer at a few, select races anymore.  One being because I always get guilt-tripped into it, and a few others because I like 'em.

Something witty

Kalsarikännit

On another note, don't know how you don't realize that R&R is for profit.  Just look at the website?

I think their charity involvement is more of the problem.

CGI, a for-profit company, recruits volunteers like Liebesman by obscuring its status in its marketing and communication. It does this by selling "Official Charity" sponsorships, the suit alleges, paid for in the form of a minimum 10 runners at $165 each. The charity names are then further used to help recruit volunteers

I think Competitor can be awfully deceptive about its involvement with charities, and this just falls into that category. They claim to have an "official charitiy" but don't give any of the (large) entry bucks to that charity (http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/17/3792241/raleighs-rock-n-roll-marathon.html) and even the American Cancer Society has split with them because their involvement has costs them more money than they have raised.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

The "Walmart of distance running" says it all.

Hoban-Jay

To me, yes it does matter in that I only have a limited # of times I'm available to volunteer and I'd prefer to use my time helping an local organization put on an quality event for their cause rather than helping a for-profit get labor for free. Realize this isn't a strident position...rather a preference.

Your approach of offering race credits makes a lot of sense to me, very common sense and reasonable.

Ditto...

I do it in support of The Runners and The Charity.  If it's a for profit organization running the event, then they should have their paid personnel working the event.

...with that said, I run ALMOST exclusively charity races,,,I've been snookered into into running for profit events, but that was because I didn't investigate them well enough,  A marathon is my main exception...there aren't many that are exclusively or mainly charitable events.

Kalsarikännit

...with that said, I run ALMOST exclusively charity races,,,

Every single damn local 5k and 10k are all affiliated with charities. This makes me NOT want to do them. They are little more than a money grab, put on by people that I have to assume have never put on a pair of running shoes in their lives. Every time I peek at a 5k, it is $35 and the website has no pertinent information about the race, just lots of info on how to fundraise. I want my charities to be charities and my races to be races.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart