Groin Pain (Read 136 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, I am a little concerned. I've got my first marathon in less than 3 weeks (the Monumental) and this has suddenly flared up since Sunday's 20 miler. It's not really painful unless I try to aggravate it but it's more like a tightness or pull that I feel when running. I tried to run 4 miles this morning but stopped at 1, I am not sure what it is but I don't want to take the chance of it being something serious that ends my chances of running and finishing my first marathon so I am taking a couple of days off this week and then starting off small and easy. Thankfully I am in the taper stages so no more high mileage.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

flatfootruns

sorry i'm late to your post...how did your mary go?"...with groin ? pain...

pedaling fool

sorry i'm late to your post...how did your mary go?"...with groin ? pain...

Yeah, I missed this thread also. I've had a few groin pulls and they suck. They are painful and  last a very long time before healing. One of my groin pulls was from doing speedwork, very important to start that stuff slowly and warming up is very important.

So, how are you doing?

EDIT: I just read your PR stats under your signature line; seems like it had an adverse effect. I don't know of any shortcuts to healing a pulled groin, just gotta take it slow and easy for a long while, depending how bad it is...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:40 (7:57 min/mile pace) 

10k - 54:39 (8:48 min/mile pace)

15k -1:23:31 (8:59 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:56:38 (8:54 min/mile pace)  New PR as of 10/04/2014 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26.2 - (Debut) - 4:48:10 --- Redemption Will be on November 7, 2015

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious. I did my typical weekend run, (building mileage for a marathon in June), and felt fine afterwards. At work Monday, I felt fine until lunch time and then I noticed blood in my urine, (not good). By the time I got home, things began to swell and by midnight my wife wanted to take me to the ER.

I did see the doctor, and I am still awaiting a blood culture to return from the hospital. As of the moment, no one can explain what happened or why, so the doctor marked it off as a "random" infection.

My question is... Can this be a running injury? Or would I have felt it sooner? Obviously, I can't run at the moment. Has anyone else experienced this? And what was your recovery time?

running metalhead

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious. I did my typical weekend run, (building mileage for a marathon in June), and felt fine afterwards. At work Monday, I felt fine until lunch time and then I noticed blood in my urine, (not good). By the time I got home, things began to swell and by midnight my wife wanted to take me to the ER.

I did see the doctor, and I am still awaiting a blood culture to return from the hospital. As of the moment, no one can explain what happened or why, so the doctor marked it off as a "random" infection.

My question is... Can this be a running injury? Or would I have felt it sooner? Obviously, I can't run at the moment. Has anyone else experienced this? And what was your recovery time?

I have the normal cases of either dark brown urine due to footstrike heamolysis or blood when I train very hard and do unusual things such as pliometrics, running with brand new shoes on terrain I am not used too and this kind of stuff, but these are normally gone in a few hours.

I commented this to a doctor who is a family friend (and also runs) and he explained that it was due to lack of training of certain core muscles, not a specific muscle but these that you normally do not use, this causes that your bladder moves and produces small injuries to the walls. Nothing serious but it indicates that you are somewhat out of shape. After a few more training sessions this normally disappears.

What you are commenting sounds completely different and I would visit a doctor ASAP. Blood in urine when you do not know the cause is not good.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Feeling the growl again

I have the normal cases of either dark brown urine due to footstrike heamolysis or blood when I train very hard and do unusual things such as pliometrics, running with brand new shoes on terrain I am not used too and this kind of stuff, but these are normally gone in a few hours.

Nothing you describe is normal.  Running while dehydrated causing your bladder or urethera to rub together and run some blood for a short time, OK.  But the stuff you describe is not that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

As I noted above, runnning dehydrated with an empty bladder can, occasionally, lead to some blood in the urine.  Often urination will result in passing a visible clot.  I have never heard of this not manifesting immediately upon finishing the run or the first urination afterwards.

In your case, it does not sound clearly running-related and a run to the doc was totally called for.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills