Columbus 26.2 (Read 590 times)

Sorry for the delay. Been sort of busy when I got back to the office. For what it is worth, here goes. Left for Columbus from Oakville around 6:30 on Sat. We caravaned down with a couple of friends, one running the other walking the HM. Aside from a bit of heavy rain through NY and PA, the drive was uneventful. Checked into the hotel and walked down to the run expo to pick up race kit, etc. After driving downtown in search of pasta at Martini's and being confronted by an hour long wait for a table, we ended back at the Hyatt for their bottom-less pasta bowl. It was fine, though nothing to write home about. After a final gear check, went to bed around 9:30. Up before my alarm at 5:00. It is worth noting that I slept terribly. Not sure if it was nerves, or just the unfamiliarity of the hotel. After a quick breakfast of a couple of apple cinnamon pitas, a banana and a bottle of orange Gatorade, I gave my wife and daughter a quick hug and kiss and headed out to meet my friends in the lobby. It was only a short walk to the race start. While waiting in the port-o-john line I hear someone calling my name. Sure enough, it was Dave (aka Daddyo). Nice to finally put a face to a name. Strange we had to travel from Toronto to Columbus to finally meet. And, how he was able to pick me out of a crowd of 10,000 wearing a garbage bag in the dawn's early light is beyond me. We exchanged a few quick pleasantries, wishes of good-luck and he was off. After a brief helicopter fly-over, the horn sounded and WE WERE OFF! Very pleasant morning. Clear and about 50-55F. I had a feeling it was going to be a warm one. I would soon be proven right! The first mile passed well. Around 8:48 pace. Right on track, if not a bit quick. Feeling good, shaking out the cobwebs and the pre-race neves. In fact, the next 2 miles along E. Broad St were also good. Starting to hit my stride now. Things are rolling. Ditched the gloves at some point in here. As we turned onto Parkview just past mile 3, we headed into a gorgeous residential area. Low hanging trees, enormous stately homes and fantastic crowd support. Was nice to see the town get behind the race like they did. Quite flat through this section, though still lots of congestion as things hadn't yet started to thin out. Somewhere in here we pass the Governor's residence and he was outside waving to the runners. I thought that was pretty cool. And, so it went for miles 4, 5, 6. This is probably one of the nicest sections of the race course. Somehwere in here I met up with my running coach, Cindy, and we ran together to where the HM split from the marathon just past mile 13. Crossed the halfway point going up S High St at around 1:50, feeling like a champ. All systems go... Let me start by saying High St is long. Very long. We covered about 5 miles. Once you pass the cutoff for the HM the crowd support started to wane and the sun was now out full force. Still, my splits were good, and I was feeling strong. Just past mile 15, I slowed to walk for the first time through the water station. I had made a concerted effort to drink plenty and thought I was. Around mile 16 I was hit by the first of what would end up being many sudden, sharp and painful leg cramps. This is effectively where my race ended. It was as if I had been shot. One moment I was running strong, upright, and the next I was clutching my hamstring midstride, limping along. And, so it went for more or less the rest of the race. If you check out the splits in my log, you can see my undoing. SO FRUSTRATING, since I was still feeling strong and capable. That was the hardest part. I stretched, I drank, I ate GU, nothing helped. From here on in it was walk/run/limp the rest of the way. Miles 17-20 were the worst. My heartfelt thanks to the kind people of Columbus. Your kind words of encouragement and support kept me going. At one point, I pulled off to stretch my hamstring, and when I tried to get up my other leg cramped and I fell back on the grass. One kind fellow offered me a banana. Another lady asked if there was anyone she could call, or even drive me to the finish line! I said thank you, but no, though she could help me to my feet that I would walk the rest of the way if I had to but that I was finishing. She gave me a hug, and the crowd clapped and cheered. It almost brought me to tears. I can't express here how frustrating this was. 18 months of training. Countless mornings of getting up at 4:30. Track workouts, hill repeats. Fuck. All I could think about was: Finish this fucking thing... After mile 20, it is all downhill. Literally, not figuratively speaking. You get to see the skyline of Columbus and for the first time realize there really is an end in sight. From miles 21 to about 24 or so, you run through Ohio State University. Past the football stadium and basketball arena. Plenty of cheering spectators. The last few miles were a blur. Miles 25 and 26 and I am starting to feel a bit better and am running without walking for the first time since mile 17 or so, albeit slowly. Coming down Park and making the turn on to Nationwide Blvd with the finish in sight was something. Here I was on the look out for my wife and daughter. They had a big sign made with HTFU on it, so they'd be easy to spot. Coming down the hill, with the finish right in front of me, there they were on the left. With time goals shot, and the hope of finishing under 4 hours long gone, I detoured to see them. After a few hugs, kisses, a few I love yous, I am so proud of yous, and many teary eyes (I had to put my sunglasses back on!), I turned back towards the finish line. As I crossed the line, I raised one arm to the sky and pointed up. I did it. My first marathon in 4:23 and change. Not what I'd hoped for but it is what it is. Can't change that. I finished and of that I am proud. Lots to improve on and I will be back. Only 201 days until the Mississauga Marathon on May 11, 2008 Big grin
      Great report, Dave. Sorry to hear that you had hamstring troubles and them putting a crimp in your finishing time. But you finished your first marathon - an achievement in and of itself - and not a small one. It sounds like you are back in the swing of things planning your next one! Thanks for sharing your story!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Another Passion

Way to stick it out and finish brother! Your best is yet to come! Wink My soft GOAL for my first marathon next April is 4:30:00, intermediate 4:15:00, and highest is 4:00:00 or just under. But, my OVERALL goal is to just finish! You did well under the circumstances! Congratulations!

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

Tuf! TUF! TUF!!! Dave, that is one of the best race reports ... ever. Training is tough, cramping sucks. But finishing rocks, at any time. I am looking forward to a few training runs with you as ironically Mississauga is my next planned full M. I ran the half there and loved it. Looking forward to doing the full. Well done! Dave
            WOW! WAY to TUFF it out Dave!! Sooooooooo many people would of bailed at that point (myself included probably). Great report! Congrats on finishing your first marathon!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I've said it before.... I'll say it again. Way to go Dave! Be Proud! A lesser man would have quit.... Go Argos!
              derek

Congratulations Dave! You did a great job. I know how frustrating it is getting cramps as I've had the same problem, but you never gave up and you crossed the finish line!!

Derek

TAE! Great race report I could almost feel the pain while reading it! And you did finish it!!! There is a lot of races coming up next year that you can run. And I am certain that one day we will all do the BIG B! Thanks Arne
                  Goals 2008 1: BQ/PB <3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman done="" feb="" 17th="" bq="" 3:27="" 2:="" half="" ironman="" done="" aug="" 10="" 3:="" 2="" or="" more="" m.="" done="" feb="" 17th="" and="" boston="" april="" 22.="" 4:="" sprint="" tri="" done="" july="" 5="" goals="" 2009="" 1:="" the=""></3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman>

Marathonmanleto

That a boy! You can now call yourself a marathoner. Aren't they fun!
                      I did it. My first marathon in 4:23 and change.
                      The variety of great race reports on this site is amazing. I've never actually witnessed a marathon but I feel like I have. (I have to remedy this glaring deficiency in '08, I live all of eight miles from the Boston finish line.) Considering the challenges the day threw at you, I think 4:23 and change is a great result. Way to git 'er done.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

With time goals shot, and the hope of finishing under 4 hours long gone, I detoured to see them. After a few hugs, kisses, a few I love yous, I am so proud of yous, and many teary eyes (I had to put my sunglasses back on!), I turned back towards the finish line. As I crossed the line, I raised one arm to the sky and pointed up. I did it. My first marathon in 4:23 and change. Not what I'd hoped for but it is what it is. Can't change that. I finished and of that I am proud. Lots to improve on and I will be back. Only 201 days until the Mississauga Marathon on May 11, 2008 Big grin
                        This says it all. Congratulations are in order. As the days go by, you'll forget the pain and sadness of missing your goal but you'll remember the moments with family at the finish. Very touching ..... Smile

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Jeffrey

First marathon! Sorry to hear about the leg cramps but you persevered. I liked the detour you took near the end to get some family time! Very cool.

Me and my gang in Breck

Great report.Way to stay tough and finish!!! Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Into the wild

Good work tough; inspirational m8. Thanks for a great report.

Shut up and run

va

Tuf, Congratulations on completing your first marathon! Loved the report, thanks!