First car (Read 568 times)

Just a thought.... If you had the money would you buy your 16 year old son/daughter a car for his/her birthday or holiday gift?

Michelle

(depends on how much money I had) I'd probably get them a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. If they were short, I'd get them a Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Toyota Tercel or Toyota Supra. If I was in PA and buying used, I'd probably look outside of the state to some place where corrosion is not as big a problem. modal (who hopes to produce or adopt kids one day and who was just joking about the Toyota Supra)

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep...we've already purchased Dane his first car--an '06 Mazda 3s hatchback--I'm totally not kidding. He knows he has to help take care of it if he wants to inherit it when it's 11 years old.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Man, I thought this was going to be a fun thread about our first cars Cry (in case anyone was wondering --- in 1998 I had a 1987 Oldmosible Delta 88. It was a big grey tank, and it was awesome. It met its untimely end when I crashed it into a tree. RIP Delta, RIP)
          2009: BQ?
            Yep...we've already purchased Dane his first car--an '06 Mazda 3s hatchback--I'm totally not kidding. He knows he has to help take care of it if he wants to inherit it when it's 11 years old.
            Haha, I thought you said when HE'S 11 years old ... thinking, damn, isn't the driving age still 16?
            2009: BQ?
              I want to buy my oldest a car but my husband and ex-husband say "NO WAY". Which is really annoying since my ex is in upper management with a local Toyota dealership. Trish....My first car was a 1976 Ford Granada that my mom bought for me for $700 from an elderly woman at my church. I wouldn't get my son something quite like that but it wouldn't have to be brand new, just safe. My ex-husband's first car back when we were dating was a 1987 Olds 442 Limited edition with T-tops. That thing was awesome!!! He used to let me drive it to school.

Michelle

madness baby

I would do it. But it would be used of course. Kirsten, I love your idea for Dane!
                deb
                  You should get them a late model Ford Galaxy convertible with side pipes!

Vim

My ex-husband's first car back when we were dating was a 1987 Olds 442 Limited edition with T-tops. That thing was awesome!!! He used to let me drive it to school.
                    Maybe you should get him a 1987 Monte Carlo! Big grin

Vim

Maybe you should get him a 1987 Monte Carlo! Big grin
                      The enemy! That would be funny. Big grin I always wanted a Buick Grand National...with t-tops of course. (wow, I am truly showing my age with this)

Michelle

va

We got my son a used Volvo wagon when he was 16. He is now 17, and a senior in high school. Although he certainly likes it, it is REALLY nice for my wife and I since we don't have to chaufer him around all the time, especially to and from school. The only bad thing is that I worry about him gettiing in an accident. My first car was a 1971 Toyota Corolla, $375.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would do it. But it would be used of course. Kirsten, I love your idea for Dane!
                          It'll be a perfect first car...6 airbags, ABS, nice stereo, sunroof...and 5 speed manual, so he really has to learn how to drive, not just steer and brake. My first car was an '87 Mazda 626LX. Money pit...by the time I got it at 120k miles EVERYTHING needed replacing, including the transmission. First and last automatic we've owned. I don't ever want another car with a $$ transmission. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

va

...as to the gift idea, a car would make a real special birthday or holiday gift, especially if he wasn't expecting it...you get a small jewelry box, put the key in it, and wrap it...have the care waitining outside...

The voice of mile 18

I agree Hell No. the 16 is too damn young and boys and girls that age just do too many stupid things in cars (actually people of all ages do stupid things driving) my first car was '76 Dodge aspen w/ T tops. and trishie what sort of tree can take out a '88? must have been a redwood cause those bad boys could handle a serious beating

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Go ahead and get it! He'll be so excited. I got a car from my parents for my 16th birthday. It was a huge pale yellow 1986 Pontiac Bonneville. We called it the "Bitchin' Banana." Of course, I wrecked it not too long afterwards. And nearly everyone I knew at that age wrecked their first car. So, if you do get him something, make sure it's big and very safe. And make sure he pays for his own gas, insurance, licensing, maintenance, etc. That's a good way to teach a kid about money management. Sara